Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

floating shelves

Options
  • 02-10-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey.
    Does anyone know where I can get floating shelves similar to:
    http://tinyurl.com/yw46mw

Having a hard time finding them in shops.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I got some in B&Q a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i got walnut coloured ones exactly like those in woodies. there about 30 euro and come with a paper template for drilling.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

argos, have them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

Thanks for the replies.
    I had tried woodies recently but didn't find them. Did you get them from argos irishbird and if so are they alright quality? I was looking to sit an lcd on one so need them to be fairly sturdy.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I got some in Argos. They were doing them half price so I got a good deal on 3 of them. They don't hold much weight though. I saw other ones in Atlantic homecare for about €40 each. Was too pricey for me but it should state the load it can hold on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

miles teg wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I had tried woodies recently but didn't find them. Did you get them from argos irishbird and if so are they alright quality? I was looking to sit an lcd on one so need them to be fairly sturdy.

cheers
    Why would you sit an LCD on one? Would you not be better off getting a proper bracket for it?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Why would you sit an LCD on one? Would you not be better off getting a proper bracket for it?

A floating shelf would look better in the room I have the lcd. Vogels make a nice looking one specifically for flatscreens(http://tinyurl.com/ytdzaq) but the depth dimensions don't suit my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi miles

a normal floating shelf would not support any large LCD, 20" or smaller would be about the limit I recon. If you have an LCD then I would suggest a wall bracket.

If you are going down the floating shelf then use big screws or expanding bolts and drill into the brick...

regards

Garyh3

garyh3 wrote:
    Hi miles

a normal floating shelf would not support any large LCD, 20" or smaller would be about the limit I recon. If you have an LCD then I would suggest a wall bracket.

If you are going down the floating shelf then use big screws or expanding bolts and drill into the brick...

regards

Garyh3

I have no intention of letting my lovely new flatscreen come to any harm :) but I've seen lcds on floating shelves before with no problem (drilled into brick wall of course). Thanks for the heads up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

miles teg wrote:
    I have no intention of letting my lovely new flatscreen come to any harm :) but I've seen lcds on floating shelves before with no problem (drilled into brick wall of course).
    I agree, people often underestimate just how much of a load a shelve/bracket that is "properly" fixed can hold.

I've seen the shelves that you're looking for in Argos also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

You could make it up yourself and if you needed extra strong use steel frame bolted to the wall.

Use an old hollow door cut as the shelf - mount a frame with extending steel or wooden arms the same thickness as the hollow section of the door to the wall.

Works well, mind you although it appears cheaper when you count your effort cutting, chopping, painting and sanding you wonder.. but I guess thats what DIY is about...

Advertisement