Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Llewellin Setters

• 02-10-2007 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

i was offered a pup the other night, i was thinking of getting him and training him for next year. i havent had any experience with them. does anyone know what they are like as an all rounder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Ive never used one myself but ive heard they are very nervous dogs
    dont know how much truth is in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Setters are fairly high strung but not any more so than a springer...:D.
    They would not be my first choice as a wildfowl dog. If the pup has good field bloodlines I would take a chance as they can be excellent rough shooting dogs. Ask if you can see one or both parents in the field.
    The modern English setter is linked to two Englishmen, Edward Laverack and R. L. Purcell Llewellin.
    Llewellin experimented with crossing Gordon, native Irish Setters and some old style English setters (sitting spaniels) to get dogs that could win trials, but he had mixed results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I know two lads in our club that has them and he thinks their the bees knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

stevoman wrote:
    i was offered a pup the other night, i was thinking of getting him and training him for next year. i havent had any experience with them. does anyone know what they are like as an all rounder?
    I had a Llewellin bitch for three seasons she had an unbelievable nose she used to set on a pheasant from 20yards she would also set woodcock snipe and even mallard in drains she was an excellent dog to put up the birds but was not so keen to bring the shot or sometimes winged birds back to me:rolleyes: She was odd in her ways in that she would hunt through water around the edge of ponds and stuff but would not retrieve from it!You should definitly see a parent or if possible both working as it could be handy enough to buy one that might not work,get your hands on a live pheasant and put it in a cage and hide it in a thick ditch then get the parent to work the ditch it should set rock steady on the bird when it hits the scent-NEVER just take the sellers word that there working dogs get them out and see 1st hand what there like;)

Advertisement