Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging up curtain rail

Options
  • 02-10-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

Easy question I hope.
    I'm having some trouble hanging up a curtain rail. The problem seems to be the plasterboard, it keeps "crumbling" whenever I get a hole or rawlplug into it. I've tried using these types of rawlplug, but the plasterboard just won't hold them. I've also tried the regular plastic ones (not really meant for curtain rails, I know), and same problem.
    I'm not that savvy on all this, but have never had any problems like this before when putting up curtains in my own apt (which is much newer).
    Any ideas?
    I must also mention that there is very little room between the plasterboard and the outside wall, so one of these is not going to fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

The plugs you used are a nightmare and generaly cause more trouble than they are worth, same goes for plugs and screws that come with curtain poles, throw them out.
    Look for timber battons behind the plasterboard, if these are present use them. If not use red 6mm rawlplugs and 40mm screws minimum. try drilling 5.5 mm holes carefully (turn hammeraction off) avoid drilling at joints in slab. use no more nails on rawlplug and say a prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks! The timber is in the wrong place behind it unfortunately!
    Not very reassuring, but I will try your suggestion anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Are long screws into the block that the timbers are battened to a possibility?

ie. Put the screw through the plasterboards, through the cavity and into the block?

The timber is in the wrong place behind it unfortunately
    When will builders cop on and realise that houses need to be built strong enough to hold up curtains and blinds? Sounds like you could be depending on the last bit of my advice, the prayer. Though Mr mags idea is worth a try too. You will just have to figure out what works best for your walls or get in a professional.

Are long screws into the block that the timbers are battened to a possibility?

ie. Put the screw through the plasterboards, through the cavity and into the block?
    Ok, I guess I could try this. Any suggestions on how to try this? I guess I'd need to drill into the block first, and ould I need some kind of plug then too?

• Advertisement

Fjon. I'm begining to think that diy isn't your cup of tea. Stick to what you're good at and get someone in, otherwise you'll surely hit water or electricity or alarms.

Hehe, guess you're right, but I'm only putting up a curtain rail! I don't really want to have to fork out €50 to get someone to drill a few holes. I'll try to ask around to see if any of my friends know a bit more than me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

OP I feel for you--some of my walls have more holes in them after trying to even put up a heavy picture with plaster board walls.Its a right pain.

Best solution I found so far are spring toggles.

I know you say theres not much room between the plaster board and the outside wall but once you can get the toggle to open out in the gap then you`ll be sorted--even just 2-3 cm is enough to get them to open.Just drill into the outside wall enough so that the threaded piece of the toggle has enough depth to go into the wall and can be screwed tight or cut off the escess with a hacksaw before you put it through the hole.
    Heres a pic so you can get my meaning.

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/PLAST836.html

Advertisement