Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa 2008

• 02-10-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that the new Fifa 08 is really really slow?

I only bought the game yesterday and so far I have found that:
    • The passing is great.
    • Shooting seems good also.
    • Movement is good.
    • Speed of the gameplay is very slow.

I have had and played every Fifa since the 1st one in '94 which was Fifa International..
    I also think Fifa 06+07 were absolute crap and that's why I moved on to PES6 on the 360 (great game, awful graphics).

Why in god's name cannot you not change the speed.. ?
    I'm a software developer and I can only imagine how much testing goes into every EA game. How the **** can they release a game like this?

Am I on my own here... ?

PS:
    Please don't turn this into a PES -v- Fifa debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

nope you're not at all, it is quite slow i agree, compared to its counterpart on the ps2 which is very fast (and has the option of changing the speed), its my big gripe with the game but have been reading in other places that people quite like it. I feel it curtails it to a certain extent and takes away from its pick up and play qualities. and on another note i'm finding it a very difficult game despite what other people are saying (but then again my style entails trying to scoring long range screamers!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hey there , yep got to agree I think it is pretty slow and I too am finding it a difficult enough game to get to grips with ... amateur is too easy - pro is too hard so Im on Semi Pro and win some lose some.... I guess you really have to get into the advanced controls to really get to know the game...

When I say adnavced I mean using the in game tactics (OT,DA,TP,OW...teh D pad controls). Also I find taking players on one on one hard aswell as it seems my timing is off when I try use the right stick and right trigger combo moves...

That said its really enjoyable havent go on line yet cause im still pretty crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

i think its fine but thats just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I have to say, the best thing about this game is the Pro camera. Its soo good to be able to practice tricks in the arena, and then try them out easily in-game, without having to do advanced quantum physics in your head trying to figure out "Well, if its 360 degrees left in the arena, and now Im facing this way, and the wind is blowing east to west, and there's gulls on the pitch, that means, by the law of natural physics... etc..."

Also, the animations are a lot smoother, like the light effects on the players shirts, seems to be much better than last years.

Passing infuriates me though, always intercepted, particularly by Barca. Conspiracy theories are mounting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I like it, it's far more rewarding having to play like real life football and getting a move going. For example in Pro Evo you smack it to like 3 players in 3 seconds and clean through and that's not real football.

instead of looking for a forward pass all the time, play the ball back, one two's etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Have to say I'm very suprised at how much I like this game, at first I was very sceptical because of the rubbish previous releases over the last 5 or 6 years, but this one has me hooked.

It's very slow and simulated at times and you really do have to slow the pace of the game down to keep getting results but I guess its quite realistic in that way. Thats not to say you can't break away with a lightning counter attack, I've done several with Man Utd and it's really rewarding when you pull it off.

Passing is a bit sloppy at time's, I find it best when it's set to semi-assisted and I'm hopeless at defending crosses into the box, can't get the header timing right, but it'll come I guess.

I love the Tyler/Gray commentary, it makes it very authentic and the sheer amount of fully licensed teams is madness, so much choice.

Visually its the sexiest thing I've ever seen when played on a HD screen, it pisses on Pro Evo, although I still prefer the Pro gameplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

FIFA vs PES has always been my own personal debate around this time of the year for the past few years. While I always enjoy PES I found FIFA were improving very slowly and always lacking that punch. However FIFA 2008 has stepped up to the plate and delivered for me. The pace is spot on because you have to think of how you're going to build up play and try and attack. Also this year we have a lot of league to mess around with unlike being raped by EA last year with the poor offering of 6 leagues.

This will give the game a good run for its money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i absolutely bloody hated this at first, but im starting to think its great

last time i speak too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

kensutz wrote:
    FIFA vs PES has always been my own personal debate around this time of the year for the past few years. While I always enjoy PES I found FIFA were improving very slowly and always lacking that punch. However FIFA 2008 has stepped up to the plate and delivered for me. The pace is spot on because you have to think of how you're going to build up play and try and attack. Also this year we have a lot of league to mess around with unlike being raped by EA last year with the poor offering of 6 leagues.

This will give the game a good run for its money.

Agreed, I think its a good thing that I'll have the choice of two quality footie games to play over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Helix wrote: »
    i absolutely bloody hated this at first, but im starting to think its great

last time i speak too soon

I hate to say this, but I'm really not liking this game - after playing it for a good few hours yesterday. The computer controlled players on your team don't seem to move towards the ball to anticipate a pass, a goal kick, etc. This means that the computer controlled opposition always seems to pick up the ball in acres of space.

