Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS in other European countries

• 02-10-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to few European countries at the end of this month. I am thinking of bringing with me my Nokia 770 with a bluetooth GPS unit together downloaded google maps on the device.

I'm just wondering will there be any GPS service available in these countries particularly Czech, Austria and Hungary. Also, any usage restriction of GPS units there in term of legal restriction, etc?

Any helpful comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Of course. GPS signals are broadcasted from satellites orbiting earth. They are not a 'local' service. Also, they receive information, they do not transmit information. Read this for an explanation of how GPS receivers work.

What you may not be able to get is decent mapping, depending on where you're going. However, a quick browse of Google Maps will solve that one for ya.. Don't forget to bring a travel adapter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mart_max wrote:
    Hi all,

I'll be travelling to few European countries at the end of this month. I am thinking of bringing with me my Nokia 770 with a bluetooth GPS unit together downloaded google maps on the device.

I'm just wondering will there be any GPS service available in these countries particularly Czech, Austria and Hungary. Also, any usage restriction of GPS units there in term of legal restriction, etc?

Any helpful comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marty

I know from personal experience that both Czech Republic and Austria have at least 99% map coverage re both Teleatlas and Navteq. Never went to Hungary. The Czech Republic (and Slovakia) has also got a very accurate homegrown PC based gps enabled map - Infomapa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Thanks guys for the very useful info.

I'll be using Maemo Mapper on Nokia 770, will get a bluetooth GPS receiver unit. My preliminary finding shows that Google Maps is quiet detailed (includes satellite view and street names) for the main cities/towns in those three countries. I will be downloading those maps to the Nokia before I leave the country. :D

Cheers,
    Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a Nokia too. that could be a hell of a lot of maps.
    Maybe you should buy a couple of memory cards, and put different countries on different cards? Just an idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i'd probably just download the maps for the three city centres, should fit in the 1GB memory card - hopefully! i might not be using the GPS receiver after all as it has only a car charger and mini USB interface - i won't be driving and bringing a laptop. no way i could think of how to charge the GPS receiver.

Marty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Does it charge via the usb connector?

If so then get yourself one of these.

Advertisement