Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapyards in Limerick

Options
  • 02-10-2007 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any? Looking for a second hand set of alloys, dont really wanna pay too much for them.

And no jokes about the whole of Limerick being a giant scrapyard ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Be careful what kind of car the alloys come off in a scrapyard :eek:

If its a crashed car - remember the strain the alloys are under at the time of impact. They can easily be damaged, kinked cracked etc. Often only 1 or 2 out of 4 are re-usable after a smash. You may not notice the problem until after you put them on your own car. :eek:

As for a scrapper - try Jack Moore Autobreaker in Ballysheedy.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, I'd be very careful buying used alloy wheels from a scrapyard. You don't know how they were damaged as most are taken off the car well before you get to see them. Damage to alloys may not always be visable to the naked eye too.

If your willing to travel to Tipperary, try this place for second hand alloy wheels: www.daltontyres.ie They take them as trade-ins against new ones. Might have something you like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd advise against buying 2nd hand wheels in exactly the same way as I would buying 2nd hand tyres, or brakes.

Your life depends on these parts not failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd advise against buying 2nd hand wheels in exactly the same way as I would buying 2nd hand tyres, or brakes.

Your life depends on these parts not failing.
    When you buy a second-hand car, you are buying second-hand wheels, tyres and brakes.

I'd be wary of buying wheels or tyres in a scrapyard though. Would definitely have to see them 'on the car'.

OP: isn't there someone in Limerick who can get s/h alloys for you? You just point out a car that has the 'type' of wheels you want, and - hey presto! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

esel wrote:
    When you buy a second-hand car, you are buying second-hand wheels, tyres and brakes.

Yes of course, but you should be able to get an idea of the kind of life they've lived, from the condition of the car itself, and it's service history.

• Advertisement
Advertisement