Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher diploma in multimedia?

• 01-10-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a higher diploma in multimedia to focus my skills learned from a BA. So far I haven't had much success in my research in finding a course which does this. Is there a course as such in existence in the Cork area ie: UCC, CIT or other general places? Would much appreciate any advice on this, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You might be better off calling UCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

smashey wrote:
    You might be better off calling UCC.
    That is actually a good course of action, thanks. But am I led to believe by the lack of response that no-one here has a link to an actual course that is a higher diploma as a lead on to the BA (in Cork)? I would like to teach for the VEC from my 'vast' knowledge and qualifications and have been led to believe that a higher diploma is a requirement, is this the case? Or could I put myself out there in a benificial way as a potential teacher with what I have in the proposed certified way at least ie: as it stands.

I would like to give something back but I would like to do this whilst making some kind of a living as well. To me that would give me job satisfaction which is an ideal situation for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I could move this thread to the UCC forum. There might be a few posters there with knowledge of the course. What do you think?

smashey wrote:
    I could move this thread to the UCC forum. There might be a few posters there with knowledge of the course. What do you think?
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for your interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres lots of Masters in Multimedia. Might be more useful.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote:
    Theres lots of Masters in Multimedia. Might be more useful.
    Thanks, can you reccommend a good course as such?

Afraid not. People I know did masters in Derry, London and DCU. Never heard much of their relative qualities. I'd be dubious of the value of most of them, especially for industry. Experience and portfolio being more important. As a paper certification for 3rd level teaching. I'd say do some research on the tutors at the colleges you'll like to work in. See where they went. People hire what they know, and like minded people.

BostonB wrote: »
    Afraid not. People I know did masters in Derry, London and DCU. Never heard much of their relative qualities. I'd be dubious of the value of most of them, especially for industry. Experience and portfolio being more important. As a paper certification for 3rd level teaching. I'd say do some research on the tutors at the colleges you'll like to work in. See where they went. People hire what they know, and like minded people.
    Thanks for reply, I have come across a 'Masters in multimedia' in UCC, It seems to be the best of a bad lot (as in their is not much out there). Any info on this course from people who have knowledge of it, or who have indeed done it would be appreciated. Is it worth doing and how much credibility does it hold as a qualification in this area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Unless you've a huge interest in the subject, then I wouldn't bother. Even one of the multimedia lecturers in UCC admitted to us that they had saturated the market.

Unless you've a huge interest in the subject, then I wouldn't bother. Even one of the multimedia lecturers in UCC admitted to us that they had saturated the market.
    Surely multimedia is a growing market, therefore it cannot really be saturated as new talents and knowledge is always a plus. After all the internet is only 10yrs old at most. That lecturers attitude was very cynical and unmoving as a point of view in a fast moving field. I guess I do have a huge interest in the subject, I gather from what you are saying is that the masters in mulitmedia in UCC is moving to slowly and as a result is behind the times?

• Advertisement

10yrs ago I would have agreed. But the multimedia boom has come and gone along time ago. Its a niche market and this is a small country. So theres only so much work to go around. As a rough example look at the jobs here...

http://www.creativeireland.com/jobdesk/pages/jobs_offered/

10yrs ago I would have agreed. But the multimedia boom has come and gone along time ago. Its a niche market and this is a small country. So theres only so much work to go around. As a rough example look at the jobs here...

http://www.creativeireland.com/jobdesk/pages/jobs_offered/
    Hmmm that looks pretty sparse alright. I live in hope though, I feel that a new boost is coming in the multimedia area since the Web 2.0 social networking. I predict that the educational applications are about to take off and I am looking at e learning at the moment as a possible lucrative area. Heres hoping.

elearning is well established. Been through its boom and bust too. Lots of big companies gone to the wall and now one or two companies are buying up all the rest. The big players here are Skillsoft and Riverdeep. I don't think its that interesting an area now, as its pretty established. Its all standardised now. So they just churn out material and alot of the work is outsourced as its cheaper to do it elsewhere.

Just a thought but these days it might be more interesting to teach multimedia than work at it. Perhaps theres some cutting edge design studio's doing some creative stuff I dunno. Have a look at http://www.coroflot.com/ and see what some of the students are doing and where the jobs, and what kind of jobs worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LADYB

Try www.postgradireland.com
    This should give you list of all postgrad courses in Ireland including Multi Media
    Hope it helps!

elearning is well established. Been through its boom and bust too. Lots of big companies gone to the wall and now one or two companies are buying up all the rest. The big players here are Skillsoft and Riverdeep. I don't think its that interesting an area now, as its pretty established. Its all standardised now. So they just churn out material and alot of the work is outsourced as its cheaper to do it elsewhere.

Just a thought but these days it might be more interesting to teach multimedia than work at it. Perhaps theres some cutting edge design studio's doing some creative stuff I dunno. Have a look at http://www.coroflot.com/ and see what some of the students are doing and where the jobs, and what kind of jobs worldwide.
    I'd like to teach Multimedia I do have an aptitude in this area I feel. But is a BA in Multimedia enough to get me into this area of teaching in your experience or opinion?

I have looked at Riverdeep and pretty much see your point there, they are primarily a business over being innovative. I would consider myself to be more of a creative and I feel I have identified or at least I am in the process of creating some new innovitave models which will work from the research I have done. Ideally at the end of the day I would like to get into teaching for two reasons: to give something back and to make a living which will support my ongoing research and ideas.

I guess I know my strategy but finding what is out there to achieve the initial parts is what I am pretty unknowing about at the moment.

LADYB wrote: »
    Try www.postgradireland.com
    This should give you list of all postgrad courses in Ireland including Multi Media
    Hope it helps!
    Thanks for that, I have the postgrad book in hard copy. I will check the site to see if it has been updated. The book doesn't really have what I want.

....I feel I have identified or at least I am in the process of creating some new innovitave models which will work from the research I have done. ...

If you are talking about Instructional design. Theres been a huge amount of research done in this area already. If you ask me a lot of it solution looking for problems. Or at least self validating solutions to justify the research.

There isn't a business case for most of this research IMO, as no one has time in business to spend on models like this. In most case the work is focused on meeting standard like Scorm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORM) and adding value (glitz and buzz technologies) that will sell rather than educate. A lot of elearning/instructional design is sold to replace as a cheaper alternative to traditional instructor led learning, and traditional books. IMO its to statisfy a requirement of providing training, but usually there are little or no metrics on how well it actually trains. In my experience its pretty poor. Its good for automated testing in finite situations. But thats about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-learning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructional_design
    http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~mryder/itc/idmodels.html
    http://www.usask.ca/education/coursework/802papers/mergel/brenda.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is there many jobs IN Multimedia , Please Go to DCU Fourm And Help Me

Advertisement