Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champion's League Matchweek 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Remember the peno Niall Quinn got for us against Spain in 2002? For the same reason afaik, Hierro almost had the shirt off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

super result for celtic. absolutely super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

AC Milan now 9/1 to win the CL. That's good odds imo they just had a bad game tonight. Weather didn't help either they were slippin an slidin all over the place, fouls every 2.5 minutes, etc. When (not if ;))they get past the group stages that's usually when they start showing everyone how football is supposed to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Weather didn't help either they were slippin an slidin all over the place

Didn't help me either, I got drenched coming home for work :D It was the same weather for both teams though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Didn't help me either, I got drenched coming home for work :D It was the same weather for both teams though

Think how i felt walk back along london road into the city centre after the game kicked off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Milan said that they are making no complaint about the "incident" which sums it all up for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

RasTa wrote:
    Milan said that they are making no complaint about the "incident" which sums it all up for me really.

If I had to be strechered off as the result of an opposition fan assaulting me I'd make damn sure my club made a complaint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

fortuneg wrote:
    If I had to be strechered off as the result of an opposition fan assaulting me I'd make damn sure my club made a complaint!
    I think we can say for certain that you didn't actually see the incident. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, there's no doubt in my mind fortuneg hasn't seen the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Considering Uefa awarded Milan the game 5-0(and a few games behind closed doors if I remember correctly) when an Inter fan threw a flare on to the pitch and hit Dida Celtic could be in serious trouble - regardless of how hard he "hit" him it could easily be deemed a more serious offence.

Dida shoudl be punsihed as well - reckon ungentlemany conduct could apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kida wrote:
    Considering Uefa awarded Milan the game 5-0(and a few games behind closed doors if I remember correctly) when an Inter fan threw a flare on to the pitch and hit Dida Celtic could be in serious trouble - regardless of how hard he "hit" him it could easily be deemed a more serious offence.

Dida shoudl be punsihed as well - reckon ungentlemany conduct could apply

I dont really think the Milan Vs Inter incident is comparable to be honest. There was dozens of flairs raining down on the pitch during play, one struck Dida.

Last night, one young fan, ran on the pitch, literally lay a finger on Dida and ran off celebrating the goal his team had scored to beat the European Champions.

Uefa should maybe hit Celtic with a small fine for allowing the fan onto the pitch, but Dida should face more serious charges imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Dida acted awfully. No doubt about it. Celtic should lose the points though. Players need to be able to feel safe out there. Its bad enough when you've to worry about awful tackles without having to worry about fans coming on to intimidate you. Make an example of Celtic and people might learn in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd take the same standpoint except, instead of making the example of Celtic.....I'd make it of Dida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone got a link to this incident? I really have to see it.

DSB wrote:
    Dida acted awfully. No doubt about it. Celtic should lose the points though. Players need to be able to feel safe out there.
    People run on the pitch all the time.

• Advertisement

I know. I don't like pitch invasions at all. But this was something different. Dida was a ridiculous ridiculous lad and should be punished for doing that. But lets imagine Dida hadn't gone down like he'd been shot. Or imagine it was someone else. And just concentrate on what actually happened beforehand. If you're in goals, and some scummy looking lad jumps out of the crowd and starts running at you, I dunno about you but I'd be extremely intimidated and wondering what exactly he was going to do. The fan had no right to be there and certainly had no right to touch Dida in a manner he wasn't comfortable with. Players have a right to feel safe on the pitch and I'm sure its bad enough worrying about the Ganeas of the world who would end your career and laugh about it later. I know players earn alot of money for their troubles but then again they are far more open to abuse. Its important that a precedent is set here. If it isn't similar events may keep happening and it'll be difficult to crack down on it then. Because any future offenders will be able to reference and say 'Well you let Celtic away with it'. Personally I think the ridiculous antics of Dida allowed the previous despicable behaviour be wiped under the carpet by a few.

