Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birmingham and SPX

Options
  • 02-10-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

So the next cons coming up are Birmingham and SPX, annoyingly both on the same weekend, October 12th - 14th.

I know theres a bunch of people off boards planning to hit Birmingham so lets have shout out from them and if your are selling and know your table number let poeople know so they can find you. I couldn't find an exhibitor list or table plan on the website so if anyone has a link to it please post it.

I think I'm prob the only one heading off to SPX as its further away but if anyone is heading to the east coast and the DC area, I shall be at table F-13 sharing space with the Love Bound Train and Slackers Inc [and right next to Becky Cloonan's table Shades] Floor plan and exhibitor list are up on the website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

BECKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any possible goodies you could pick up for me would be received with love and admiration! (and of course the return of whatever cash it cost lol) Or we can just kidnap her and get her here for some kind of event... 24hr Comic Day perhaps? lol

She's my dream lady...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Yeah I'm going, will be sitting with Shalvey's crowd so that'll be Moonface Press I believe. Should be a messy, sloppy and career shatterring trip for all involved.Will Sliney and Mooney are going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Hey shades course i'll pick stuff up for you. do you want me to get you a copy of that print you wanted to steal from my house? If theres anyone else on the exhibitor list you'd like stuff from email me and I'll see what I can do.

Hey Bob will you have any Mr. Amperduke preveiws ready for Birmingham?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Prints, comics, her hands, her boyfriend grab me anything you can find :D

Will think about any others and be in touch if my brain comes up with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Oh man, Mignola and Fegredo are turning up at Birmingham... How I wish I could fly sometimes. Isn't that Rufus Dayglo fellow from the North?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 almaocarroll

:D hey hey I'll be at Birmingham promoting my preview issue of Redemption's Fire-I'd love to chat with an artists attending!I have a table somewhere-but not sure where yet!see y'all sat!!:p ;):o:D :cool:

hey Peeps how did everyone get on at Birmingham? Bombidol did you get to stalk Mike Mignola around the place?

SPX was an amazing show, I'll write up some sort of report or at least some comments on the suitcase o' comics I got when I'm home but one of the highlights was getting to chat one on one with Jeff Smith for ages while we munched on yummy ice-cream cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Couldnt go in the end was pissed off as hell. I'm up to my ears with work for getting issue 1 of 11 Commandments out.

just saw Liz Baillie already has her SPX report up which has links to videos from the saturday after party

I heard mignola wasnt doing signings or sketches or anything either. just the talk then he was gone.

• Advertisement

bombidol wrote: »
    I heard mignola wasnt doing signings or sketches or anything either. just the talk then he was gone.

man that sucks - I meet him at MoCCA three years ago and he was super nice and chatty. I can't remember if he was doing a panel or not, but he was walking around the floor most of the day and he called to our table to talk to Peter Kuper, who was my boss at the time, and I got to talk to him for a bit.

He might have had to rush for a plane or something at Birmingham.

Maybe, I was told that before the con though. that he was only in the for the talk then gone. I assume hes over doing something for the hellboy movie and just done the con for an hour or so before splitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

I went to Birmingham and it was silly. Crazy pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chebbo

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to send out a huge thank you to all those who attended the show. Thanks to you it was a huge success.

We hope you had a great time.

Just to put the record straight:

Mike Mignola was flown out exclusively by us for the show. He attended the whole weekend and also made a brief appearance at our launch party.

He signed books and artwork all weekend, and I believe he "doodled for free".

We are very greatful to Mike and all of our other guests for helping to make this year's BICS a weekend to remember.

all the best

Chebbo

chebbo wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wanted to send out a huge thank you to all those who attended the show. Thanks to you it was a huge success.

We hope you had a great time.

Just to put the record straight:

Mike Mignola was flown out exclusively by us for the show. He attended the whole weekend and also made a brief appearance at our launch party.

He signed books and artwork all weekend, and I believe he "doodled for free".

We are very greatful to Mike and all of our other guests for helping to make this year's BICS a weekend to remember.

all the best

Chebbo

Cheers for that Chebbo, thought it sounded a little odd cus last time I meet Mignola he was super nice and willing to doodle for anyone who asked. Also glad you had a good con, hopfully next years won't clash with SPX again and I can attend.

Excellent to hear, I'm sickened I missed it!

Back to SPX for a minute the very talented Matthew Reidsma just posted these little floating heads of all the cartoonists he meet at SPX......want to know what he thinks I look like, look at the second last line.

2007-10-13.jpg

Everyone should check out Matthew's daily comic strip High Maintenance Machine and follow his code of "drawing comics everyday", its a good philosophy to live by

Next years show has been moved so as not to clash with other shows overseas.

The dates for Birmingham 2008 are 4th and 5th October at the Think Tank once again, but this time with even more space booked!!

Hopefully see you all there.

Chebbo

The dates for Birmingham 2008 are 4th and 5th October at the Think Tank once again, but this time with even more space booked!!

Coolio thanks for the info, no dates for SPX or Stumptown yet and with APE moving to November they may move earlier but hopfully nothing will end up clashing - tis becoming a busy period.

Hopefully see you all there.

Chebbo

Dang dates for SPX have just been annouced and its clash time again - October 4th and 5th.

• Advertisement

Yeah... I can't beleive they moved their dates too!!! :(

We tried really hard not to clash with anyone this year. I don't think I'll bother second guessing any more. I think we'll just stick with the first weekend in October. If other events insist on clashing theres nothing we can do, although I'm sure in this case it's just rotten luck and no intended clash. However, it is a shame as we have a huge indy and small press presence at BICS that many SPX visitors would also enjoy.

Fingers crossed for next year.

Chebbo

Yeah... I can't beleive they moved their dates too!!! :(

We tried really hard not to clash with anyone this year. I don't think I'll bother second guessing any more. I think we'll just stick with the first weekend in October. If other events insist on clashing theres nothing we can do, although I'm sure in this case it's just rotten luck and no intended clash. However, it is a shame as we have a huge indy and small press presence at BICS that many SPX visitors would also enjoy.

Fingers crossed for next year.

Chebbo

SPX has always been very floaty date wise - its been as early as September and as late as November. I thought it would be later this year but APE of course have moved to november which has pushed everything else back and stumptown moved from october to april. Hopefully next year it will be more balanced.

Advertisement