Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champion's League Matchweek 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

but i though his passing and final ball were generally poor,

I thought he was very good and direct. He also set up that lovely chance for Rooney that he skied over.

cson is right actually though, Ferdinand was MOM.

RTE showed once again their utter lack of football knowledge in saying that Giggs should start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote:
    Jesus I thought Nani was poor tonight.
    Carrick just doesnt look the part to me.When oh when will Hargreaves be back.

I dont know what RTE were waffling about when they were complaining about Giggs not playing.Hes been in poor form all season and unusually for him looked like he hasnt been trying.
    Apparently Fergie has been less then impressed with Carrick's and form attitude this season, and has had a word in his ear over it - saying he has gotten too big for his boots after winning the league. Disappointed with him tonight, as I thought he was very good against Chelsea and was hoping he would kick his season on from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

from all i've seen i think Giggs should be playing instead of Nani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He's been terrible the last few matches, Nani deserved a go. He wasn't outstanding, but he was as good as if not better than Giggs has been this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

from all i've seen i think Giggs should be playing instead of Nani

For the most part he has this season.The thing with Giggs is,we know hes had bad spells in the past,fair enough,but this reminds me of a few years back when he was on the verge of leaving.His form was poor but more importantly his effort was seriously lacking.It seemed like only whne it became apparent at the time that there was a serious chance of him being shown the door at the end of the season did he pick up his game.

He has looked like hes not interested at times this season and really was dreadfull on Saturday against Birmingham.

I`m yet to be convinced about Nani but at least he is putting the effort in,which is offering more than Giggs on current form.

true enough, but if Nani becomes a starter this season and isn't ready for it (which i dont think he is) it could absolutely destroy his confidence, and for the type of player he is, that'd be a disaster (and an expensive one too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lyon are crap - official! :D

That Reggie Perrin has the anti-Midas touch.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Yep they've being gradually getting worse and worse since Houllier became manager and now Perrin. Its not hard to win the french league wth the other big teams usally in the bottom half of the table. They went through a real long winless streak when Houllier was manager but still won the league as they had much better players than anyone else. He got out while his reputation was good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote:
    Lyon are crap - official! :D

That Reggie Perrin has the anti-Midas touch.

Mike.
    Well they have lost Abidal, Malouda, Tiago, Wiltord, as well as Cacapa to Newcastle (although I don't know how much he played for them).

Rangers' group of death is turning into a stroll :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

aye...lyon are crap..its easy to win the french league, are you lot joking?!?!

Did you even see the game tonight or were you too busy with the man u game?
    Rangers were fantastic tonight, they defended brilliantly and took their chances when they came.
    I'll summarise the game for you all when im more sober!:D
    WE ARE THE PEOPLE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No dude, leave them at, Celtic are sooooo much betr than rangers scum...IRA.... Like Celtic drew with AC MIlan at home, a few years ago, so celtic are like much betr ye no. Tey are a true irish team, wit tere shamrock on tere jersey.

Back to the real world, good performance from Roma, should have had a penalty, Mancini was off it..Aquilani is far better than what he showed.
    I think we(I use this term losely) deserved at least a draw.

What was this crap about Rooney's goal being a moment of a 'special player''..it was a good goal, but players like Benjani or Pazzini score goals like that all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Roma did not deserve a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone see Chelsea winning tomorrow? I can't but I don't know how Valencia have started in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Archimedes wrote:
    Roma did not deserve a draw.

They had the far better chances and overall played better I thought.

Did anyone else think Roma seemed in nogreat hurry to do anything. They seemed to be plodding around the pitch and had they not had such good ball control Utd would have had a much better game. Even near the end there was absolutely no urgency about their game, it was as if they didnt think they were a goal down.

Where was O'shea tonight? I got to my uncles and missed the first 20 mins or so, it was around 70 mins in when I heard O'sheas name first, I was genuinly shocked he was playing cos I never even noticed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

RasTa wrote:
    Anyone see Chelsea winning tomorrow? I can't but I don't know how Valencia have started in La Liga.
    They lost their opening game 3-0 at home to Villarreal, who subsequently lost their next game 0-5 at home to Madrid.

