Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microchipping?

Options
  • 02-10-2007 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

is Microchipping your dog expensive? I am thinking of getting mine done as it is a pure bred springer, and there have been a few cases of pure bred hunting dogs being stolen around here. so any advice would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

In the US it runs about $125. We had our Scotties chipped when they were in getting fixed. It is quite painful for the dog so better doing it while the dogs were under general anaethesia anyway.

Also, if a dog is found, do they routinely check for microchips? Not everywhere has a chip reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think it costs around 30-40 euro but worth it. Never heard of a dog having to be put under general anaethesia, sure its just like an injection almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

OP is your dog not registered with the IKC because they have to be micro chipped for registration.Might be done already.

Our pup was bought in NI and regged with British KC,we had to get it done to reg with IKC it cost €45.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 georgina

I got my dog chipped at the bakers dogs day out in the RDS for 5 euro. The just inject the chip with a gun thingy, kinda like getting your ear pierced! Doesnt seem to hurt too much!

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shop around for it. I've heard pricing ranging from €25-€45

I can't remember what our's cost, but dammit did it hurt the poor little mite.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Its cost me €45 quid and took about 30 seconds. No pain involved as far as i could tell, she didnt even flinch. Denitely no reason for general anastetic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

maybe it hurts if your dog is soft and doesnt if he's tough lol

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

It's really a good idea, imagine how you would feel if the dog did go missing, you would kick yourself. Its a tiny sting, some dogs will cry, particularly puppies, but its over in two seconds, and stops hurting immediately. No maintenance, nothing, only a one-off injection, and its sorted for life. My dogs hardly flinched when they had theirs, not a sound. Forty euro in my local vets. Just because your dog is a pedigree isn't the only reason you should have it chipped, mongrels and crossbreeds are just as likely to go missing, through wandering etc, every dog should be chipped, I haven't yet heard a valid excuse not to, particularly when the DSPCA is offering it for next to nothing. I also would think it highly unlikely that any vet or rescue worth its salt would be without a scanner at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

it will also reduce your premium if the dog is insured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Only for the first year. A lot of vets do a reduce price if you are getting something else done. A lot of people get it done at booster time... ANd don't forget your cats, microchipping them is also a wonderful idea. We have reunited a lot of pets and opwners down to chipping. Personally i don't think the cost matters so muc. The piece of mind is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Got both of mine done, think it was around €30. The whippety boy screamed the vets down, and terrified everyone in the waiting room I think (not to mind me, I was almost crying) but he's a bit wimpy anyway :D He's got no flesh on his neck to speak of which didnt help I suppose.
    Got the other fellow done when he was being neutered.... easier when they're already under anaesthetic but its not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

OP is your dog not registered with the IKC because they have to be micro chipped for registration.Might be done already.

Our pup was bought in NI and regged with British KC,we had to get it done to reg with IKC it cost €45.

The IKC only made chiping compulsory as of 1st Jan 2006. As of that date all pups have to be chipped.

OP- Bring him to Tesco Finglas Clearwater tomorrow and get him done for a fiver!

http://www.dspca.ie/news_item.php?number=413&type=News&archive=No

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

See this link also:

http://ikc-animark.ie/

It's a partnership between animark (the very first microchipping database set up back in 1989 by a vet) and the irish kennel club. It gives details of locations etc.

Microchipping done correctly should be pain free, its simply injecting the dog/cat in scruff of neck / shoulder area. The chip itself is tiny.

Once your pet is microchipped, and if it is lost and turns up in a pound, vet practise etc, it can be scanned and all contact details of the owner will show up and they can be contacted then.

Contrary to a belief someone had recently, the pet cannot be tracked down via satellite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I just worry about getting my cat done because there doesn't seem to be one complete database. Animark are endorsed by the IKC whereas Fido.ie are supported by Allianz Pet Insurance. I only had a quick look at the Fido site, I don't know if you can register with both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

TKD SC wrote:
    See this link also:

Microchipping done correctly should be pain free, its simply injecting the dog/cat in scruff of neck / shoulder area. The chip itself is tiny.
    !

Pardon me, and with respect, that is just wrong. The chip its self is small but the needle is quite large and no matter how gentle you are it is gonna hurt a little bit. Also white haired dogs, bichon/westie etc have a tendency to bleed a tiny bit after.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

jules80 wrote:
    Pardon me, and with respect, that is just wrong. The chip its self is small but the needle is quite large and no matter how gentle you are it is gonna hurt a little bit. Also white haired dogs, bichon/westie etc have a tendency to bleed a tiny bit after.

Hi,
    I'm just going on personal experience of our dog and cat (many years ago, both of whom have sadly passed away) and a couple of a few other dogs I saw being done. Our dog was a big german shepherd though so dont think he felt much, compared to say a westie! The needle is at the end of a larger blue rectangle box thingy, but needle itself really isnt that big. Most dogs / cats have a bit of fat in neck area (where you pick up a cat for eg.) so really shouldnt hurt them much.

Either way, its nothing major. Just like humans giving blood - it hurts some people, others dont feel a thing! The benefit of the microchipping far far far outweighs any pain / slight uncomfort that the dog or cat might feel temporarily, so I dont think it should even arise as an issue for any responsible owner. Just give the dog / cat a big hug afterwards!!! :)

Nala, re: database, as far as I know, the Animark one is the largest in Ireland. It was the very first one here (as I said back in 1989) and the pound on southside anyway uses scanners that read animark chips.

Pity there wasnt just one database but it comes down to politics and money (the feck all that's in it!). But IKC is very reputable and is now linked in with animark, and a lot of vets around the country also.

Advertisement