Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checkpoints north of Rice Bridge this evening

• 01-10-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Coming home around 6.50 from KK this evening I encountered a tailback out to the Iarnrod Eireann freight depot, so I did what I usually do, and swung a U-ie, cut up by the Golf Club and down the Rockshire Road.

However, the traffic on the Ferrybank dualler was worse again, but I had no choice but to crawl in like everyone else.

The reason for the traffic became clear once we got to the bridge: Garda checkpoints. They'd pulled some people over though and it looked like a big deal.

Any idea what this was all about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Being like that for last few days now, must be a few drink driving going on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

fricatus wrote:
    Coming home around 6.50 from KK this evening I encountered a tailback out to the Iarnrod Eireann freight depot, so I did what I usually do, and swung a U-ie, cut up by the Golf Club and down the Rockshire Road.

However, the traffic on the Ferrybank dualler was worse again, but I had no choice but to crawl in like everyone else.

The reason for the traffic became clear once we got to the bridge: Garda checkpoints. They'd pulled some people over though and it looked like a big deal.

Any idea what this was all about?

Done the same myself today, they were on the bridge saturday evening as well, havent seen the gardai this busy in while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Got stopped by them on Friday and Saturday night on the bridge. They were there around 9pm both nights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They were present last night from before 7.30pm and were asking groups of cars to pull over. Shortly after 11pm they were still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

kensutz wrote:
    Got stopped by them on Friday and Saturday night on the bridge. They were there around 9pm both nights.

They were just checking you had the correct visa for travelling across the border :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

They made sure I wasn't getting anywhere near your place. Luckily my tax was still in date too.

They were up on New gate street last wednesday night checking tax and insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

The Guards haven't met their figure for this year yet so a big panic is on to pull people over and fine them to reach the cutoff point. :D It's the same every year!! I'm surprised you haven't noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Normally the quota filling takes place in the last week of the month, so they've changed tack!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

They were at in on Sunday from 7:30 till after 11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

What exactly were they checking? Just the normal tax/insurance/booze thing?
    Could their actions be linked to the recent travelling community feud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

shapez wrote:
    The Guards haven't met their figure for this year yet so a big panic is on to pull people over and fine them to reach the cutoff point. :D It's the same every year!! I'm surprised you haven't noticed.

proof?where did you find this out?if you wouldnt mind providing a link to where you got that info...assumptions can be dangerous things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

well lads i drive truck with my sales rep job and got pulled in just after bellview on way back to waterford and it was the RSA that were checking tax insurance and tachograph and not the guards this was about two o clock today

one of the roadstone trucks got pulled around the same time and brought down to the weigbridge at the port he was over weight and he had a punchure

Edit: sorry dbl post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Passed through it Friday night & Saturday night coming home from work, very common after 11 it seems the last while. Some gimp in an 03 Audi A4 nearly took the back of our car as we turned onto the bridge from the city side, started flashing lights and lit off across the bridge only to barely to stop in time for the waiting Garda. Result :D

There's about 4 squad cars on the port road now dipping trucks and generally checking tires and under containers any place where you could stuff something illegal possibly

the woman from the rsa must be mighty thick she asked me who owned the truck and yet it had kerry foods plastered all over the side and front of it duh like haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

the woman from the rsa must be mighty thick she asked me who owned the truck and yet it had kerry foods plastered all over the side and front of it duh like haha

lol

I heard on the news this evening that they found drugs in a lorry, I'm not sure but I think it was somewhere over that side of the city. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time

deisemum wrote:
    lol

I heard on the news this evening that they found drugs in a lorry, I'm not sure but I think it was somewhere over that side of the city. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time
    jez thats bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Why do the guards stop cars to check for tax? They don't come round your house to check you've paid your income tax;

Tax is revenue collection, nothing to do with them - well no more than making sure someone's paid income tax, inheritance tax, corporation tax etc is.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it is laughable all right. In the UK they have a big computer and if you don't pay your road tax the computer sends you a summons. The UK police do not check tax discs.

Why don't they use the computers in Shannon to send out tickets to out of tax cars instead of having Gardaí doing it?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Yes it is laughable all right. In the UK they have a big computer and if you don't pay your road tax the computer sends you a summons. The UK police do not check tax discs.

Why don't they use the computers in Shannon to send out tickets to out of tax cars instead of having Gardaí doing it?
    because our little country as advanced as its meant to be is still living about ten years behind and has,nt quite caught up with technology yet

Bond-007 wrote:

I think it does my mother got two warning letters from shannon saying pay your motor tax or you will be summoned to appear in court. It was for a car she had sold ages before hand. she rang shannon twice to tell them that she didn't own the car anymore but they told her to ignore it then. She hasn't been summoned to court yet, but that was a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

trishw78 wrote: »
    I think it does my mother got two warning letters from shannon saying pay your motor tax or you will be summoned to appear in court. It was for a car she had sold ages before hand. she rang shannon twice to tell them that she didn't own the car anymore but they told her to ignore it then. She hasn't been summoned to court yet, but that was a year ago.

Then she won't be.

But this does beg the question, if Shannon is able to do this, why are the Guards still doing it?

They'd be better deployed checking for proper driving licenses, (not provisional ones with no qualified driver) - then they might actually do some good and stop a few road deaths caused by unqualified drivers.

Don't get me started on this.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

trishw78 wrote: »
    No offence is commited unless the car is on a public road.

Advertisement