Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDF Fitness

• 02-10-2007 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

well i think ALL RDF personnel should have to pass a fitness test every year.i plan on joining and am really into keeping fit.i train regurlarly(weights,running,cycling,hiking).but does anyone else agree with me??i think it would force out the wasters if you made it a pass/fail test.pass,good work.fail,you have more chance in a few weeks time,if you fail that then get lost....
    also,i think PDF would have more respect for RDF too...

eroo:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

eroo wrote:
    well i think ALL RDF personnel should have to pass a fitness test every year.i plan on joining and am really into keeping fit.i train regurlarly(weights,running,cycling,hiking).but does anyone else agree with me??i think it would force out the wasters if you made it a pass/fail test.pass,good work.fail,you have more chance in a few weeks time,if you fail that then get lost....

Oh, the foolhardiness of youth :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'd love it if fitness standards were imposed upon the Reserve....... But it won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

As an idea it's good ... but then again how would it be implemented? Annual testing or continuous assessment (maybe every 6-8 weeks?)

Do you mean copy the PDF standards straight out, or have a different standard for the reservists?

The reason I ask this is that it's a voluntary organization - some members still see it as nothing more than a hobby (unfortunately) and will prioritise (sp?) their jobs and other commitments over their fitness.

It's hard enough making the numbers (at least with my unit) without having a fitness test to scare more away. There should already be an incentive there to stay healthy anyway - for camps, adventure training etc. And I know a lot of the lads are into their hill walking, orienteering and weights.

Maybe when it came to the NCO stages, the potentials should be up to a certain standard - but the RDF has enough problems without trying to bring in overall fitness standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

going for a course will require the fitness tests to be passed, there are moves afoot to address fitness unit wide with much more access to pti's etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Yup, all courses will require the IT's to be passed, and if your integrated you won't be able to hack the pace if you fitness isn't up to stratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

well i just dont see the point in being involved in military without being fit,thats all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

eroo wrote:
    well i just dont see the point in being involved in military without being fit,thats all...

Same. Given the nature of the military work, it would be pretty stupid. Like not superman strong but at least take care of yourself right?

exactly.ive heard stories of fellas barely being able to dp exercises you'd find in P.E. class....it would make them more professional IMO

all the same now as the moves in the right direction are been made

Nuttzz wrote:
    all the same now as the moves in the right direction are been made
    moves!?could you expand mate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

It'll happen in the not to distant future but it'll be a few years yet. They started it with the courses and it will eventually filter down into the units.

I think that the same standard required of the PDF should apply to the RDF. It isn't all that hard. I should mention that I am not particularly fit but I could probably just scrape buy IT2000/2 or whatever it is called now. It can't and shouldn't be brought in over night but it should be. An unfit person is a liability on the ground. They are more prone to injury.

agreed!

eroo wrote:
    moves!?could you expand mate?

a fitness plan for the rdf from unit level up is going to be introduced as well as recognising civie PE qualifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I completly agree with you eroo. I've been in the RDF for almost a year. I think there really should be a fitness test (same as the PDF). I could pass the PDF fitness test no problem as I like to keep at my phyiscal peak. My unit has unfit, overweight recruits which in my opinion just makes the overall reserves look bad.

However, just because there is no fitness test doesnt mean being in shape wont benifit you. You will reak the benifits on your recruit camp etc

What barracks/unit are you thinking about joining? Im in McKee

I'm in Sarsefield mate,still a lowly little GI recruit:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

eroo wrote: »

They have to do something... like id love to see what would happen if the RDF actually had to engage someone/something if the world turned upside down.. how many of them would be physically and mentally able to do it??... probally lucky if its 20%...The entry requirments should be the same as the PDF

Im still a recruit too! lol

I know two lads from Sarsefield, ones in CIS the other air defence.

AD?ha! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Im still a recruit too! lol

I know two lads from Sarsefield, ones in CIS the other air defence.

Can i ask Which Air Defence there's 4 different Units. If he's Second Air Defence i might know him.

Anyway i wouldn't mind the fitness test just as long as the NCO's don't work you too hard. I'm not exactly a fit guy but i don't mind a bit of exercise, I know i'd try to do the best i can. But it depends on the exercise, if your talking about lifting weights then it might be a problem because not all of us have the money to join a gym, but running, jogging and other sorts of physical fitness would be alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

My unit has unfit, overweight recruits which in my opinion just makes the overall reserves look bad.

Damn right, i cringe when i see fatties in DPM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

While I don't think the entry exam should be the same as the PDF, I do think some sort of entry requirement exam should be introduced.

I saw a certain unit yesterday and it made me cringe to see how many overweight people were there.

I was under the impression that a fitness test was part of the RDF and was raring to go, spent all the time when my paperwork was being processed working out to try and get up to speed. It was a disappointment when there was no RDF test as I was proud of myself for reaching the standard (I had thought the RDF had the same fitness test as the PDF)

It just doesn't look too good seeing all these chubbys in the RDF (although I'm only a recruit)

At my medical exam, there were about 5 people who looked capable of passing a fitness test (myself and my two buddies and two other guys there)

There were girls there too but I'd be completely unable to make any sort of judgement on their fitness level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

While I don't think the entry exam should be the same as the PDF, I do think some sort of entry requirement exam should be introduced.

I saw a certain unit yesterday and it made me cringe to see how many overweight people were there.

I was under the impression that a fitness test was part of the RDF and was raring to go, spent all the time when my paperwork was being processed working out to try and get up to speed. It was a
    disappointment when there was no RDF test as I was proud of myself for reaching the standard (I had thought the RDF had the same fitness test as the PDF)
    It just doesn't look too good seeing all these chubbys in the RDF (although I'm only a recruit)

At my medical exam, there were about 5 people who looked capable of passing a fitness test (myself and my two buddies and two other guys there)

There were girls there too but I'd be completely unable to make any sort of judgement on their fitness level.

You should be very proud and not hard done by the fact that the RDF don't do the fitness test. You still got up to the standard of PDF anyway and that's the best thing right. I mean if you had've known that the RDF didn't have a fitness test then you wouldn't have done that right?
    Anyway the NCO's will still love you for the fact that you are fit and you will need that fitness if you want to become an NCO like a Cpl or Sgt. I think you have to do a 10K as one of the tests to become a Cpl. Also some of the stuff you do in the RDF will need some fitness such as Tactics which are a whole different thing to any sport i've played. Just be happy that you won't be the guy collapsing onto the ground after you've preformed your Winning the Firefight which is the last of the section battle drills;)

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Can i ask Which Air Defence there's 4 different Units. If he's Second Air Defence i might know him.

Yea, second AD, his name is Jay. Do you know him? I Dont know him that well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I think imposing a fitness test now would reduce the numbers of members joining. Some units can't get ppl as it is.
    It's something that needs to happen long term but needs to be approached in the right way. The way many in the PDF & RDF see it is that since they have limited time (particularly with recruits) they don't want to spend that time just running laps.

Personally I would like to see members encouraged to work on their fitness. I would like to see more activities in the RDF which require a decent level of fitness without actually imposing a particular standard on anyone. More tactical training, hikes/forced marches; more sports on camp particularly ones such as hill walking, long range orientering etc.; I believe it would be better to approach in that way as you'll get people interested in their fitness rather than just setting a low fitness standard they have to pass.

That's my 2c anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Methinks if the RDF helped people get in shape things might be better.

Most people want to be in shape and if the RDF gave a helping hand with courses and information things could be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mr.miagi

there are already fitness tests on some promotion courses and soon will be on suppourt weapon courses

Advertisement