Note that Villarreal have won every other game (out of 6) without conceding a goal... :confused:

Valencia have also won every other game, but in a rather unconvincing 1-0 manner, Man Utd style. They also beat Schalke 1-0 away in their opening CL fixture so I guess you could say they will be very tough to beat.

David Villa, Silva, and Joaquin are all in good form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Tuesday 2nd October

E Lyon v Rangers - HOME
    E Stuttgart v Barcelona - DRAW
    F Man. United v Roma - HOME
    F Dynamo Kyiv v Sporting - HOME
    G CSKA Moskva v Fenerbahçe - HOME
    G Internazionale v PSV - DRAW
    H Steaua v Arsenal - AWAY
    H Sevilla v Slavia - HOME

Wednesday 3rd October

A Liverpool v Marseille - HOME
    A Beşiktaş v Porto - HOME
    B Valencia v Chelsea - AWAY
    B Rosenborg v Schalke - HOME
    C Lazio v Real Madrid - AWAY
    C Bremen v Olympi*cos - HOME
    D Celtic v Milan - DRAW
    D Benfica v Shakhtar - HOME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

estebancambias - stfu. The Celtic fans that have commented on Rangers result are congratulating them.

Joeyjoejoe43 - i have a plan that could make us both rich. When do the matches kick off where you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    Joeyjoejoe43 - i have a plan that could make us both rich. When do the matches kick off where you are?
    :D:D

eirebhoy wrote:
    estebancambias - stfu. The Celtic fans that have commented on Rangers result are congratulating them.

yep....no problems from actual celtic fans eirebhoy....which is why i made the point about the Man Utd game.

Joeyjoejoe...you still got some wrong! :confused:

Eirebear wrote:

Joeyjoejoe...you still got some wrong! :confused:
    He only got three of eight right :D:confused::D

• Advertisement

lol....at least he was being honest i suppose and put up his actual predictions even though he knew they were wrong.....

Also any greek fans looking in must be wondering why *******kos is a swear word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

eirebhoy wrote:
    See Nani headbutting Totti in the arse? :D

lollers.

I thought I was the only one to cop that.

Bit petulant tbh and it wasn't like he played well anyway.

Really thought Utd were very poor last night up until the goal. Roma just couldn't buy a goal. Shame.

I will conceed that Rio was in fact very good; I recall him getting across and throwing a leg in the way of a Roma attack just on the 6 year box when he had no right to!

oh, and JoS was terrible. How many times did he get caught ball watching?

and it was a penalty for Roma :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

what was the story with Houghton last night? He didn't stop giving out about United for the whole game! Granted they weren't amazing but they did enough to win the game. He's not a fan of Nani anyway.

dubmick wrote:
    what was the story with Houghton last night? He didn't stop giving out about United for the whole game! Granted they weren't amazing but they did enough to win the game. He's not a fan of Nani anyway.
    He's not a fan of anyone. Someone scores a 40 yard screamer and he has to pick faults in the goalkeeping.

eirebhoy wrote:
    He's not a fan of anyone. Someone scores a 40 yard screamer and he has to pick faults in the goalkeeping.
    If a gk is positioned correctly he won't be beaten from 40 yards.

Anyway, the defensive mf should have gotten a block in..

:D

:) Seriously though, listen to him the next time. Everything has to be negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

eirebhoy wrote:
    :) Seriously though, listen to him the next time. Everything has to be negative.

+1
    I've thought this for a long time. Sometimes I just mute the TV & watch the match, if it's not on another channel.

Houghton makes a manic depressive sound cheerful & optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

By listening to him, you'd think he was a godlike, infallible player when he was a professional!

