Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

dual carriageways

Options
  • 01-10-2007 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

when is ireland going to get its first motorway 3 lanes:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

apart from the sections of the M50 that already are and the ones that are quite visibl for the past year or so under construction? (I'm sure theres more about)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 3 lane N7 is to be upgraded to 120kmph, but not to a motorway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is this thread about dual carriageways or motorways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's doesn't matter people will still use only two lanes, middle and outside.

http://****edrivers.com/index.php/2007/09/11/lane-discipline/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bins wrote:
    Most of the motorways I use have 4 lanes! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kbannon wrote:
    Is this thread about dual carriageways or motorways?

Its about dual 3 lane motorways.

maybe the OP is wondering when dual carriageways will be upgraded to 3 lane motorways. I dunno, strange title!

There is a plan to upgrade most dual carriageways to HQDCs. It will take several years though.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Its about dual 3 lane motorways.
    Not according to the thread title!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

colm_mcm wrote:
    the 3 lane N7 is to be upgraded to 120kmph, but not to a motorway.

Really, which section? never noticed.

Naas upwards, not sure how far towards Dublin they're going with it. At the moment the only 120 kmph road I know of that isn't a motorway is the N2 to Ashbourne

• Advertisement

kikel wrote:
    Really, which section? never noticed.
    "is to be" not "has been"

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

The Limerick Bypass should be upgraded to 120KPH aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

My question to the OP is, why do you ask anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bins wrote:

Worst question ever dude you need to clarify what you're talking about - motorways or dual carriageways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

High Quality Dual Carriageways are Motorways without the restrictions of a Motorway,so there is no reason in the world why they shouldn't have a speed limit of 120 km/h.

The N1 border-Dundalk has a speed limit of 120 as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kbannon wrote:
    "is to be" not "has been"

English was never my strong point.. No harm in upgrading that section of road it's well capable of higher speeds.

no problem but I agree about the N7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

E92 wrote:
    High Quality Dual Carriageways are Motorways without the restrictions of a Motorway,so there is no reason in the world why they shouldn't have a speed limit of 120 km/h.

The N1 border-Dundalk has a speed limit of 120 as well.

Having taken and passed my test in the UK the generic driving qualities of those educated on the roads of Ireland would ( to me ) be ample reason for not having 120Kph speed limits on dual carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

colm_mcm wrote:
    the 3 lane N7 is to be upgraded to 120kmph

can't wait for this to happen, it's a waste having 3 nice shiny new lanes only to be forced to drive <100.

and the traffic cops are always on that strech between kingswood/adamstown and naas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

colm_mcm wrote:
    Naas upwards, not sure how far towards Dublin they're going with it.

Approaching the Baldonnel/Citywest turn-offs (inbound) can be deadly sometimes, with muppets leaving it until the last second to get into the correct lane. Think 120kph would be too high around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Approaching the Baldonnel/Citywest turn-offs (inbound) can be deadly sometimes, with muppets leaving it until the last second to get into the correct lane. Think 120kph would be too high around there.

So should we drop the speed limit nearing off-ramps to 50km/hr for the muppets who won't get in lane in time? Perhaps the Gardaí should enforce the no-crossing-lanes rule instead (i.e. driving straight from lane 2 or 3 to the off-ramp, often across the hatched markings)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Slow coach wrote:
    So should we drop the speed limit nearing off-ramps to 50km/hr for the muppets who won't get in lane in time? Perhaps the Gardaí should enforce the no-crossing-lanes rule instead (i.e. driving straight from lane 2 or 3 to the off-ramp, often across the hatched markings)?

I was just pointing out how hairy that area can be at 100kph. Agree though that proper enforcement of the driving laws would help, but as usual, probably will not happen until there is a serious accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My point was that dropping the limit to accomodate this behaviour would be wrong. There are many other junction where this behaviour is rampant. I'm sure every poster could give examples. Here's one:

N4 westbound, just after the Spa Hotel, Lucan. At the Leixlip exit (before the M4 begins). Speed limit 80, but most traffic is going slower because of the volume and the presence of the exit. Whitevanman in outside lane, heading for the M4, doing 80+. He dives between two slow-moving trucks at the last possible moment, crossing the hatched area at an angle of 60 degrees (my estimate) and assumes a position on the left lane of the slipway!

Reducing the limit would make this behaviour easier. If the limit was higher it would be more difficult, but sooner or later some fúcker is going to cause a pile-up at one of these exits by cutting across the wrong person (i.e. someone who gets nervous when the car in front is closer than 500m).

Advertisement