Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burma.. Lads, its getting very serious right now.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Sand, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. You may have the experience to know that action in the streets can't change things overnight, but you have to believe that being vocal and active can introduce some kind of positive energy into a negative situation and improve it.

If not, what's the point of politics at all?

The latest from Burma seems to be that the Generals allowed the protests to go on long enough so that they could get video footage of as many of the protesters as possible, around the globe, and are now working their way through a list of names. If anyone suspects they might be on that list, they should probably get out of the reach of the Generals.
    The sudden concern for Burma and the calls for measures to be take to destabilise their government to aid the democratic movement there is amusing compared to the predictable denouncement of any meddling in Cuba for example.

I'd like to know why you think so. And we're not talking about Cuba. Can you start a thread on what the problems are over there. I have a suspicion that a trade embargo is never a good climate to produce a good standard of living, but I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on the subject. Just not on this thread!

Democracy should be encouraged. At it's basic, surely it means listening to the people and how are our government supposed to know what we're feeling if we don't tell them? One example of that would be when the Turkish government stood with their people and refused the Americans something or other in 2003. And in stark contrast, the Bush adminstration (with all their stars and stripes) rounded on the Turks for listening to their public!!

Don't be sarcastic, it mixes your message. If you have some bright ideas, share them with us.

Advertisement