Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mech Eng jobs

• 02-10-2007 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Just on my coop at the moment, was just wondering.. out of those of you who have finished a Mechanical Engineering degree recently, how tough is out there to pick up a job? I know its all about experience, with 2+ years being the usual requirement. Is there many places out there taking on graduates? Did you have to travel to find work? I'd love to get into automotives, but tbh, if I can get a decent wage i'd drop into anything. Yes, shallow and money driven engineer here :)

If i could get some feedback from recently graduated mechs it would be greatly appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I applied for three companies (online). Two offered interviews and I got offered two jobs. All jobs were outside Ireland so not sure what its like back home.

I am working in R&D in an automotive company so masters/doctorate NOT necessary. Great sector to work in I think, though I've only been here a month so not really settled yet. I'm working on the CAE division so the future looks bright and the skills should be very transferrable.

Good luck with getting what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Congrats on getting the job enda, what kind of work have you been given so far? What country is this?

CAE = computer aided engineering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Thanks. Yeah thats what it stands for alright. Learning CATIAv5 at the moment. Then using their GPS and GAS modules to do some structural analysis. Concurrently I am studying the mathematics behind the finite element process. My mentor in work is a doctorate and was a lecturer in CAE and the finite element/volume method.

Will be moving onto fluent, nastran, etc. etc. when I get a useful understanding of the others.

At the moment we are doing a lot of supplier evaluation. Finding suitable companies to outsource some simulation and testing elements to, while attempting to expand our in house capabilities. Its pretty cool and interesting cause I am learning so much so quickly about so many different areas of the business.

Plus you get to see/drive/be driven in some kick-ass prototypes!!

Job's in Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hi, got my mech eng degree this year in UCD, We had a brilliant mech department office who regularly sent us out emails from companies looking for graduates, thats where most of my class got jobs.

There aren't too many jobs going in the automotive sector, however one on my friends got a job with toyota , he's in belguim now but will be moved to the uk for a few months also. You wouldn't have much luck getting a job in automotive here, although Timoney tech. (offroad vehicles) who are based in meath were looking for a gradute a while back.

The energy and biomech sectors seem to be the best bet for a job at the moment, I'm looking around for something in the energy sector (renewables/building services) at the moment after talking the summer off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

enda1 wrote:
    Thanks. Yeah thats what it stands for alright. Learning CATIAv5 at the moment. Then using their GPS and GAS modules to do some structural analysis. Concurrently I am studying the mathematics behind the finite element process. My mentor in work is a doctorate and was a lecturer in CAE and the finite element/volume method.

Will be moving onto fluent, nastran, etc. etc. when I get a useful understanding of the others.

At the moment we are doing a lot of supplier evaluation. Finding suitable companies to outsource some simulation and testing elements to, while attempting to expand our in house capabilities. Its pretty cool and interesting cause I am learning so much so quickly about so many different areas of the business.

Plus you get to see/drive/be driven in some kick-ass prototypes!!

Job's in Brussels.

Sounds cool. How you getting on with the language barrier, or are you decent at it?
    timmaay wrote:
    There aren't too many jobs going in the automotive sector, however one on my friends got a job with toyota , he's in belguim now but will be moved to the uk for a few months also. You wouldn't have much luck getting a job in automotive here, although Timoney tech. (offroad vehicles) who are based in meath were looking for a gradute a while back.

Yeah I've been looking and if I want to get into the automotives, it looks like a couple of years abroad is on the cards and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
    timmaay wrote:
    The energy and biomech sectors seem to be the best bet for a job at the moment, I'm looking around for something in the energy sector (renewables/building services) at the moment after talking the summer off.

Cool, best of luck with your search, do you know if any of the lads from your year have gotten jobs in Ireland yet?

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

hotnipples wrote:
    Cool, best of luck with your search, do you know if any of the lads from your year have gotten jobs in Ireland yet?

Yep, most of the people who looked for a job in Ireland seemed to get one, there are several companies such as dell, wyeth, element six, glanbia to name a few that people out of my class got jobs here with.

Giving a rough breakdown, I'd say out of our class of 60, about 15 have jobs here in ireland, another 10 are doing postgrads here. Then about 10 have jobs abroad, about 10 are doing 6 month placements/ postgrads abroad (there was a very good fas scheme going for 6month placement followed by a masters). The rest of us are either travelling abroad or not too bothered about a job at the moment.

Advertisement