Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - New external Hard Drive - Error message: "Windows has stopped working" Help!!

• 02-10-2007 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Windows Vista Home Basic (Dell Inspiron 1501, 1GB RAM, Dual processor) and I recently bought a 500gb external hard drive from www.envizage.com

At first I was able to put files onto the external hard-drive. However, since then, whenever I attempt to access the external hard-drive, once the folder has opened I immediately get the error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and then "Windows Explorer is restarting."

I've contacted the company and they are being fairly useless with their assistance in fairness.

I formatted the external hard drive as per the company's instructions but i still have the same problem.

The hard drive works on my friend's Windows XP system. Also, I was able to copy the files from it onto my laptop by right-clicking the drive in My Computer and clicking copy and then pasting it onto my desktop.

Can anyone help me with this?
    There's no Vista Service Pack available until 2008 as far as I'm aware and my Windows Update program updates on a regular basis, most recently just today.

What else could be wrong? It's driving me mad after spending €150 on it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make sure vista is patched to date, files of a few hundred mb or over are painfully slow in vista as it was shipped

make bloody sure you shutdown the pc or use safely remove drive or eject in vista, unplugging it on the fly is asking for it as it's bound to be in the middle of something

on XP you can disable write caching on external drivers , microsoft don't call it that anymore and I cba looking up what it's called in Vista, right click on the drive and check it's properties , turn off system restore and indexing and all that stuff on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

How do i make sure my vista is patched to date?

Advertisement