Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to comission a site

Options
  • 02-10-2007 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

basically i want to comission a wed developer/designer to build me a site like http://www.4men.ie except with a a few minor differences in layout. basically, a small online shop where you can browse by item type or by brand.

i dont know much about building sites but i think this one would work using a database right? each item has its own page in a database and when you click on the item you want you then acces its page in the data base? or have i got the wrong idea? like when you click on an album on play.com your taken to a page that gives all the info on the album like tracklist and genre and so on.

all i want to know is how much a site like this would cost if i comissioned a wed developed to design and build it for me? i mean its not that big of a site, its a small store, nothing like play.com or anything, just a maximum of say 400 products and a shopping basket/checkout/pay with credit card facility.

And also how do i go about finding a web developer to build me a site?

any help would be much appreciated as i pretty much know nothing about this.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can build it for free. I would suggest building the site and get a web designer to alter the look of the default installation of oscommerce (and many other free solutions) and change the 'skin' of it to your design needs. And ask them about security issues also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You could hire someone for cheap via http://www.scriptlance.com

I strongly advise you write down exactly what you want, and when developers/designers bid on your project, ask them how they would do it (e.g. what programming language/what database/etc.) and ask to see samples of previous work. When you feel you've found someone who understands you and you like his work and the way he communicates, you can agree a fee.

For an online store with a front end and an administration area, and the ability to accept CC, I would expect a quality job to be done for under $400. You could then get a designer (also via scriptlance) to implement the look of a website you like, for under $300. So in total about €500.

Advertisement