Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband setting up wireless

Options
  • 02-10-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Just wondering if there is anyone out there that could help me. I have signed up to NTL broadband with wireless option. When I look to see my security settings it says that my wireless connection is unsecured. Does this mean that people in the apartment next door can connect to the net with my internet??

I rang NTL customer support to question this and the girl on the phone told me that she wasn't sure as she has Eircom Broadband at home and could tell me how to secure the connection with Eircom connection. I was slightly taken aback at this as I was calling NTL not Eircom :confused: I asked her once again could she give me an answer as to how to secure my connection and she couldn't answer. She took my number & said she'd call me back that was over a week ago now!!!

Would really appreciate any info anyone could give me ta :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it says unsecured then yes that means anyone with a wifi capable computer can connect to your wireless router/modem if they can pick up the signal.

The fact that NTL supplied you with the wireless option means imho they should provide you support with securing it either using WPA or WEP, frankly I'm also abit worried by the response you appeared to have gotten.

I don't use the NTL wireless option myself so I'm not aware of the steps required to secure your connection but I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

loumoo wrote:
    Hi Just wondering if there is anyone out there that could help me. I have signed up to NTL broadband with wireless option. When I look to see my security settings it says that my wireless connection is unsecured. Does this mean that people in the apartment next door can connect to the net with my internet??

I rang NTL customer support to question this and the girl on the phone told me that she wasn't sure as she has Eircom Broadband at home and could tell me how to secure the connection with Eircom connection. I was slightly taken aback at this as I was calling NTL not Eircom :confused: I asked her once again could she give me an answer as to how to secure my connection and she couldn't answer. She took my number & said she'd call me back that was over a week ago now!!!

Would really appreciate any info anyone could give me ta :)

Yes you internet is unsecured, so anyone can connect to it, not sure what the model is but should be as below.

Before doing the below check what type of encryption you Wireless adapter supports, if it's new it will be WPA, if a bit old, 4 years or older might only be WPE.

Connect to the router probably with ip 192.168.1.1 in your browser, it should ask you for an ID and password, I think the default is User: Admin --password: (empty,nothing) once in on the left you should see "Wireless Settings", setup security to WPA and enter a Passphrase, click in Save and after go to your PC and refresh the Wireless list, click connect , now use the Passphrase you just selected. Once connected go back to the router "Wireless Settings" further down and uncheck the option "Broadcast SSID" (so you don't broadcast it), also setup a password for the router, probably under router options.

If that's not correct give us your router model and we might help, also you can check the router manual.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I got NTL broadband last week and the engineer who came out set up an encrytion key for me. Did they give you a netgear router?

Advertisement