Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Work Phone

• 02-10-2007 10:13am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have been promished a new work phone to replace my wee nokia which will be going to the phone museum. As i am now taking the bus to work i will have time to shift through emails etc on the way. I must add that i am not tech advanced. So this is the list that work have offered me

Nokia E50
    Nokia E61
    Blackberry 8100
    Blackberry 8300
    Blackberry 8800
    XDA Exec
    XDA Orbit
    IPAQ 6915

As im still in the dark ages i probably wont be able to make full advantage of all the features so it will be a learning curve. I suppose it will have to be easy to learn. A bit of music and camera would be a bonus ( do all phones comes with these features these days?)
    I would really appreciate if someone could advise
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

E61i or Blackberry 8800 IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I wouldn't go for the E50 as it's not the easiest for using email and its successor, the E51 will be out soon.

I'd go for the IPAQ or one of the XDAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I would definitely go with the E61i if you need to access your email on the go. The difference in battery life between the Nokia and all of the Windows Mobile phones is incredible. My boss has an Ipaq 6915 and he is constantly bit*ching about battery life.
    I've had experience with the XDA's and Treo 750v's - none of them compare with the E61i battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

if the size of the thing isn't an issue for you, go for the XDA Exec.

Here is a good review of it http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article499.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

ludermor wrote:
    I have been promished a new work phone to replace my wee nokia which will be going to the phone museum. As i am now taking the bus to work i will have time to shift through emails etc on the way. I must add that i am not tech advanced. So this is the list that work have offered me

Nokia E50
    Nokia E61
    Blackberry 8100
    Blackberry 8300
    Blackberry 8800
    XDA Exec
    XDA Orbit
    IPAQ 6915

As im still in the dark ages i probably wont be able to make full advantage of all the features so it will be a learning curve. I suppose it will have to be easy to learn. A bit of music and camera would be a bonus ( do all phones comes with these features these days?)
    Many thanks

It depends on what you want out of its just want a phone with a camera just go for the E50 but if you need email on the go take the Blackberry 8800 or just go in to you local Phone shop they will talk you through it even if you are not buying if off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

What Wizzard said - Windows mobile handhelds die if not charged for at least four hours/day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

yeah it would be mainly for emails, the camera would be a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

imvho...

Ease of use = E61
    Email = E61
    Battery = E61
    Reliability= E61

And i've used the xda's wm etc. Forget blackberries. A one trick email pony that the E61 can do and a whole lot more. And your last phone was a Nokia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

e61i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

ludermor wrote:

Nokia E50
    Nokia E61
    Blackberry 8100
    Blackberry 8300
    Blackberry 8800
    XDA Exec
    XDA Orbit
    IPAQ 6915

Many thanks

I worked for a mobile phone retailer for a while. I sold the xda exec and blackberries and have friends with ipaqs, and have played with the nokia e series for a bit. As other users have said the battery life on windows mobile devices are absolute pants. Nothing you can do about that so if your a bit of a corporate road warrior and need constant access to your emails and are away from the office for days a windows mobile device probably won't keep going long enough.

In terms of sheer simplicity I would be asking for a blackberry, single clicwheel one handed operation for getting emails on the fly. Can't beat it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

neilled wrote:
    I worked for a mobile phone retailer for a while. I sold the xda exec and blackberries and have friends with ipaqs, and have played with the nokia e series for a bit.

In terms of sheer simplicity I would be asking for a blackberry, single clicwheel one handed operation for getting emails on the fly. Can't beat it!

Agreed. And the 8800 seems to be a nice little handset. Cant go wrong with the nokia either.

From what you are saying you prob wouldn't get the full worth out of the XDAs. I have one and I just play block buster on it, I use my n95 for the serious stuff.

cheers for all the info but its not making the choice any easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

would hate to see you in a sweet shop! ;-)

Get the E61. Job done. You have b/berry on it if u choose the service (if your company is paying for it that is!) and you have a very decent smartphone with a good keyboard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ludermor wrote:
    cheers for all the info but its not making the choice any easier!

Thats because opinions are like arseholes. Everyones got one :)

If its simplicity, go for the nokia. If its email you are after, go for the bb 8800.

:)

Cheers for that, i suppose ill just have to choose which arsehole to go with

Advertisement