Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Mileage Audis

Options
  • 01-10-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Had a loan of a 95 Audi Coupe 4wd 2.2 Turbo for the last week. Never really was mad into them before but this car had me speechless for a week. It also cost me a fortune :D Had to give it back today and im thinking about what to do...

I cant afford something as mental as that but was looking at A4s with about 120-140,000 miles on them for about 4K which is all ive got right now. Does anyone have experience with A4s with that high mileage and what could be dangerous about buying them? im thinking the 1.9tdi models. Im not expecting coupe type performance but are they pokey?

Also does anyone know any mechanics that would call to a house to fix a CV joint in a primera? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

At that mileage, it's all about the service history. They're not too slow, although obviously nowhere near as quick as the coupé you were driving. I've long felt that the apparent quality of Audis is better than the actual quality. That said, you do see a few leggy ones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah ive always thought they were overpriced VWs to be honest its just the coupe felt nothing like the 150K it had done. Felt like new and I do see a lot of older 95-00 A4s and A3s going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The coupé may have had a lot of work done to make it feel that good. Personally, i'd go for a 150k Peugeot 406 HDI ahead of an A4 TDI. They have better engines, and far better suspension. All around, they're just a much nicer car to drive. And you'll get a better/newer one for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

well iw ould go for anything apart from a french car. The 1.9tdi is quiet good but if you dont care about the car go and buy a tuning box. Some of them make a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Audi exteriors and interiors are generally hard wearing and don't show the high miles that much. That is why UK imports are pretty popular for clocking.

As with any high mileage car parts tend to wear out so some sort of service history is important. Things like suspension and brakes come to mind. A well maintained high mileage can indeed be a good buy at the right price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

As Bazz said, the audi's wear mileage well. Recently acquired a 95 Audi 80 Avant tdi with 230k miles on it. Absolutely rust free. Interior needs a good valet, but everything is still tight and rattle free. Only major signs of wear is the drivers seat side bolster, and the leather on the gear knob.
    Suspension wise, needs wishbone bushes on both sides.
    Other that that, everything still works, and feels tight. The engine sounds like it could do the same mileage again. Im normally hard to impress, but this car impresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've had a couple of high mileage tdi A4s and the difference between a well minded one and an abused one can be pretty big. I've had one of each.

I'll agree with the lads that service history is key but more importantly just look at the evidence of your eyes that it looks well minded. Front control arms are practically a service part but they're not too expensive and pretty much nothing else goes wrong up front despite the nay-sayers. (ever have suspension problems in a Toyota/ Lex- yeesh, it could be anything).

Uk will be a good idea for these- but make sure you see the history before you go- a lot of cars seem to have only done 2/3k in the last 2 years.

Advertisement