Surely the most negative pundit I have ever come across in my life. Bring back Beglin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its true though! Theres always almost a note of "pfft id have done it better" to the way he talks! Gets very annoying, always kind of dulls a moment of magic from someone to have him banging on about what they or someone else did wrong rather then acknowledging quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Watched the Rangers game last night and that was an impressive result. The polar opposite of Celtics away performances :(

Apprehensive about tonight although I think Celtic can win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

A Liverpool v Marseille - HOME
    A Beşiktaş v Porto - AWAY
    B Valencia v Chelsea - DRAW
    B Rosenborg v Schalke - AWAY
    C Lazio v Real Madrid - AWAY
    C Bremen v *******kos - HOME
    D Celtic v Milan - AWAY (Not a hope in hell milan will lose this)
    D Benfica v Shakhtar - HOME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

D Celtic v Milan - AWAY (Not a hope in hell milan will lose this)

I dunno..they've been awful in the league so far..im predicting a draw for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Their position in the serie a is mainly down to a run of draws. They are a different team in europe imo, destroyed benfica already look how they played against liverpool, man utd, etc just 4 months ago.. can't rule that out like. I'd go with a 3-1 win to Milan.

I reckon Milan will do enough to get the win....but i dont see them having it all their own way.
    Celtic are a completely different team at home that the one that capitulated to shaktar away

Lads, are Sky 1 (note : NOT Skysports 1) showing CL football now?

If so, is it going to be a regular thing?

Yea i could have sworn the last rangers CL game was on Sky1?

DesF wrote:
    Lads, are Sky 1 (note : NOT Skysports 1) showing CL football now?

If so, is it going to be a regular thing?

I'm not sure but i know they showed the Rangers Stuttgart game on Sky1....I think they are using it as another bargaining tool against people who are looking at going for Virgin or NTL etc.
    So it could be a regular thing

OK thanks lads.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Their position in the serie a is mainly down to a run of draws. They are a different team in europe imo, destroyed benfica already look how they played against liverpool, man utd, etc just 4 months ago.. can't rule that out like. I'd go with a 3-1 win to Milan.
    Sure in the first knock out round last year they were brought to extra time by Celtic. 0-0 in normal time in both games.

Terrible argument!!! :rolleyes:

Liverpool match is on Setanta Ireland (the free one) yes?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Liverpool match is on Setanta Ireland (the free one) yes?

Mike.
    They showed Arsenal last night anyway.

So I'd imagine so.

Dammit though, SkyOne are showing Celtic, so are RTE.

Come on TV Channels, get in sync will yiz ffs, two places showing the same match in this jurisdiction is a joke.

I had the same thought last night, but then RTE would put Man Utd at home ahead of Arsenal away I suspect regardless of what ITV are doing.

Mike.

And no-one showing Chelsea?

That's the match I want to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Sky One is scheduled to show CL matches on 24 Oct, 7th & 28th Nov.

Some say it's so they can show 3 matches in HD, some say it's to piss off (and attract) Virgin Media customers, who don't get Sky 1 as part of the package anymore.

Either way, it's more football for more people without a Sky Sports sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

S.M.B. wrote:
    Sure in the first knock out round last year they were brought to extra time by Celtic. 0-0 in normal time in both games.

Terrible argument!!! :rolleyes:

That was more to do with Milan's inability to score and heroic performances from the Celtic defence and Boruc having an absolute stormer. If Nakamura doesn't play tonight, Celtic will struggle to create much and I can see Milan winning this 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

DesF wrote:
    And no-one showing Chelsea?

That's the match I want to watch.
    Ah what? Is no channel showing this? It's the only one I'd any real interest in as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

If Sky 1 are showing the milan match perhaps sky sports are showing the chelsea match?

Edit:
    Yep. Sky Sports Extra are showing it.

Wed 3 Liverpool v Marseille (7.45pm) Sky Sports 2
    Wed 3 Valencia v Chelsea (7.45pm) Sky Sports Extra
    Wed 3 Celtic v AC Milan (7.45pm) Sky One

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html

Jarosik plays his first game of the season...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3775/teamsbp2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

An Citeog wrote:
    If Nakamura doesn't play tonight, Celtic will struggle to create much and I can see Milan winning this 1-0.
    Nakamura has been in terrible form as of late for Celtic. The only thing is that he can still hit the free-kicks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement