Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of lock for external doors

Options
  • 02-10-2007 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

I've gotten my front and back doors both made from solid wood. I now want to hang them and put locks on them. Does it make a difference what type of lock I should use? I was told by one person that I should use a 3 point lock as it will close the door tightly and prevent warping, but normal hardware shops don't sell these and they are very awkward to fit. Anyone got any experience\opinions on this?

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Noviceman, I've moved this to DIY as you'll get a better response there.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Get a 3 point lock and a cylinder lock. A peep hole and mabe a chain (Optional)

The 3 point is a pain on its own as you have to use the key to get in and out. + If you leave the key in the door then you cannot open from the other side.

The Cylinder lock will give you the the option of leaving the 3point unlocked in the day and just using the cylinder lock/latch

At night you can lock both the 3 point and deadlock the Cylinder.

Here's a cylinder lock type

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Yale-Front-Door-Security-Cylinder-Lock-and-6-keys_W0QQitemZ170152360365QQihZ007QQcategoryZ98855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

Garyh, thks, i was thinking of getting that cylinder type lock and a handle, I would then leave the the cylinder type lock open during day and use the handle. My question really is do I need the three point lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Noviceman wrote:
    Garyh, thks, i was thinking of getting that cylinder type lock and a handle, I would then leave the the cylinder type lock open during day and use the handle. My question really is do I need the three point lock?

I'd say yes, if you dont will someone be able to enter your house and walk out the frount door?
    at least make them bring your TV out a window , it would slow them down and make people take notice of them??
    I Hope I have the situation correct.
    If that is the case then I'd pop a chubb lock on, plus it will be harder to pick/pop.

ye're missing the point here guys, obviously i'm not going to leave any doors open......

my query has nothing to do with security but rather the fact that I have a wooden door and someone mentioned that i needed a 3 point lock to prevent warping and wondered if anyone knew anything about this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry about that Noviceman, I dont know about warping doors, but along another line is it part of your house insurance deal that you have one on all external doors

good point, will make sure it does

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Noviceman

I would say yes get a 3 or even a 5 point locking as this would eliminate a single point of failure. Its much harder to force in a door with a multi point lock than a single point lock.

I have both and use the multi just at night, holidays etc.

regards

Garyh3

Advertisement