I'm sorry but I don't see how Celtic are any more in the wrong than all the clubs that have had streakers running on. You're basically just telling us what potentially could have happened. A streaker could potentially have a nife in his hand too. If you think a team should play games behind closed doors after a streaker running on then fair enough.

Streakers generally don't go near anyone. And generally don't run at players and touch them in anyway. If they do then the same thing should happen. And I'm not just talking about what could have happened. I'm talking about what Dida had a genuine right to be afraid of happening. Everyone has a right to feel safe in the workplace. Even idiots like Dida.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't see how Celtic are any more in the wrong than all the clubs that have had streakers running on. You're basically just telling us what potentially could have happened. A streaker could potentially have a nife in his hand too. If you think a team should play games behind closed doors after a streaker running on then fair enough.

Did you feel the same last year when Mr Gallagher attempted to chain himself to the goal post at Ibrox Eirebhoy?
    All over the media there were calls for us to be hammered for this...even though the guy was a self confessed celtic fan, abused Rangers players and fans, and didnt touch anyone.
    Today is a different story however, "a playful tap" "brushed against dida" and my personal favourite from a certain Murdo McLeod on the radio last night....:rolleyes:

Eirebear wrote:
    Did you feel the same last year when Mr Gallagher attempted to chain himself to the goal post at Ibrox Eirebhoy?
    All over the media there were calls for us to be hammered for this...even though the guy was a self confessed celtic fan, abused Rangers players and fans, and didnt touch anyone.
    I can guarantee you that I wasn't calling for Rangers to be seriously punished over that incident. I'm not that mad.

btw, do you really think it was more than "a playful tap"?

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can guarantee you that I wasn't calling for Rangers to be seriously punished over that incident. I'm not that mad.

btw, do you really think it was more than "a playful tap"?

TBH with you no...and i probably worded that wrong because i am slightly pissed off with the way the media over here are handling this. I wasnt digging at you really.
    The fact of the matter is though that Dida has probably done the stupid wee ****er a favour with his antics.

I still stand by my reasoning that he had the right to go down and bring it to the attention of the referee, but after that with the stretcher and the ice pack...complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Eirebear wrote:
    Today is a different story however, "a playful tap" "brushed against dida" and my personal favourite from a certain Murdo McLeod on the radio last night....:rolleyes:
    Right Eirebear, so the Italian media think Dida disgraced himself, the AC manager thinks it didn't look serious and the Milan captain thinks its no big deal yet you still persist with the "It was a thundering disgrace" train of thought. Get a grip buddy.

Pighead wrote:
    Right Eirebear, so the Italian media think Dida disgraced himself, the AC manager thinks it didn't look serious and the Milan captain thinks its no big deal yet you still persist with the "It was a thundering disgrace" train of thought. Get a grip buddy.
    Tell you what pighead, why dont you read my posts before having a go eh?
    The fact of the matter is though that Dida has probably done the stupid wee ****er a favour with his antics.

I still stand by my reasoning that he had the right to go down and bring it to the attention of the referee, but after that with the stretcher and the ice pack...complete joke.
    See anything there?

Eirebear wrote:
    Tell you what pighead, why dont you read my posts before having a go eh?

See anything there?
    :confused: Eh its pretty clear what you said. It didn't need too much reading to be honest. You said he had every right to go down, ie cheat, and I said that the Italian media, Milan manager and Milan captain disagree with you. Did you read my post?

Pighead wrote:
    :confused: Eh its pretty clear what you said. It didn't need too much reading to be honest. You said he had every right to go down, ie cheat, and I said that the Italian media, Milan manager and Milan captain disagree with you. Did you read my post?

I said he had every right to go down in order to bring it to the attention of the referee, yes.
    Put it this way, the stewarding and police missed the whole bloody thing and the wee runt made it back into the crowd without being caught, so how would you expect the ref to have noticed it without someone bringing it to his attention?

I then went on to describe his antics afterwards as a joke, thats were the cheating came in. Not in the fact he went down at all.

Eirebear wrote:
    I said he had every right to go down in order to bring it to the attention of the referee, yes.
    Put it this way, the stewarding and police missed the whole bloody thing and the wee runt made it back into the crowd without being caught, so how would you expect the ref to have noticed it without someone bringing it to his attention?

I then went on to describe his antics afterwards as a joke, thats were the cheating came in. Not in the fact he went down at all.
    So you don't think that he was cheating when he feigned injury and dramatically collapsed to the ground in an obvious attempt to get the game abandoned then? It was only when the stretcher came on that the cheating began? Give me a break Eirebear, the whole thing stinks of cheating. Let the authorities deal with the idiot fan. Dida should have stayed out of it.

60,000 screaming fans are quite an intimidating thing, were always told that about the atmosphere within parkhead.
    If some scummy wee bugger broke out of that crowd and managed to get away COMPLETELY unchallenged then i would feel fairly intimidated myself, and im pretty damn sure i would want to make sure someone knew about it incase another, more malicious idiot decided to have a go.

The security at Parkhead last night was nothing short of shocking.

I have said before now i hope that Uefa dont come down too heavy on Celtic, a fine should suffice, and yes they must look at Dida's antics. But if he hadnt played it as far as he did we wouldnt even be talking about it now.

Eirebear wrote:
    60,000 screaming fans are quite an intimidating thing, were always told that about the atmosphere within parkhead.
    If some scummy wee bugger broke out of that crowd and managed to get away COMPLETELY unchallenged then i would feel fairly intimidated myself, and im pretty damn sure i would want to make sure someone knew about it incase another, more malicious idiot decided to have a go.
    Ha ha thats hilarious. So you're saying the reason Dida went down was because he was afraid some other fcuker was gonna come out of the crowd and give him a proper punch. He didn't look too scared or intimidated to me when he started to run after the little scumbag with gritted teeth. Did this fear and need for the referrees protection just kick in mid stride.

Face it Eirebear, Dida went down to get the match abandoned/replayed. Fear or intimidation had absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i agree that something has to be done, the idiot could have had a knofe or anything.

He didnt, and dida made an absolute mockery of himself and UEFA will deal with both the security and dida accordingly

Pighead wrote:
    Ha ha thats hilarious. So you're saying the reason Dida went down was because he was afraid some other fcuker was gonna come out of the crowd and give him a proper punch. He didn't look too scared or intimidated to me when he started to run after the little scumbag with gritted teeth. Did this fear and need for the referrees protection just kick in mid stride.

Face it Eirebear, Dida went down to get the match abandoned/replayed. Fear or intimidation had absolutely nothing to do with it.

For crying out loud....have you no intention of listening to anyones opinions except your own? Yes he chased the guy, for about two steps, realised there was no chance of catching him...as the police and stewards are testament to, and went down.

Heres the difficult bit ok? Are you ready for it?
    My opinion is of this, any player in that position has a right to go down and bring it to the attention of match officials/police/stewards/whatever.
    He did not however, have the right to cheat by playacting to the point of getting himself stretchered off and substituted. This is where he made an backside of himself , and this is where he actually done Celtic, The scumbag who ran onto the pitch, the police and other security a big favour.

I'm not sure i can spell this out any simpler for you dude.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote:
    For crying out loud....have you no intention of listening to anyones opinions except your own? Yes he chased the guy, for about two steps, realised there was no chance of catching him...as the police and stewards are testament to, and went down.
    I'm starting to think you're having a laugh at this stage.

Dida, (an extremely fit athlete) was about 2 yards behind a chubby looking scumbag who wasn't even running quickly, he had his hands in the air for god sake yet he was unable to catch him!

Eirebear wrote:
    Heres the difficult bit ok? Are you ready for it?
    My opinion is of this, any player in that position has a right to go down and bring it to the attention of match officials/police/stewards/whatever.
    He did not however, have the right to cheat by playacting to the point of getting himself stretchered off and substituted. This is where he made an backside of himself , and this is where he actually done Celtic, The scumbag who ran onto the pitch, the police and other security a big favour.

I'm not sure i can spell this out any simpler for you dude.
    I know what your opinion is and my opinion is that you are wrong. I am having absolutely no comprehension problems here. I hear exactly what you are saying and I think you are wrong. You think he was right to go down feigning injury, i think he was wrong. Simple as that. So no need for the patronising tone my good man.

Pighead wrote:
    I know what your opinion is and my opinion is that you are wrong. I am having absolutely no comprehension problems here. I hear exactly what you are saying and I think you are wrong. You think he was right to go down feigning injury, i think he was wrong. Simple as that. So no need for the patronising tone my good man.

Obviously you don't have comprehension problems, so maybe it my use of the english language that is letting me down, but i could have sworn i have said, time and time again that he was right to go down in order to bring it to the attention of the match officials and security.I have also said he was wrong to feign injury the way he did, but you laughed that off if i recall correctly.

As for him being an extremely fit athlete and two yards behind a chubby looking scumbag....think back to the policing situation, what would have happened if he HAD caught the guy and clobbered him one? Another fan on the pitch? Dida being sent off? A mass invasion of the pitch with every single one of them gunning for him? Doesnt really sound like a good idea does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Eirebear wrote:

The security at Parkhead last night was nothing short of shocking.

The sound of a barrel being scraped

It is very easy for any fan to run onto a pitch. The surprising thing was this particular idiot managed to get over the other side without anybody chasing him. What we saw last night was child's play compared to what Dida comes across in Italian football. The man was trying to cheat the ref, cheat Celtic, cheat his own team and cheat UEFA

The sound of a barrel being scraped

The man was trying to cheat the ref, cheat Celtic, cheat his own team and cheat UEFA

Not at all mate, not at all..in fact i believe its a very logical argument.

And yes he was trying to cheat...i havnt once denied that as i said in my above post though he had every right to go down in order to bring it to the officials attention.
    As you said the wee runt got away completely unchallenged...and for that reason Celtic will be in trouble.

Pigheads almost worn out here. One....last.....try
    Eirebear do you think there was any slight chance that Dida was trying to get the game abandoned or the result reversed?

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads almost worn out here. One....last.....try
    Eirebear do you think there was any slight chance that Dida was trying to get the game abandoned or the result reversed?

YES FOR CHRISTS SAKE!, ive already stated that the fact that he got himself stretchered off and substituted was nothing short of cheating and that should be looked into.

But in that situation i would advise any player to go down in order to bring it tthe attention of the officials.
    remember the guy managed to make it out of the stadium without being noticed by the police.

How dida went about it after that was wrong, how many times do i need to explain my position on this?

Eirebear wrote:
    YES FOR CHRISTS SAKE!, ive already stated that the fact that he got himself stretchered off and substituted was nothing short of cheating and that should be looked into.

But in that situation i would advise any player to go down in order to bring it tthe attention of the officials.
    remember the guy managed to make it out of the stadium without being noticed by the police.

How dida went about it after that was wrong, how many times do i need to explain my position on this?
    Stop shouting, you're scaring the children. Right so we're making progress. You agree that Dida may have went down feigning injury in order to get the match abandoned/replayed. Now nothing else matters here before or after, nothing.

He was wrong to try to get the match abandoned, falling down and getting the refs attention falls into this category so that is all part of the wrongness also (assuming wrongness is a word).

Pigheads away for a lie down.

Pighead wrote:
    Stop shouting, you're scaring the children. Right so we're making progress. You agree that Dida may have went down feigning injury in order to get the match abandoned/replayed. Now nothing else matters here before or after, nothing.

He was wrong to try to get the match abandoned, falling down and getting the refs attention falls into this category so that is all part of the wrongness also (assuming wrongness is a word).

Pigheads away for a lie down.

Ok i feel dizzy after that....enjoy your lie down...you deserve it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Eirebear wrote:

?

I don't understand this point at all? Why does he need to go down? Why can't he just mention it to the ref and he can put it in his notes. No player should go down unless he is hurt.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote:
    I don't understand this point at all? Why does he need to go down? Why can't he just mention it to the ref and he can put it in his notes. No player should go down unless he is hurt.

OK im not going to go through this again after this.
    Is he supposed to just quietly walk up to the referees room after the game and say...by the way Marcus, a wee scumbag jumped out of the crowd and "playfully tapped" me on the cheek, man i was worried for my life for a second, you know fans really shouldnt do that can you please put it in your report? Thanks mate.:rolleyes:

I'm not condoning the fact that he rolled about like a twat, but as ive said before NO ONE saw the incident at the time...christ the little **** got back into the crowd unnoticed, so he had to do something getting himself to the ground is the best way of doing that.

No, he runs up to the ref on the pitch and tells him. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    No, he runs up to the ref on the pitch and tells him. :)
    Again, not really a possibility in that kind of situation i dont think.
    The referee is watching the celtic players and fans smash through advertising hoardings at the time ;)

Why would the Ref need to be told?
    Surely the dozens of cameras set up by Sky and whoever else are evidence enough of the incident, it was never going to go unnoticed whether Dida went down or not.
    Do UEFA seriously need a note in the refs match report (about something he didn't see) saying...

"The Milan keeper said he was struck by a fan running across the pitch during the celebration of Celtic's second goal"

...to take action?

In any case it's all what if's really, fact is Dida was hit so hard & fast that the delayed reaction caused his entire body to go into shock and give way mid-stride as he was chasing his attacker.

Get well soon Dida!

fortuneg wrote:
    I presume Eirebear is talking about Dida being scared for his own safety. ;)

fortuneg wrote:
    Surely the dozens of cameras set up by Sky and whoever else are evidence enough of the incident, it was never going to go unnoticed whether Dida went down or not.
    Do UEFA seriously need a note in the refs match report (about something he didn't see) saying...

"The Milan keeper said he was struck by a fan running across the pitch during the celebration of Celtic's second goal"

...to take action?

In any case it's all what if's really, fact is Dida was hit so hard & fast that the delayed reaction caused his entire body to go into shock and give way mid-stride as he was chasing his attacker.

Get well soon Dida!

lol...maybe your right.

Uefa have said they are waiting on the match report, so yeah i would say its pretty important that the ref knows whats going on on the pitch :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I presume Eirebear is talking about Dida being scared for his own safety. ;)

Ahh feck off you :p Is there anybody left on this forum who hasnt taken me on on this one...im really getting tired i might give up.....:cool:

Eirebear wrote:
    lol...maybe your right.

Uefa have said they are waiting on the match report, so yeah i would say its pretty important that the ref knows whats going on on the pitch :rolleyes:

Well then Uefa really are a bunch of morons, why in Gods name would they need to take into account the refs report of an incident he didn't even see?

Sounds like a stalling tactic or an organisation of moronic beurocrats.
    Maybe both... who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/2007/02/25/srfron250207.jpg

alleged attacker is being sought by Glasgow Police.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DSB wrote:
    I know. I don't like pitch invasions at all. But this was something different. Dida was a ridiculous ridiculous lad and should be punished for doing that. But lets imagine Dida hadn't gone down like he'd been shot. Or imagine it was someone else. And just concentrate on what actually happened beforehand. If you're in goals, and some scummy looking lad jumps out of the crowd and starts running at you, I dunno about you but I'd be extremely intimidated and wondering what exactly he was going to do. The fan had no right to be there and certainly had no right to touch Dida in a manner he wasn't comfortable with. Players have a right to feel safe on the pitch and I'm sure its bad enough worrying about the Ganeas of the world who would end your career and laugh about it later. I know players earn alot of money for their troubles but then again they are far more open to abuse. Its important that a precedent is set here. If it isn't similar events may keep happening and it'll be difficult to crack down on it then. Because any future offenders will be able to reference and say 'Well you let Celtic away with it'. Personally I think the ridiculous antics of Dida allowed the previous despicable behaviour be wiped under the carpet by a few.

Dida never even flinched until the guy was well on his was running off. He no more felt he was in danger than I did sitting at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement