Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a Dog?

Options
  • 02-10-2007 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I've to move from where i'm living at the minute to Cork City. Only problem is I've got a dog. Does anyone know what the story is with renting a place with a dog? She's fully house trained and really friendly...but i think its going to be really hard to find somewhere!
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Azlan

Hi Georgina,

I moved to Dublin last year with 2 small dogs and had the same worries - everyone told me it would be v difficult but I had no problems finding places that were willing to let me have pets. Check out Daft for places to rent. Only a couple of the places I enquired about said no pets

Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

It can be hard to find a place when you've dogs or cats - some landlords are fine about smaller dogs, esp. if it's a house you're going to rent which has a garden, some will run a mile when you mention animals as all they hear is "walking poo machine".
    I would say try to find a house to rent as opposed to an apartment, as some apartment blocks have strict no animals policies for all units, and if you can have a friendly chat to the landlord and assure him/her that your dog is housetrained and emphasise your dog is older (ie not prone to chewing on furniture or anything) and assuage any (unfounded!) fears they may have about a dog ruining their property. After all children can sometimes wreak far more havoc on a house than a dog!
    We have both dogs and cats and have never had a problem finding houses to rent once we explain to the landlord they are well trained and well looked after (ie they are kept clean/wormed/entertained and don't bark all day long to annoy the neighbours) and you'll find some landlords are fine. From what I can remember of various lease agreements we've signed in the past, generic ones tend to have a clause stating "no pets/animals unless agreed upon with the landlord" so check with the landlord if they will agree to you having a dog as if they find out later, they might have grounds to ask you to leave. Good luck!

Advertisement