Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for the girlfriend

Options
  • 02-10-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to buy a bike for my girlfriend just for a commute for a couple of miles each day. Nothing snazzy required, essentially just a workhorse at minimum cost that will get her from a to b.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be the best place to purchase such a machine (dublin area)? I have been to MacDonalds on Camden Street which sell their most basic model at 199 and Halfords in Carrickmines who sell their's at 160. I have heard mixed reports about Halfords bikes, could anyone advise on this?

Many thanks for any help given.
    We're students so every penny counts, even the diff between 160 and 199!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dunnes Stores have cheap bikes, I think, in some branches. I'd steer clear of Halfords - if there's a problem they'll keep you running round for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Halfords' bad reputation seems to concern their service more than their bikes. I don't know about MacDonalds but I'd hazard a guess that the service on bikes at Dunnes is minimal to non-existent.

The Carrera range bikes stocked by Halfords seem to be okay. In short, if price is that much of an issue, I'd go with Halfords. Just avoid a model with features that can easily go wrong e.g. suspension.
    johnf&#225 wrote: »
    Hey,

I need to buy a bike for my girlfriend just for a commute for a couple of miles each day. Nothing snazzy required, essentially just a workhorse at minimum cost that will get her from a to b.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be the best place to purchase such a machine (dublin area)? I have been to MacDonalds on Camden Street which sell their most basic model at 199 and Halfords in Carrickmines who sell their's at 160. I have heard mixed reports about Halfords bikes, could anyone advise on this?

Many thanks for any help given.
    We're students so every penny counts, even the diff between 160 and 199!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Got a Raliegh girls bike, ally frame, dynamo lights and mudguards, ready for winter and in good working order, about 7 yeqrs old. Euro 100 if you want. Its out here in Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

MacDonalds on Camden Street are a decent shop with good service. Dunnes will have no service whatsoever. Halfords probably in between.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

What ever you do dont buy a bike in Dunnes, you wouldnt ask a bike mechanic to make you a deli roll............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Penny Farthing cycles (i think thats the name) are having a sale at the minute think i saw a mountain bike in the window for 175

if your around camden street it might be worth a drop in to them

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Bike for the girlfriend

...sounds like a fair swap, I have an old Raleigh Grifter lying around somewhere.
    Will you drop the missus around when you're collecting it? :D

(sorry - couldn't resist when I read the title)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Why not get something second-hand through Buy and Sell?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

second hand through adverts.ie should be a link at the top of the page
    put in a wanted ad

The average supermarket bike in the US travels about 70 miles between when it's made and dumped - avoid like the plague.

Advertisement