Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Sat Nav Maps

Options
  • 01-10-2007 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently (about one month ago) purchased a Garmin nuvi 250. I got this model as the motor stores said it had the best maps for Ireland. I find that the maps are quite old - most roads opened in last 2 years arent on it - it seems to be missing roads for every journey outside Dublin Ive taken. Even the Dundrum shopping centre isnt on it and thats over 2 years open.
    Ive gone onto the Garmin website and it says there are no update maps available for this sat nav. Does anyone know any other way or updating the map or if I just have to wait for Garmin to release a new map ? Is there oher ways of doing this ? What sort of experience have you had with sat navs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

I went window shopping for one of these and I was told that you should be able to update the maps, not sure if it is true as it was window shopping and never actually bought it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The nuvi 250 has the latest navteq maps of Ireland, it should be grand. They're due to release new maps pretty soon though, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Typically newer maps are made available pre-christmas for NT, and post-christmas for non-NT. The 250 uses NT mapping. You would expect to pay around 78 euro for the upgrade.

Of course that was all before Nokia bought NavTeq. Who knows how this will affect future mapping updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I contacted someone in Garmin & they told me that there's a major update due in November 2007.....fingers crossed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Garmin told me January.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I received yet another replacement Nuvi 660 from Garmin yesterday,the map info says City Navigator 2008.

Is this an update on V9 ?

This is the 2nd replacement I got from Garmin, in the first one I bought in May the speaker died.Garmin replaced it but the Bluetooth audio was completely distorted out of the box.This one seems to be OK,am I just unlucky ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I received yet another replacement Nuvi 660 from Garmin yesterday,the map info says City Navigator 2008.

Is this an update on V9 ?

This is the 2nd replacement I got from Garmin, in the first one I bought in May the speaker died.Garmin replaced it but the Bluetooth audio was completely distorted out of the box.This one seems to be OK,am I just unlucky ?

According to this post your unit has the very latest maps! Only due out in November '07/January '08.

Have your maps got the new N52 Mullingar by-pass or the new N6 dualler from Kinnegad to Killbeggan? These I know are not on V9....

invest4deepvalue.com

Here's a couple of screenshots,any help to you ? Wouldn't be familiar with the area myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

I have a Garmin Nuvi 300 with City Navigator NT v8 maps - how do I upgrade to v9? - Garmin site says nothing's available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Blanch Guy dont bother wait a few months and go straight to City Navigator 2008 when they come out.

cazzy
    I would guess you will get the updates free infact have you registered it on https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces ? if not DONT until AFTER the new maps come out.

I bought my 370 in May and have upgraded the USA maps in myGarmin and they are sending me the City Navigator North America 2008 NT for free. I hope the same happens for the Europe maps on it. If not 75$ to upgrade ... peanuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Here's a couple of screenshots,any help to you ? Wouldn't be familiar with the area myself.

Yeh you denfinetely have the very latest mapping as these roads don't appear on v9.0

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Blanch Guy dont bother wait a few months and go straight to City Navigator 2008 when they come out.

cazzy
    I would guess you will get the updates free infact have you registered it on https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces ? if not DONT until AFTER the new maps come out.

I bought my 370 in May and have upgraded the USA maps in myGarmin and they are sending me the City Navigator North America 2008 NT for free. I hope the same happens for the Europe maps on it. If not 75$ to upgrade ... peanuts.

Yes I registered and got a message saying no new maps available. Every trip I take with it it seems to be missing roads. My version doesnt have the motorway from kinnegad to athone, it doesnt have any retail park/shopping centre/address that have been registered in the last 2-3 years. Its rare that it finds an address that I type into it - it doesnt even recognise where I live in Dublin. (My address is over 2 years old).

I seem to have the next 2008 update of the maps but I know of a large housing estate in Oranmore - that has been there for several years and its still not on the maps....so I don't know how much Navteq bother to update,maybe we should use the map reporter more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

cazzy wrote: »
    Yes I registered and got a message saying no new maps available. Every trip I take with it it seems to be missing roads. My version doesnt have the motorway from kinnegad to athone, it doesnt have any retail park/shopping centre/address that have been registered in the last 2-3 years. Its rare that it finds an address that I type into it - it doesnt even recognise where I live in Dublin. (My address is over 2 years old).

There is no motorway from Athlone to Kinnegad yet, it's only open from Kilbeggan to Kinnegad.

Advertisement