Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite instrumental.......

Options
  • 01-10-2007 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, one of my favorite instrumentals is Scarlet O Hara by Jet Harris (ex Shadows) alas i couldent find copy on you tube but this classic by the Shadows is on par with that http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9AS0zte5U&mode=related&search=

anybody else got a fav instrumental ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

John Coltrane's version of "My Favourite Things".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've always had a soft spot for Metallica's Call of Ktulu...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover", or nearly any song off of Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" and "Wired" albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

'Orion' by Metallica does it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Yeah, Metallica have a few (I'd like to say 'to live is to die' from justice, but technically its not an instrumental) and so do Iron Maiden (Genghis Khan, Transyllvania)- it was a tradition at one point that all heavy rock bands do at least one insrt. on their albums. The 80s pop funk band level 42 have a good few but 'heathrow' from their first album is a classic. James Brown's backing band often did instrumental pieces live (popcorn and the like) that were excellent.

Best Title for an instrumental? - 'Losfer Words' (Iron Maiden / Powerslave).

F--k it, why not?! The Dubliners ''Toss the feathers'', Great Trad track.

Bands don't do them anymore cos most aren't good enough to do a decent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Gabriels Oboe - Ennio Morricone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Orion by Metallica- RIP Cliff Burton and thanks to Rob Trujillio for showing me something I thought I'd never see live on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Bands don't do them anymore
    Sure they do! You just have to know where to look. For example, Nightwish have one on their latest album called "Last of the Wilds".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

I LOVE 'To Live is to Die' by metallica. GG klaus! Intrumental or not, its just a shockingly good piece of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

TelePaul wrote:
    Ennio Morricone
    What a genius. My favourite instrumental of all time is The Man With The Harmonica from the Once Upon a Time in the West soundtrack.
    Loads of Morricone's spaghetti western stuff is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Walls Get Smaller by The Music.

couldnt find a video on youtube for it but well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

An Ending (Ascent) by Brian Eno or
    Persian Love by Holger Czukay or
    Bron Yr Aur by Led Zeppelin or
    ok I'll shut up now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The entire instrumental Dark Passion Play album by Nightwish.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

At the moment mines John Williams Cavatina :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jamarduexz

Treefingers by Radiohead.
    Find it on their Kid A album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Rigsby wrote:
    John Coltrane's version of "My Favourite Things".

+1 Wonderful stuff indeed.

I could suggest any number of other jazz pieces such as Sidewinder by Lee Morgan or Take Five by Dave Brubeck, but instead allow me to recommend Metamorphisis I-V by Philip Glass.
    Wiki wrote:
    Glass's music is frequently described as minimalist, though he has distanced himself from that description, calling himself, among other things, a composer of "music with repetitive structures." Though his earliest music could be arguably be called minimalist, his later style has evolved significantly enough that the label is probably inappropriate for many of his works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Marroned By Pink Floyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Here is another one of my favorites, a big leap from jet harris and the Shadows i know lol .
    i saw these guys in the St Francis Xavier hall Dublin way back in early 80s .This opened their live show .....Astradyne from ultravox http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0Psd_lu5w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Songbird by Kenny G
    from Summer 1987. Check out his mullet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Quote Kelle - songbird from kenny G from Summer 1987. Check out his mullet!

This track reminds me of the video we watched as part of our catering training cours about 15 years ago , this was the background music on it lol .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah I remember when Krusty the Clown started to get into debt and was forced to open a clown college. Some of the stupid things he did with his money included lighting cigarettes with one-hundred-dollar bills and instructing his staff: "my house is dirty, buy me a clean one!" He also orders them to hire Kenny G to play in the elevator for him...

Tzetze and Music4life: Kudos for Philip Glass and Cavatina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Summertime by Miles Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Either A Tear for Eddie by ween or Resurrection by Apocalyptica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Saccadianjay

Bob Marley and Peter Tosh - Memphis

Advertisement