Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wait till new year to buy a used car

Options
  • 02-10-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this.
    Will I save much if I wait till the new year to buy a used car .

Not going to trade in and not worried about sale of current car, I would be lucky to give it away :)

I asked a car salesman and he told me I would not save much however I would say they just wanted to get a sale.

Any ideas, looking at 05 or 06 cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

some car garages put their prices down before the new year to try keep the cars moving and not go with out any sales untill the newyear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

It prob wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, i'd say the big change is between the current year regs, i.e. a 07 would be worth less in Jan 08 as its lost the prestige of being the current year, but it would prob only slightly affect years below this, due to increase in supply of user cars etc. I'd say if you want a 05/06 car now you may as well buy now..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

if you wait till January 09 you'll get an 05/06 even cheaper! :rolleyes:

I cannot understand this attitude - my friend wouldn't buy a new car in May as it would be 1 year older in January ?

Yes but you'd have got to use it for the 6 months your stuck in your old car !

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

This is october, if waited till january and saved a grand or more it makes sense!!!

3 months in the old car wont kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

dealers don't drop the price of a car they are selling because the year rolled over I would think, as they try to rotate stock so that what they have now won't be the same stock they have in January.
    It would be March/April before they would consider it a year older - your more likely to get a bit off a car that has been with them a long time.

They will of course use it as a stick to beat you with on your trade in value (if you had one).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They'll probably give you a better deal on it now as not many buy cars this time of year, so they'll want to make good figures for the remainder of the year. In January everyone will think "Oh, cars are a year older, therefore cheaper" and the sales guys will capitalise on this rush to get a good deal.

Advertisement