Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Roma begged for mercy" brags Ronaldo

• 02-10-2007 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

BBC wrote:
    Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo claims Roma begged him for mercy during their 7-1 Champions League last-eight, second-leg defeat at Old Trafford.

The Italians return to Manchester on Tuesday for the first time since April's 8-3 aggregate loss.

Ronaldo, who marked a sublime display with two goals, said: "When we were 6-0 up, one of their players said 'don't do any more dribbles', almost begging.

"I won't reveal his name as these are comments brought about by the game."

The tie was a tempestuous affair - the first leg was marred by crowd trouble at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome as United midfielder Paul Scholes was sent off in a 2-1 defeat.

Fans were also involved in a series of scuffles outside Old Trafford before the second leg in Manchester.

But United, inspired by Ronaldo's performance, cruised to what manager Sir Alex Ferguson called 'the best night of European football' at their home ground.

Portuguese international Ronaldo added: "Other players ask me to go to play on the opposite side and others don't show any humour when they make threats to my physical integrity.

"I know that they are merely trying to scare me.

"But these comments are worthless, for I keep playing in exactly the same way."

Ronaldo, who made the Roma revelations is his new book Moments, is in good form, having scored the winner in Saturday's Premier League match against Birmingham.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7023427.stm

Roma's manager won't need to do much talking in the dressing room to motivate his players now, will he?

What think ye. Do these revelations from the diving little prima donna help his team or hinder them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

god i dislike that lad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hinder I'd say. Seen it earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Its not helpfull to United at all.

Why any footballer currently playing feels the need to release a book is beyond me. Wait til you're done, then say whatever the hell you want. All these books, be they by Ronaldo, Lampard, Gerrard or Cole, should be burned.

agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

god i dislike that lad
    That is putting it mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:rolleyes:

Who actually wrote the book? Some tabloid journalist out to make a quick buck no doubt.

FFS, we all know the banter that goes on on a football pitch lads, I'm sure if you heard some of the stuff that the 'heros' like Stevie G and John Terry said about their opponents you'd all be up in arms.

Probably not though, seeing as the sun shines out these particular players' arses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

god i dislike that lad

There is a part of me ,just a part deep deep deep deep in the back of my mind would love to see ronaldo sign for liverpool just to read your posts after he signed.

Ronaldo is also committed to charity work. In June of 2005, Ronaldo flew out an eleven-year-old Tsunami survivor and his father to one of the World Cup qualifiers and covered all of their traveling expenses. Subsequently, he talked the rest of the team into pitching in and purchasing a home for the father and son in their native Indonesia.

After he was finished competing in the World Cup qualifiers, Ronaldo flew to Indonesia himself to see what he could do to help. He ended up meeting both the Vice President of the Indonesian Republic and the Vice President of East Timor and was able to raise 66,000 pounds by auctioning off some of his sports gear

See lads, he is actually a really nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote:
    Enough of that DesF, we only want scandal and sensational stories here. Do gooders make for bad press.

More pictures of Ronaldos orgy please.

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote:
    There is a part of me ,just a part deep deep deep deep in the back of my mind would love to see ronaldo sign for liverpool just to read your posts after he signed.

they'd read something like:

He is an excellent player, glad he plays for us, but CHRIST he is annoying/a diver/bottler/arrogant, depending on the moment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

DesF wrote:

He earns over £100k a week, why the hell is he auctioning off his gear for a "measly" 66k

and how much is a house in indonesia that him and the team have to 'chip in' to buy it?!

only joking, fair play to him.

Melion wrote:
    He earns over £100k a week, why the hell is he auctioning off his gear for a "measly" 66k
    What percentage of your weekly wage goes to charity?

Matthew Chapter 7 Verse 1
    Judge not, that ye be not judged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I agree with your centiments Des.

Anyway, it can't have done much other than motivate Roma really. Can't wait for the game :)

I agree with your centiments Des.
    Nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think its funny as f00k tbh.
    i love all the anti-utdness that comes out when ronnie says just about anything. its very easy to forget all of Totti's bravado before the games last season - "they will try and put me in a cage, but as i have proven i can get out of any cage" or something like that.
    Ronaldo does the same (pretty much) about a fixture which was one of the highlights of their season and ppl jump all over him. i think some ppl just hate the fact that hes so good because of his "pretty boy" image (despite the fact he's 6' 3" and very well built and comes from a working class background "schweeeeeeeah" :p ). ppl that hate ronaldo for just about no reason can get out of dunphies arse as far as im concerned

He is an excellent player, glad he plays for us, but CHRIST he is annoying/a diver/bottler/arrogant, depending on the moment!

you have just lied

In fairness i dont like Totti either, but this is a thread about Roanldos comments. there is loads to reasons to dislike Ronaldo in fairness-to put it down to anti-united sentiment solely . . . tbh is a bit much.

EDIT:lol, how did i lie? :)

as in, if he played for liverpool you wouldnt say that.

ronnie is a good bloke really, i dont see any harm in his quotes about the roma game. maybe if roma didnt get beaten 7-1 and got beaten 3-0 or something they would be a bit much, but the fact is ronnie & co. slaughtered them so roma dont really have much to stand on... might change tonite tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness i dont like Totti either, but this is a thread about Roanldos comments. there is loads to reasons to dislike Ronaldo in fairness-to put it down to anti-united sentiment solely . . . tbh is a bit much.
    Loads? Please enlighten us.

ok, but i dont wanna get into an argument about this, i understand he is an excellent player, and if we had a player,as good as him, who played in his position at Liverpool, I'd be delighted.

My reasons for disliking him:

But he is arrogant. The comments about Roma game sum that up. Or the ones after the middlesborough (when the bloke got sent off for fouling him and there was a scuffle on the touchline,he was asked why this controversy seems to follow him about-to which he replied, ''because i'm so good'')

He dives, constantly.

He is good and plays for Utd. True that is one of the reasons, but if he seemed like a decent bloke, i would still be able to admit i had no majpr beefs with him, for example, i have no problems with Vidic,Giggs,Evra.

He is over-hyped (not like the RTE lads say, but he is)

The whole Rooney incident at the world cup just seemed real sly to me tbh.(not that i was overly fussed, it was Rooney after all :))

Now i'm not doubting he might be a nice bloke if ya get to know him, or his talent as a player, or saying that there is not people who play for Liverpool who show some of the same characteristics, BUT all i'm doing is pointing out my reasons for disliking him.

He dives, constantly.
    He also gets fouled a ridiculous amount.

He is over-hyped (not like the RTE lads say, but he is)
    The RTE lads make out thats he's on the same level as Andy Reid, I dont listen to a word they say anymore, I watch my CL on ITV or Sky. Glad u pointed that out.
    The whole Rooney incident at the world cup just seemed real sly to me tbh.(not that i was overly fussed, it was Rooney after all :))
    R u serious? The only people who blamed Ronaldo were the morons from the English tabloids and the morons who fell for the "winker" headlines. England never lose remember, they always have to blame something. He winked at the Portuguese bench who may have been tellin him to calm down and he may have been winkin as a gesture to say ok. Nobody knows. Dunno what the big deal was here, Rooney stands on Carvalho's balls and Ronaldo goes over to have a word with the ref about a player who played on that night for the other team. If a guy trampled on a players balls and he's playin for the other team it doesnt matter if he's your best mate, competitiveness is there and u want to win no matter who is on the other team. And if one of your players gets semi castrated (exaggeration much!!) then you're not gonna be happy! Lets not forget it was a Euro QF and there was a lot at stake. People get so precious about things like this.

I saw Contepomi havin words with O'Driscoll in the Rugby on Sunday and by all accounts theyre great mates and team mates. Its called havin a competitive edge and if u dont have it then theres something wrong if your a professional sportsperson. I worry sometimes about how prissy soccer fans are gettin complainin about things like that

I saw Contepomi havin words with O'Driscoll in the Rugby on Sunday and by all accounts theyre great mates and team mates. Its called havin a competitive edge and if u dont have it then theres something wrong if your a professional sportsperson. I worry sometimes about how prissy soccer fans are gettin complainin about things like that
    I was just about to post that when I was reading your comments about Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

now it's hard to believe some stories from the field.... this takes it. neil lennon saying that gary neville said to him saha would miss the pen against celtic last season... believable. this, nah!

its just going to earn him a kicking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

DesF wrote:

Who actually wrote the book? Some tabloid journalist out to make a quick buck no doubt.

FFS, we all know the banter that goes on on a football pitch lads, I'm sure if you heard some of the stuff that the 'heros' like Stevie G and John Terry said about their opponents you'd all be up in arms.

Probably not though, seeing as the sun shines out these particular players' arses.

The issue is not what someone said on the field, but rather what somebody writes about fellow professionals.

If he gets his leg broke in a tackle tonight then I for one will view it as self-inflicted.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    now it's hard to believe some stories from the field.... this takes it. neil lennon saying that gary neville said to him saha would miss the pen against celtic last season... believable. this, nah!

its just going to earn him a kicking
    Not believable? Really?

I know why i play football if the winger is giving me a tough time I'll ask him to calm down and relax a little. I won't expect them to do it, but i'd say it, banter.

Dennis Wise made a bet with Cantona that he would miss a penalty in the cup final. Cantona asked double or quits on the next one.

I'm sure there are loads of examples like that, and what was said to ronaldo. I find it very believable that it was said. Again, not that they would expect Ronnie to stop, or that it was said with any seriousness, but i certainly wouldn't be surprised.

PDN wrote:
    If he gets his leg broke in a tackle tonight then I for one will view it as self-inflicted.

your an idiot if you think that. plain and simple

Jazzy wrote:
    your an idiot if you think that. plain and simple
    U beat me to it.

i wonder what people like him are even doing supporting football.

• Advertisement

In fairness, saying you were so good the players you are about to play against begged you to stop is not exactly the smartest thing to do. You know the Roma players are going to be fired up, and are going to be tougher in the tackle then they may have been previously.

If Ronaldo was to get injured tonight as a result of a bad tackle, while i would certainly not condone it, it would be easy to see why the Roma player in question was a little tougher then he needed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

DesF wrote:

Very good point.

Bleedin' hell.

If the players from Rome need some tabloidy quotes from an 'auto'biography to get them fired up for a Champions League game, against a team that beat them 7-1 last season, they shouldn't be playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Tauren wrote:
    In fairness, saying you were so good the players you are about to play against begged you to stop is not exactly the smartest thing to do. You know the Roma players are going to be fired up, and are going to be tougher in the tackle then they may have been previously.

If Ronaldo was to get injured tonight as a result of a bad tackle, while i would certainly not condone it, it would be easy to see why the Roma player in question was a little tougher then he needed to be.

Well it was probably true, if you've ever been on a football pitch for an embarrassing defeat you'd know that. So then he's just telling the truth, in which case what cause have the roma players to hack him tonight? I can't believe you wouldn't mind an exciting player being sidelined because of this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

PDN wrote:
    The issue is not what someone said on the field, but rather what somebody writes about fellow professionals.

Are you serious? Or stupid rather?

Saying they asked him to basically stop show boating and him letting this be known is deserving of a broken leg? Irrespective of whether or not what he said is true.
    That's the same as say, a girl who says a certain guy could never get her and taunts him deserves to be raped by him. Self-inflicted too? Before you start making stupid comments about a broken leg and rape not being equal - that's not my point. The logic behind it is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well it was probably true, if you've ever been on a football pitch for an embarrassing defeat you'd know that. So then he's just telling the truth,...

I'd be surprised if he could understand what was said to him by any Roma player except possibly Taddei or Mancini. And I don't know if they were playing.

It sounds like tabloid sh*te tbh.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    Bleedin' hell.

If the players from Rome need some tabloidy quotes from an 'auto'biography to get them fired up for a Champions League game, against a team that beat them 7-1 last season, they shouldn't be playing football.

nail on the head really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Are you serious? Or stupid rather?

Saying they asked him to basically stop show boating and him letting this be known is deserving of a broken leg? Irrespective of whether or not what he said is true.
    That's the same as say, a girl who says a certain guy could never get her and taunts him deserves to be raped by him. Self-inflicted too? Before you start making stupid comments about a broken leg and rape not being equal - that's not my point. The logic behind it is though.

I didn't say it was deserving of a broken leg, but maybe you're too stupid to see that.

Any forward who deliberately winds up Italian defenders before a game is asking for trouble. It would be like running down the Shankhill Road with an Irish flag - you don't deserve to be shot (nobody does) but your stupidity means that your injuries can be viewed as self-inflicted.

Well it was probably true, if you've ever been on a football pitch for an embarrassing defeat you'd know that. So then he's just telling the truth, in which case what cause have the roma players to hack him tonight? I can't believe you wouldn't mind an exciting player being sidelined because of this...
    how about you fully read my posts before trying to judge me next, eh? frickin stupid end to your reply.

PDN wrote:

Any forward who deliberately winds up Italian defenders before a game is asking for trouble.
    Yep, cause Ronaldo had the book written and released JUST for the Roma game.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PDN wrote:

Look judge, I know I know I raped her, but she was asking for it wearing that skirt.

• Advertisement

?!?!??!?! PHB!!!!!!! i'm shocked!

?!?!??!?! PHB!!!!!!! i'm shocked!
    you obviously didn't see the 'skirt'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't like to use the word hate often, it's a very strong emotion.

I hate C. Ronaldo, what a fúcking penis that child is.

The-Rigger wrote:
    I don't like to use the word hate often, it's a very strong emotion.

I hate C. Ronaldo, what a fúcking penis that child is.
    Bye Bye!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Bye Bye!

Hello.

The thread is about C. Ronaldo, I expressed my opinion of him.

What's the issue?

:confused::)

Jazzy wrote:
    ronnie is a good bloke really,
    Do you know him personally? You are saying that people are giving Ronaldo a hard things for things they perceive, but then you post this? If you are a personal acquaintance of his then I apologise, but unless you are, your posts ar no more valid than any of the ones that criticise him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

heh i think by the end of it it was Ronaldo who was begging for mercy. going off because of a small cut.... pfft.... did they never hear of band-aids???

The-Rigger wrote:
    Hello.

The thread is about C. Ronaldo, I expressed my opinion of him.

What's the issue?

:confused::)
    According to the charter you can't abuse footballers or such in this manner. The post has been reported (not by me or BaZmO though).

Take your ban like a man Paul if it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not very classy on Ronaldo's behalf.. United were fortunate enough tonight too.

5starpool wrote:
    According to the charter you can't abuse footballers or such in this manner. The post has been reported (not by me or BaZmO though).

Take your ban like a man Paul if it comes.

Fair enough.

I'd understand it if I wandered into the United Mega thread and started ranting about him, however this thread is separate and is about C. Ronaldo and some idiotic comments he has made.

If posters can't express a negative opinion of him in a thread topic discussing him (and his comments are reflective of him), then what kind of Nazis are we becoming?!

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement