Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Roma begged for mercy" brags Ronaldo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Getting banned for that is retarded.. In fact, its a joke. I shall support the rigger by also calling Ronaldo a wanker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Getting banned for that is retarded.. In fact, its a joke. I shall support the rigger by also calling Ronaldo a wanker :)

lol, Well I haven't been banned....yet, BazMo's post gave me the impression he expected me too be, time will tell. :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The-Rigger wrote:
    lol, Well I haven't been banned....yet, BazMo's post gave me the impression he expected me too be, time will tell. :p
    I didn't say I disagreed with you though, or agreed with the possible banning :)

warning support +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

what's with all the back seat modding these days?

PHB wrote:
    I think it's called 'posting on other forums'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:

Do I have to call you a wanker too to get banned :p :eek: :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    I'm not back seat modding, I just thought it was quite funny that people still insist on saying stuff to get themselves banned. Although, I kinda knew this thread would end up going this way.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

heh i think by the end of it it was Ronaldo who was begging for mercy. going off because of a small cut.... pfft.... did they never hear of band-aids???

Well that small cut required 4 stitches and the fact that there was only 3 mins plus injury time left, I guess the decision was taken that it was not worth trying to stitch him up and send him back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pah, he's a total git - great player, but still a child with no character.

Threesomes with who-ers, diving around the field, thinking he's great. That stupid fringe he had. I just hate him.

I struggle to think of another player who comes across as repuslive to me as a person.

Edited to include: forgot about the stories about him playing while crying when he was losing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

On a side note, does anyone think that Portugese people when they speak English sound much more arrogant than they mean to be. Mourinho and Ronaldo whenever they speak sound incredibly arrogant, even when they clearly aren't meant to. I think it's something to do with Portugese sentence structure

Possibly, but you're giving 2 very bad examples if it is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not sure about that PHB, clutching at straws a little! Think they are both just arrogant as hell! Even in print they'd both appear up their own arses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't forget the Portuguese Police Force, being described as aloof and arrogant by the media with the whole missing/dead child thing.

DesF wrote:
    Don't forget the Portuguese Police Force, being described as aloof and arrogant by the media with the whole missing/dead child thing.
    Huh? Did some child go missing in Portugal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

5starpool wrote:
    Do you know him personally? You are saying that people are giving Ronaldo a hard things for things they perceive, but then you post this? If you are a personal acquaintance of his then I apologise, but unless you are, your posts ar no more valid than any of the ones that criticise him.

no i dont know him, but i like to believe in the good of people before I call them f**knuts or ar$ecandles due to a few quotations from a book describing his proudest moment in european football. do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

PHB wrote:
    On a side note, does anyone think that Portugese people when they speak English sound much more arrogant than they mean to be. Mourinho and Ronaldo whenever they speak sound incredibly arrogant, even when they clearly aren't meant to. I think it's something to do with Portugese sentence structure

Brazilians speak Portuguese, but plenty of them seem able to come across as gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PDN wrote:
    Brazilians speak Portuguese, but plenty of them seem able to come across as gentlemen.
    it could be cultural as opposed to language based though.

Many foreign nationals can appear to be rude, or arrogant, when it is simply their way to be forthcoming with their views and say what they honestly feel.

When Ronaldo or Mourinho (the examples used) have been said to be arrogant, what they have said has been an honest answer the the question asked.

Mourinho and the "Special One". He stated that not many mangers have won the Champions League (only 1 other prem manager at the time) so claimed he was part of a special group - he was a special one. taken out of context over time and used as a stick to beat him with claiming arrogance.

Ronaldo being too good for 'Boro. Ronaldo has said previously that when he was younger, bigger kids would kick him and abuse him because he was better then them, despite being younger and smaller. It happens in football - the flair player gets singled out for 'special' treatment, or a player of lesser ability will take out his frustrations on them (one of the 'boro players got sent off for a bit of GBH on Ronnie at OT). So, when Ronaldo was asked why Boro foul him so much, then moan at him when they do (remember, this comment was made after Woodgate clearly hacked Ronaldo down in the box for a penalty - which resulted in the 'boro bench calling him a cheat), his experience would tell him that they are frustrated because they do not know how to deal with him - because he has, on occasion, proven too good for them. Arrogance? Maybe. But it is arguable.

The Roma begging... Ronaldo did not come out of nowhere and say Roma player begged him to stop making fools of them. The quotes are taken from a BOOK, which will have been written over time. Ronaldo would also not have written it, he would have been interviewed and the book would have been written based on his answers. Now, put yourself in the position of the interviewer - is it reasonable to ask Ronaldo whether players ever chat to him on the pitch, or threaten him on the pitch? I think so. So then, consider the possibility the interviewer asked him such a question. Ronaldo could either lie and say "no" (i would consider it a lie, it is well known players try to wind up the opposition) or he could tell the truth. on the one hand, you have players who threaten to injure him (the belgian national side) and on the other hand, the players who would ask him to stop running past them so often. For the second one, the Roma game, Ronaldo's best performance in europe, would be a good example. Unfortunately we drew them in the Cl this year too. Arrogance? Maybe... but again, it could easily be argued that he is simply telling the truth about experiences he has had. What would be the point in the book, or any interviews, if all he did was say "no", "no comment" or lie.

Tauren: Woodgate clearly hack him down!?!? slight over-exageration, he barely clipped his heel, it was probably a peno, but lets not get carried away.

I cant believe the direction this thread has taken: Ronaldo and Mourinho are not arrogant? its just some sort of cultural misunderstanding?! Don't make me laugh.

(and Jose did not say i am a special one, he said i am THE special one)

Tauren wrote:
    The Roma begging... Ronaldo did not come out of nowhere and say Roma player begged him to stop making fools of them. The quotes are taken from a BOOK, which will have been written over time. Ronaldo would also not have written it, he would have been interviewed and the book would have been written based on his answers. Now, put yourself in the position of the interviewer - is it reasonable to ask Ronaldo whether players ever chat to him on the pitch, or threaten him on the pitch? I think so. So then, consider the possibility the interviewer asked him such a question. Ronaldo could either lie and say "no" (i would consider it a lie, it is well known players try to wind up the opposition) or he could tell the truth. on the one hand, you have players who threaten to injure him (the belgian national side) and on the other hand, the players who would ask him to stop running past them so often. For the second one, the Roma game, Ronaldo's best performance in europe, would be a good example. Unfortunately we drew them in the Cl this year too. Arrogance? Maybe... but again, it could easily be argued that he is simply telling the truth about experiences he has had. What would be the point in the book, or any interviews, if all he did was say "no", "no comment" or lie.

We had this nonsense with Roy Keane & Dunphy as well. If your name is on the book then you are responsible for what is printed under your name. You can blame the ghostwriter, the editor, the publisher, the kid at Eason's who sells the book to the punter as much as you want. Your name is on the book, you're making money from the book, you are responsible for everything that is in the book.

Tauren: Woodgate clearly hack him down!?!? slight over-exageration, he barely clipped his heel, it was probably a peno, but lets not get carried away.

I cant believe the direction this thread has taken: Ronaldo and Mourinho are not arrogant? its just some sort of cultural misunderstanding?! Don't make me laugh.

(and Jose did not say i am a special one, he said i am THE special one)
    Foul = Hack. Woodgate clearly fouled him = Woodgate clearly hacked him.

I'm not saying they are not arrogant at all - but i am saying a lot of their perceived arrogance could be down to cultural mis-understanding.

And mourinho said he was A special one.

"Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one" and another reported quote: "I am the European champion. I think I am special."

• Advertisement

PDN wrote:
    We had this nonsense with Roy Keane & Dunphy as well. If your name is on the book then you are responsible for what is printed under your name. You can blame the ghostwriter, the editor, the publisher, the kid at Eason's who sells the book to the punter as much as you want. Your name is on the book, you're making money from the book, you are responsible for everything that is in the book.
    So, do you have a point do go with that or is it just a general observation?

Ronaldo said what he said, but people have said he was deliberately, and arrogantly winding up the Roma players ahead of the game - when the quotes are a couple of months old (from when he would have said it) and in a book about his life and career so far as opposed to an interview specifically relating to the Roma game. It is also probably an honest answer to a question asked.

To end the argument...

If Ronaldo wasn't a footballer, just a guy in your class/college/workplace...do you think he'd be the jind of person you'd like to hang around with?

ok about the "a" VS "the" debate. still an unbelievably arrogant thing to say though. along with numerous other things he said.

i'll grant you that it COULD be because of cultural misunderstandings, but it COULD also be because they were both stung by some sort of portugeese bee and subsequently, their brains dont work properly.

More likely, they are both just arrogant tossers.

Good manager and player though.

gosplan wrote:
    To end the argument...

If Ronaldo wasn't a footballer, just a guy in your class/college/workplace...do you think he'd be the jind of person you'd like to hang around with?

god i'd slate him so much for being a benny

gosplan wrote:
    To end the argument...

how can anyone answer that - we have no dealings with him outside of football at all.

Would i want to hang out with someone who is close to their family?
    Would i want to hang out with someone who does a lot of charity work?
    Would i want to hang out with someone consistently refered to as a 'joker'?

Yep, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Tauren wrote:
    how can anyone answer that - we have no dealings with him outside of football at all.

Yep, probably.
    Tauren wrote:
    Foul = Hack. Woodgate clearly fouled him = Woodgate clearly hacked him..

WITH = OF. Would I want to hang out with. = Tauren would want to hang out of! :D

By you own rules of language ;)

Jazzy wrote:
    no i dont know him, but i like to believe in the good of people before I call them f**knuts or ar$ecandles due to a few quotations from a book describing his proudest moment in european football. do you?
    To say that people here have said they don't like him due to the quotes in this thread would be stupid. Some people here don't like him due to the reasons that millersangel mentioned earlier in the thread, and the fact that he is a good united player is not near the top of that list, as I think Scholes ang Giggs have been fantastic players and I admire them in a lot of ways, but Gary Neville and Ronaldo for plenty of other reasons than the fact that they play with united are people I for one really dislike.

