Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguards

Options
  • 02-10-2007 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

hey hey
    getting a new bike soon, bog-standard racer, and will be doing a fair bit of commuting on it. need to invest in a set of mudguards, thinking of this effort for the rear:
    polisportxc.jpg

mainly because they look cool!

are they any use, or should i go for the regular ones that go "snugly" around the wheel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

hey hey
    getting a new bike soon, bog-standard racer, and will be doing a fair bit of commuting on it. need to invest in a set of mudguards, thinking of this effort for the rear:
    polisportxc.jpg

mainly because they look cool!

are they any use, or should i go for the regular ones that go "snugly" around the wheel?

I use a similar product on my MTB, and they work just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It depends how wet you want to get. Those clip on mudguards will provide some degree of protection but you'll still get splashed on your lower legs (and on you back too if it's really wet).

If your frame can accommodate them you'd be much better off with full length mudguards like these.
    P35.jpg

If your frame doesn't have the braze-on or clearance for those you can get ones like these instead which do a pretty good job.
    tn_sksrbs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

thanks all. have been cycling without a mudguard of any sort for the last year or so, and so anything at all is welcome. so long as it gives a bit of protection, i'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I use the race blades myself (2nd one in Morgan's post) I find them very goo.
    I used to have the type you were thinking of that goes onto the seatpost,
    I found I got fairly wet with that type, the snug fit type are better in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Are either of those types easily removable?
    Morgan wrote:
    It depends how wet you want to get. Those clip on mudguards will provide some degree of protection but you'll still get splashed on your lower legs (and on you back too if it's really wet).

If your frame can accommodate them you'd be much better off with full length mudguards like these.
    P35.jpg

If your frame doesn't have the braze-on or clearance for those you can get ones like these instead which do a pretty good job.
    tn_sksrbs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

The top one really isn't much use i have one on my bike and although i'm sure it keeps some wet off me, I still need to change by bottoms by the time i get to where im going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Are either of those types easily removable?

The lower one (Race Blades) are very quick to fit and remove (you can use zip ties for a slightly more permanent attachment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Excellent; mudguards are all too rob-able.
    Morgan wrote:
    The lower one (Race Blades) are very quick to fit and remove (you can use zip ties for a slightly more permanent attachment).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can get close-fitting pull-off plastic mudguards; indeed this is what I have on my own bike. They work quite well but not as well as Morgan's #1 above. It is handy that they are easily removable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Morgan wrote:

They basically attach to your bike with elastic fasteners so you can take them on and off in seconds

• Advertisement
Advertisement