Also, it feels like you're fighting with the controls to get your players to do anything - it doesn't seem to flow.

I'm glad I only spent the tenner to rent this from Xtra-Vision and didn't pay €60-odd for it.

I'll try to stick with it and hope it gets better, but I feel I'll be glad to give it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

anybody wanna play online? dont be expecting much i only got it yesterday

The computer controlled players on your team don't seem to move towards the ball to anticipate a pass, a goal kick, etc.
    Use the 'B' button to double-team opponents.. Also, its about what you do with human-controlled players too, dont dive in, just anticipate where you think opposition will go..
    I'll try to stick with it and hope it gets better, but I feel I'll be glad to give it back.
    Sorry to hear that mate, but I urge you to actually look at the manual too, there is SOOO much to this game that I didnt know. Like free kicks. Holding LB and pushing into 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock with RS will give you superb low-trajectory screamers.. Didnt know that before I read the manual.. I scored one from about 40 yards the other day with David Villa..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I found that changing the camera angle to dynamic greatly improves the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I may give that a go ... I have the game for another few days. Might as well try to get my moneys worth for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

neacy69 wrote: »
    I found that changing the camera angle to dynamic greatly improves the game

I find that in the dynamic views I dont see far enough and often miss my passes or dont run in to space as much.
    I'm useless for looking at the radar

anybody wanna play online? dont be expecting much i only got it yesterday

Add us there

Alan386

I haven't played it in like a week so might be a bit rusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Unearthly wrote: »
    Add us there

Alan386

I haven't played it in like a week so might be a bit rusty

il add you now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ok i have a few gripes with the game

- Unbearably slow sometimes

- Play can seem very scrappy

- What happened to all the camera angles they used to have?

- It seems to easy for opposition defenders to just pick the ball off an attacker

- The opposition take really shít shots and they go in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im loving fifa 08 so much right now that its almost sinful

hated it for all the reasons people have said in the thread so far, but once you really get into it its phenomenally realistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Ive been playing this a bit , in my third season on semi pro - still havent won the premiership , I may just be the ****est fifa player ever:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Update last night, now has 5v5 online.

I was in a rush so didn't get to play it, anyone have a go?

brav wrote: »
    Update last night, now has 5v5 online.

I was in a rush so didn't get to play it, anyone have a go?

Nice

Gonna give that a go later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've been playing 5v5 all afternoon, its great fun.

No lag or slowdown whatsoever.

Man this game rocks!! 5v5 is the best feature I've EVER seen in a game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

i traded in my copy, as the be a pro was the only good thing about it
    ill be picking up a second hand copy soon enough now that its online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Yeah this game is really growing on me. Graphics, Commentary, Passing, Shooting and general game-play is so much superior to Pro Evo 08.

Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have scored some cracking goals but can't save them as I'm not connected to live. That's crap..was hoping I'd be able to save them and upload them later on.
    My funniest score was where James Milner takes a long shot from the right flank from about 30 yards out..Mike Owen is in the box at the left corner and I can see the ball is going miles wide...as old mikey strolls across the goals (the way play kinda stops when the ai knows the ball is going wide) the ball hits him in the chest and deflects into the net..laughed my arse off at that one...Owen didn't even celebrate..just had this retarded look on his face as if wondering to himself ..wtf??
    Funnily enough Milner scored my best goal..a Tony Yeboah effort against liverpool where he volleyed and the ball hit the crossbar before going in..real screamer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Almost pains me to say this but I am enjoying Fifa 08 far more than PES 08. There are still things about Fifa I don't like but overall its a good game a quite realistic.

After SO many bad Fifa games I really had given up hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 oBEAVISo

Anyone interested in playing in some footie leagues.

For anyone interested we have some leagues starting up

2 being PRO EVO 2008 and FIFA 08

With enough interest we can turn these into great leagues with promotion and relegation etc

Season 1 -Division 1 - Pro Evo is now at sign up stage and can be found by CLICKING HERE

Division 1 of FIFA 08 has already kicked off so we are now taking sign ups for Division 2 by CLICKING HERE

So come on over guys and get your name down.

Bet my Aston Villa boys will bash ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

How many times have you got to spam your site?

Advertisement