Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jap books for learners.?

Options
  • 01-10-2007 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Lads and Lassies,

any books i could get to learn jap? i have already done katakana and hiragana but need to work on sentences and grammar and pretty much everything else.

i have used nihongo kantan and hiragana kantan. any other books?

is there a language book shop in dublin a girl in easons mentioned??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Minna No Nihongo series is highly regarded, I think.

There is a language book shop in Dublin, on Pearse St. I think, but they dont have a great selection. Try Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, or go online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

If you're thinking of the one on Westland Row (intersects Pearse St), it's pretty useless. I'd use Amazon if you can.

I liked the Japanese for Busy People series - you can get 'Kana editions' of them, which make it easier to stay away from the dreaded roumaji!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

legs11 wrote:
    any books i could get to learn jap?
    A good start would be to use the word 'Japanese' - it's only 2 extra syllables. ;) I think the contraction is a tad disrespectful.
    For the record, I'm Irish but lived and worked in Japan during the 90s for close to 10 years. Nice place and nice people once you get used to it/them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I liked the Japanese for Busy People series - you can get 'Kana editions' of them, which make it easier to stay away from the dreaded roumaji!

Yeah, stick with the kana-only version and eventually you'll get the hang of it. Better in the long run since ローマ字 just ends up holding you back once you're about 6 months to a year into your studies.

To learn 漢字, I recommend Remembering the Kanji by James W. Heisig. He has a technique of associating a kanji's meaning to ridiculous, exaggerated stories. However, the point of the stories is that they create an association in the mind, which once formed, is not easily lost. It's not for everyone, but it's really helped me get the hang of kanji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

すみません! にほんごをべん供しません!

Well, I Ordered 65e worth of nihongo on amazon, need to get cracking over the next 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Minna no Nihongo ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

legs11 wrote: »
    is there a language book shop in dublin a girl in easons mentioned??
    Not really sure what you're asking here but it may interest you to know of a bookshop off Nassau St called the International Book Store afaicr.

Advertisement