Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can anyone help me please?

Options
  • 02-10-2007 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am looking for any ideas on how to get a lock nut of my car!

I have a puncture and can not get my hands on the correct lock nuts for the car (its a honda civic coupe lsi) i have ordered them and they were wrong ones.

I then took car to a garage who took a chisel and hammer to it and tried to get it out! it broke!!!!!!

Im now desperate to get my puncture fixed as i really need my car!

any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Is it a nut ot a bolt? If its a bolt you might try drilling it out, I Dunno. i fookin hate those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A last resort is to weld a bolt onto the locknut, and loosen off with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

yeah what andrewf said . I had the same problem on my car too (also a civic incidentally) , I brought it to a garage and they tried burning it off :confused: and scorched my alloys. I took it home and brought it to the same garage 1 week later and someother guy was trying it and then eventually got it off -- how , i dont know, but i was pissed ff at the first guy bruning my alloy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Andrews' is the best suggestion so far. Just make sure that the person doing it has done it before.

I'd be more inclined to let a tyre centre (not a "fit" one, though!!!) do this, as I'd expect them to have more experience, plus they'd be able to fix the puncture and refit the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

Fey! wrote:
    Andrews' is the best suggestion so far. Just make sure that the person doing it has done it before.

I'd be more inclined to let a tyre centre (not a "fit" one, though!!!) do this, as I'd expect them to have more experience, plus they'd be able to fix the puncture and refit the tyre.

when you say "fit" do you mean fast fit etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Where abouts in the country are you Vonny.

I know a guy in Limerick who is a master at it. He was reccomended to me by my own mechanic and he sorted me out no problem. He's just off Clare Street Looking at a map now I think the name of the street is St Leila Street. Victory Tyres is the name of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

I did this twice before by getting a cheap socket a size or so smaller than the lock nut and hitting it onto the locknut with a lump hammer its worth trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This happened to me only two weeks ago.

There is a special tool for doing this. It is like a reverse thread die tapper. Hard to explain but they got mine off in five minutes with no damage to my wheels. I had it done in my local tyre depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

as a tempory fix Get some superseal it can be put in while the tyre is on the car and it will block the puncture - think it costs ~ 20€ per wheel.
    and i dont know anywhere to get it in dublin :( but it does work, iu have seen 3 nails in a tyre with super seal and it was still hard.
    http://www.punctureproof.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

Hagar wrote:
    This happened to me only two weeks ago.

There is a special tool for doing this. It is like a reverse thread die tapper. Hard to explain but they got mine off in five minutes with no damage to my wheels. I had it done in my local tyre depot.

I had this reverse thread thing you mentioned!!! it didnt work also!

the lock nut is now broke inside thanks to the guys at fast fit who took a chisel and hammer to it!

im in dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Happened me also. There was no room to weld anything on, so I resorted to a drill. What you'll need is a cobalt drill bit, or better yet, a set of them, start with a pilot hole of about 5mm, then go to the bit that's just a few mm less in diameter than the hole in the alloy, and drill through. When you're done you'll need to get the stud replaced in the wheel hub, but that's actually not expensive. 3 nuts will hold the wheel on until you reach the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭walshs3

barryfitz wrote:
    Is it a nut ot a bolt? If its a bolt you might try drilling it out, I Dunno. i fookin hate those things.

Was just thinking there,if instead you just attached the drill directly onto the lock nut (provided the drill chuck was large enough to accomodate the lock nut)hit reverse on the drill.Mightnt have enough torque to do this unless it was a really good drill?

Advertisement