Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless Broadband security issues

Options
  • 02-10-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

from rte

Tuesday, 2 October 2007 10:26
    Eircom says it will be getting in touch with up to 250,000 of its customers following concerns about security on its wireless modems.

The security flaw means that hackers could access wireless connections without the knowledge of the account holder.

The issue affects the Netopia 3300 and 2247 series routers.

Wireless broadband systems have always been vulnerable to abuse because other people besides the subscriber can use the Internet connection.

An Eircom spokesman said it would take someone with technical expertise to be able to 'piggy back' on someone else's broadband.

However he said that if it were to happen the account holder could be held responsible for the websites visited by a hacker.

He advised customers to change the four-digit security personal identification number provided with their wireless modems in order to provide a basic level of security.

But he pointed out that no wireless system offered complete protection from abuse.

Instructions on how to improve security are available on Eircom's broadband website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

It was only highlighted because of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

For anyone who needs a guide...

http://home.eircom.net/html/announcement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, we're aware.

Point of this thread?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

auggie2k wrote:

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

basquille wrote:
    Yes, we're aware.

Point of this thread?!

I thought people would be interested in the fact that eircom are so worried about the current wireless security issues with the netopia routers that they are looking to contact all their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry grasscutter... but one of the mods obviously merged threads - i was not referring to yours.

It was a thread by auggie2k with the title 'Eircom' and just "........................" in the opening post as quoted by johnnyrotten above.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

basquille wrote:
    Sorry grasscutter... but one of the mods obviously merged threads - i was not referring to yours.

It was a thread by auggie2k with the title 'Eircom' and just "........................" in the opening post as quoted by johnnyrotten above.

no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Moro

Sorry but can someone claify if this effects the Mac OS and whether I need to change the Netopia password...The Eircome site only indicated MS.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Moro wrote:
    Sorry but can someone claify if this effects the Mac OS and whether I need to change the Netopia password...The Eircome site only indicated MS.

Thanks...

Moro, the problem is which the WEP key on the Router, it is not OS related.
    All the configuration is done via the Web-interface so should be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Moro

Thanks for that BOFH_139, appreciate the words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

that knocks me off then jim.. i've been robbing ur broadband since you got it

dough!!:eek:

no more http://www.redtube.com for me

(live next door to grasscutter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Stick with good old copper technology and disable the wireless, Bish Bash Bosh, problem solved.

Solves all those connection drops using netopia equipment too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

I kinda think this is a load of shock crap. WEP is weak and is easily broken with the right tools. The new generator, if I am correct, has been released in a modified version, it just gives the first key and needs to be compiled. Someone with knowledge can probably fill in the blanks but they could also have busted the network using aireplay, aircrack etc. I would imagine that there are more people on Boards for example that dont know how to compile the program than those who do. This is just the same gig from a different angle imho and anyone using (Eircom-BT etc) WEP are at risk as they have been for a long time. If it involved being able to get a WPA key then it would be intresting but cracking the cracked?

The new exploit may be fast but its for those who lack the will and probably wont be too bothered to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Got a boilerplate letter today from Eircom seeking to placate the worries of the great unwashed.

The gist of it was that Eircom take security issues "very seriously", and to minimise the risk instructions are available on their website (link provided).

In other words, change the WEP key.

Storm in a teacup tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

Hi all
    i have a zyxal modem with wpa security,provided by eircom broadband, my service was hacked and somebody used 30gig of data at my expense.

i rang eircom and changed my wpa codes etc, there attitude stinks and they wont admit that there default security settings are very weak, and its a handy source of revenue for them as the hackers drive you over your limit and they bill you for exceeding your usage limit.

so change your security codes and protect your self and your wallet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Please don't revive old threads.

It is not easy to crack wpa. You dont change your security settings by ringing Eircom (or whoever your isp is) you do it yourself by accessing your router.

Your isp's responsibility is to deliver an internet signal to your router/modem.

If you decide to use wireless in your home that is your decision and not your isp's responsibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement