Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class Skippin'

• 02-10-2007 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭

Do many of you just don't go to class a lot or are all my mates wasters?

I've skipped loads already and now I'm out sick for two weeks... fooked!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I don't go to certain classes sometimes, if I know I'm not going to pay attention, or that I won't learn anything, then I won't bother going, as long as I'm not missing something too important.
    Things were not good for the attendance in my class last week though, the release of Halo 3 properly screwed up any chances of that! :D
    So, in conclusion, lots of people are wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

considering doin it right now :D will only be the 3rd class i missed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's only one class I don't go to and a lot of people don't seem to go to in my course. No attendance or anything taken. Bit of a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's because the lecturers don't really care if you mess up your own education (like I did) -- this isn't school anymore!
    So, unless you like taking out a lovely loan & wasting another year -- go to your classes, get some sleep, do your work.

Sure it's only 3-4 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Can't skip classes - won't be allowed on placement unless our attendance is above 90%.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    That's because the lecturers don't really care if you mess up your own education (like I did) -- this isn't school anymore!
    So, unless you like taking out a lovely loan & wasting another year -- go to your classes, get some sleep, do your work.

Sure it's only 3-4 years!

:D i ended up goin to the class anyway only to get up having to do a group task with 2 erasmus students that hadn't got a word of english, was a fair waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus, think my attendance was something in the region of 65% for the whole of my degree. Still graduated with an Honours degree and a distinction in my dissertation. Hate to think what I could have got if I actually went to class.

Jaysus, think my attendance was something in the region of 65% for the whole of my degree. Still graduated with an Honours degree and a distinction in my dissertation. Hate to think what I could have got if I actually went to class.

my attendance in first and second year was pretty poor but i still passed with a pretty high average, I've only missed 2 classes so far in 3rd year and i find it to be a bit much and not really motivated for it so far, so in conclusion missing some classes is a good thing :D

As soon as that common room opens there'll be a hell of a lot of class skipping.

That_Guy wrote:
    As soon as that common room opens there'll be a hell of a lot of class skipping.

what common room is that?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've heard nothing about a common room!!
    Back on topic, my lecturer is actually skipping class at the moment. And I got out of bed specislly to come to this class... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Yeah what common room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Splat75

Where Gerry's Diner/MPC Canteen used to be is being turned into a common room. No idea what's going to be in it or when it's going to be open

sounds like someone stole my groups interpersonal communications idea

We were told on our first day that it would include sofas, pool tables and tv's etc.

That_Guy wrote:
    We were told on our first day that it would include sofas, pool tables and tv's etc.

yeh we came up with that idea as part of our group project in first year and went to the student union and head of socities and the budget guys and everything, we worked out the budget, the layout, we done a survey of what people wanted most etc...

sounds like they were using us for cheap designers :D

Well in fairness it is DKIT after all. You only have to look inside the Caroll's building to see how poor we are.. heh.

it's a geat idea though and should have been done long ago as long as it isnt too small and is always hogged my socities or the same people or something

We were told it would be open by the end of this year so hopefully it'll work out. I agree with you that it should have been done a long time ago. When I came to the open day last year when I was in sixth year there was nothing which really stood out for me as a form of relaxation. Yeah sure there's always the bar but let's face it, there has to be something better to do than just drink to relax.

Well you don't have to drink in the bar to relax! :P
    I agree with you though, all you can do there is drink, shout and play pool...

• Advertisement

the bar does be grand when its quiet, i used to go for a pint after dinner when i lived up here and it was grand and relaxing so it was but on a thursday with a band you might as well forget about relaxing, the end of the year?? it'll be too late for me then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

There were 18 people in out of about 60 today during last class at 2-3pm :p (1st year computing)

I guess lots of people don't do friday afternoons :) Mind you, we did feck all and got out at about 2.40 :rolleyes:

Yeah i was told the common room would be ready by the end of the year... pool tables, couches... just a chill out place.

Haven't seen anyone working on it though.. ever...

I skipped Andrews class because I wasn't feeling too good, I don't want to get into the habit of doing it tho.
    18 out of 60ish is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

annex wrote:
    I skipped Andrews class because I wasn't feeling too good, I don't want to get into the habit of doing it though.
    18 out of 60ish is bad tho.

yeah, you didn't miss much.. he was just going back over the notes.. one of the lads had a hangover and slept through it all :p

hopefully that timetable will have changed on Monday :D

I would be surprised if it did change, but then again if people continue to skip the class maybe they will juggle the timetable a bit.

Sounds a bit like Communications Practice to me. There's supposed to be about 40 of us attending but it's mostly only ever 5 people that show up. We have the most unorganised lecturer and we are always let out half an hour early because he has nothing else to talk about.

That_Guy wrote:
    Sounds a bit like Communications Practice to me. There's supposed to be about 40 of us attending but it's mostly only ever 5 people that show up. We have the most unorganised lecturer and we are always let out half an hour early because he has nothing else to talk about.

The problem with the Computer Architecture class is most of us (except for Q Dog) can't make head nor tail of it so that's one reason why people are going to skip it. At least we can have a laugh with the lecturer, some are too serious and should lighten up a bit :D
    It seems that most people have at least one lecturer that is, well absolutly useless, sorry I don't now how else to put it so I may as well be honest.

It's true though. I mean we pay a lot for our registration fee and you'd think the lecturers would make some sort of effort for the money we're paying to be educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

During my time in DKIT I can safely say I attended less than 20% of my classes. I dropped out after first year though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Friendly reminder: don't start bad-mouthing lecturers in public, it happened last year & they were NOT happy.

And by public, I include boards.ie

Advertisement