Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying for Database Jobs

Options
  • 02-10-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

So I working on a Service Desk as an Assistant Team Manager and looking to further my career a notch.

Does anyone have any experience in studying for database jobs off their own back - lost a lot of the Programming practice during my time in the company.

What should I be working on at the moment?

I have a couple of e-books and a software called Xammp - which is pretty cool, seems to emulate an Apache server incorporating MySQL, PHP and Perl - and I'm working away on the chapters, slowly but surely.

Do interviewers turn their noses up at people who do not have the college background (I have a Degee in Computing mind) or significant experience?

Any advice greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Do interviewers turn their noses up at people who do not have the college background (I have a Degee in Computing mind) or significant experience?
    Well, if you have a Degree in Computing, what exactly would you term a 'college background'?

I would steer clear of programming unless you completely loved it. It's been completely debased as a profession within IT over the past 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Well, if you have a Degree in Computing, what exactly would you term a 'college background'?

I suppose I mean that its been a while since I've done much Programming or database work and my biggest concern would be that the majority of what I have learned would not be fresh in my head...
    I would steer clear of programming unless you completely loved it. It's been completely debased as a profession within IT over the past 20 years.

This is the thing, I wasn't too keen going down the programming route but I do remember liking database programming when in college. To be honest I'm not sure what I want to do in the IT field and databases seemed like a good option.

What do you mean that it has been debased as a profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have a look over at the IT Cert forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882)

Currently quite a bit of work in Business Intelligence, data warehousing, data mining and the like.

Do you want to be an admin or a developer.

I would prefer to go in to development really.

Thanks for the replies though guys... will take a look at the IT Cert Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

on the MS platform there is a the Database Developer certification which is aimed at what you want to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What do you mean that it has been debased as a profession?
    Programming is not as good as a job as it was 10+ years ago.

On the whole, organisations have moved from bespoke software developed in-house to large scale ERP solutions. There aren't that many interesting pure-programming jobs about these days.

You also need to qualify what you mean by 'database programming'. Are you talking about pure server-side programming, such as Oracle's PL/SQL or SQL Server/Sybase T-SQL? Or are you talking about developing web-based applications?

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Not sure on this one. I like the idea of the the server side programming but I guess I would have to look into it a bit more.

Hopefully I can try and get knuckled down and put some work in. Picking a champions league week to start studying probably wasn't a good bet...

Advertisement