Tauren wrote:
    Foul = Hack. Woodgate clearly fouled him = Woodgate clearly hacked him.
    Do you know what a hack is? And no, I am not referring to a journalist.

5starpool wrote:
    Do you know what a hack is? And no, I am not referring to a journalist.
    a foul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

5starpool wrote:
    To say that people here have said they don't like him due to the quotes in this thread would be stupid. Some people here don't like him due to the reasons that millersangel mentioned earlier in the thread, and the fact that he is a good united player is not near the top of that list, as I think Scholes ang Giggs have been fantastic players and I admire them in a lot of ways, but Gary Neville and Ronaldo for plenty of other reasons than the fact that they play with united are people I for one really dislike.

stevie me says and does plenty of stupid things yet i dont see a thread about him around with ppl saying he deserves to be fouled and how much of a perceived jerk he is because ppl read too many tabloids.

i think ppl just want to hate ronaldo no matter what the case and will find reasons to regardless.

im a pool supporter btw.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:

Yep, probably.

What? You're saying that character doesn't come across on the football field? That you learn nothing of the man from watching the player? Gimmie a break!

Robbie Savage is crearly a knob, Lehmann is clearly a mentalist German, Roy Keane clearly has a very dark side and Ronaldo is clearly a twerp.

A hundred posts about this shít.

Come on people, was this really necessary?

Take a long hard look at yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

BaZmO* wrote:
    I'm not back seat modding, I just thought it was quite funny that people still insist on saying stuff to get themselves banned. Although, I kinda knew this thread would end up going this way.

Dry your eyes, it wasn't a banning type post for reasons stated. ;)

DesF wrote:
    A hundred posts about this shít.

Come on people, was this really necessary?

Take a long hard look at yourselves.

OK, I know we don't like him, but calling him a Sh1t is just abuse.

Tauren wrote:
    a foul.
    A hack is a foul, but a foul is not necessarily a hack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Back to the topic at hand tho..

Thought it was really "British" of the ITV commentary last night, who was it, Tyldesly (sp?) going on about the Roma players "crying off". About how the goalkeeper was "white as a sheet" before kick off.. etc.. Several other comments were made to the same effect about starting members of the team, can only remember that one, and the one about the Lancashire-born Roma player, "wishing he was playing for the other team" (think this was pre-match actually).

To be honest, this is ridiculous. Im a Utd supporter, but this completely biased commentary just ruins games. Now Im all for a bit of home pride and all that, but suggesting that a travelling European team is physically "afraid" of another team based on the result of the corresponding match the previous season, is just comical.

Honestly, grow a pair lads would yis? Do some proper impartial commentary for once. :rolleyes:

gosplan wrote:
    What? You're saying that character doesn't come across on the football field? That you learn nothing of the man from watching the player? Gimmie a break!

Robbie Savage is crearly a knob, Lehmann is clearly a mentalist German, Roy Keane clearly has a very dark side and Ronaldo is clearly a twerp.
    Not ultimately no.

Henry is possibly the most arrogant footballer on the pitch i have ever seen - but it seems in the real world he is a nice bloke.

I play football with people who have COMPLETELY different characters on the pitch - people who are quiet off the pitch become ultra competitive, and scream at everyone/everything.

I wouldn't say what you see on the pitch is a completely accurate representation of the person outside of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

gosplan wrote:

...I am a totally different character on the pitch than i am off it...almost polar opposites in fact! But, maybe thats just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

gosplan wrote:

I think you'll find Lehmann is actually very quiet off the pitch. Roy Keane is a very private person and prefers to keep himself to himself. And how exactly is Ronaldo a twerp? Anything I've ever read or seen off the pitch suggests the opposite. He's really close to his family, he seems to do quite a bit for charity and has a lot of time for fans. A lot of players have a completely different persona off the pitch. And at least Ronaldo doesn't go knocking young children down! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

An Citeog wrote:
    And how exactly is Ronaldo a twerp? Anything I've ever read or seen off the pitch suggests the opposite. He's really close to his family, he seems to do quite a bit for charity and has a lot of time for fans. A lot of players have a completely different persona off the pitch. And at least Ronaldo doesn't go knocking young children down! ;)
    He prefers a sex orgy with his teammates & hookers though...

Oh and Lehman is the exact opposite of what he's like on the pitch.

zabbo wrote:

Yep, sex orgy... the little pup. How dare he have sex with beautiful women!?

Also, he was just helping his new team mates to settle in to their new club.:D

Tauren wrote:
    Yep, sex orgy... the little pup. How dare he have sex with beautiful women!?
    Tarts from Leeds are beautiful now?

tarts from Leeds CAN be beautiful, to look at anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

zabbo wrote:

It could be worse; he could be sticking mobile phones up....ok I'll stop there before it gets too graphic! :D

Advertisement