Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Greatest Moisturiser Ever?

• 01-10-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Ladies of boards, I need your help...

I want to get a really good moisturiser but I'm not quite sure what one to go for. I've gone through loads of brands, from the expensive (Lancome, Clarins) to the cheap (Simple, Garnier) to the ill-thought-out and pointless (Clean and Clear) but I've yet to find that elusive Perfect Moisturiser, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I've got normal skin so basically I'm looking for something that will keep my skin healthy and give it a bit of a glow. I was thinking of going for something by Clinique (possibly the Super Defence Triple Action Moisturiser? Tried a sample of that recently and liked it) but am looking for any suggestions for any great moisturisers that people may have tried and would recommend.

And yes, before the deluge starts, I will talk to the person at whichever counter I buy from to make sure that it's right for my skin type, but I just want to get an idea of what people would recommend first.

Thanks a mil in advance for any suggestions, appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

well my fav one at the moment is estee lauder daywear plus - its smells really fresh, its light ( i can't use anything heavy) and it gives a lovely glow to my skin!

The only problem with recommending creams is that everyone's skin is different and what works well on one doesn't work well on another! I've used the clinique moisturising range before and although it was light and a nice texture, I never felt like it actually moisteurised my skin! My skin felt dry after a few weeks of using it. Wouldn't recommend Clarins as well for the same reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

i'm the same as you looking for the perfect moisturiser and have gone through many a lotion and potion, i haven't yet found an everyday moisturiser that I love, however found an amazing intensive moisturiser face mask by the body shop called the; Vitamin E Sink in Moisture Mask, can't remember how much it cost but I don't think I spent more than 20Euros on it.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I love my TimeDelay moisturiser from Boots. It is meant for older skin, but I'm only 16 and absolutely adore it! It's really light and absolutely melts into your skin and it has a gorgeous fragrance too! Also it has an SPF of 8 which is good for skin protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I love my TimeDelay moisturiser from Boots. It is meant for older skin, but I'm only 16 and absolutely adore it! It's really light and absolutely melts into your skin and it has a gorgeous fragrance too! Also it has an SPF of 8 which is good for skin protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I use Clinique and find them brilliant. Their 3-step is fabulous, but they have a ton of others. Definitely check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Piste wrote:

Love it so much you posted three times! :p I agree with you though my Mam uses it and I kept nicking it and ended up buying my own. Smells lovely and feels very different to normal moisturiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Vaseline! A glass of water!

I am a man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Newaglish wrote:
    Vaseline! A glass of water!

I am a man...
    Ha ha ah to be a man! ;) Though ye should use moisturiser too ;)

I have to agree with the Boots time delay one, only started using it recently, it's gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I am addicted to the Oil of Olat serum...... Its delic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Astral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I'm keen to give this time delay from Boots a go but I logged on to their website to have a look and there are loads to choose from! It's a bit confusing trying to choose one.
    So which ones do you girls use??

jessie1 wrote:
    I'm keen to give this time delay from Boots a go but I logged on to their website to have a look and there are loads to choose from! It's a bit confusing trying to choose one.
    So which ones do you girls use??

I use the one that you're supposed to use after their Microdermabrasion scrub. It can come in the same box as the Microdermabrasion scrub or on it's own. It's lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

I too have had this problem. Many many useless moisturisers out there.

The best moisturiser there is is Creme de la Mer moisturising lotion. It's v. v. expensive but is sooooo worth it. I use it when my skin needs a bit of a perk up about once a week so that it lasts a good while. You can get it in BT or can buy wee sample sizes and big sizes too on Ebay which are much much cheaper.

I use Body Shop Vitamin E illuminating face cream every day. This is an excellent cream and is about 12 euro for 50 ml. I would definitely recommend this moisturiser, it's a great base for make up, leaves a really great glow and absorbs really well.

My skin would be normal and a wee bit dry from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Thanks for all the advice everyone, appreciate it. I think Creme de la Mer is a bit out of my budget but I might try that Time Delay one from Boots, it sounds pretty good. I've heard good things about the Estee Lauder Daywear aswell which boffin pointed out, so might buy those two.

It's bonus time at the Clinique counter in BT at the moment though and I'm very tempted to go in there and splurge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My brother has a post Doctorate in Pharmacology. He knows lots of people in the beauty industry (e.g. the scientists who make moisturisers.)

Apparently there is little to no difference between a €10 moisturiser and a €100 moisturiser. All the additions such as seaweed or whatever are in such small quantities it cannot make a difference.

Basically you are paying for marketing and the idea of luxury by forking out for an expensive moisturiser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Definitely Clinique! And if it's bonus time then all the better. Their moisturisers are fabulous and worth every cent.

dublindude wrote:
    My brother has a post Doctorate in Pharmacology. He knows lots of people in the beauty industry (e.g. the scientists who make moisturisers.)

Apparently there is little to no difference between a €10 moisturiser and a €100 moisturiser. All the additions such as seaweed or whatever are in such small quantities it cannot make a difference.

Basically you are paying for marketing and the idea of luxury by forking out for an expensive moisturiser.

Yeah I've always wondered that....is it all in our heads that things are better just cause they're more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Shockin Stockin

I really like the NiveaVisage day and night cream, with SPF 8. Very nourishing and I defintely see a difference in my skin.
    Recently tried the Garnier one with SPF 15, it was horrrible! It streaked white, the sun proctector wasn't absorbed and kinda rolled off like dead skin when i applied my make up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MissFitz

Another vote for Daywear Plus by Estee Lauder. I have really sensitive skin but it hasn't caused any irritation and my skin feels silky smooth. It's not too thick/thin or rich. My boyfriend (who wouldn't notice anything appearance-related normally) commented that my skin is "glowing" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Nivea Aqua is really nice. It refreshes the skin, feels really light but moisturises really well. Absorbs very quicky too.

I'd also second the Body Shop Vitamin E cream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

For Face try Clinique Dramatically Different (Lotion for Dry Skin, Gel for Greasy) - They say Retinyls are a great ingredient in moisturisors so RoC is definately worth a try - I'm off to get some today to try.

Body Moisturisors - I don't think you can beat Nivea and some Palmers Cocoa butter for elbows etc!

Advertisement