Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Radio DAB

• 02-10-2007 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know what stations are available via DAB and if so are they any good? Is it worth getting a digital radio receiver???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hello,
    This might be worth a read.

http://www.digitalradio.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm confused. How has Rusty Rhodes got his hands on a DAB Licence and there isn't one bit of info available on the BCI website about applying for a licence to broadcast on a digital platform??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lizara

Thanx Greenman! On that site you can listen to Dusty Rhodes stations stream live online. I'm not the biggest fan of eighties music (damn synths!!) bu I really like the "mocha" one.

I have no idea how you would go about gettin a license. I was thinking what was the point in gettin a digital radio if you get pretty much what is already on FM bu there seems to be just music (no programmes) on those two particluar independant digital stations which is very much welcomed by moi!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

There are the digital-only services from RTÉ as well... RTÉ Choice, 2XM and the rolling news and sports bulletins.

We are only a few weeks away from the possible launch of a service. (i.e. the end of this trial) It is expected that a permanent service will be announced almost immediately afterwards.

Radios to recommend? We'll I'm a Roberts fan, but the Pure Evokes are very good too. It depends what features you want really; you can get a receiver with just the radio, or you can go one that records. The best product out there I think is the PURE EVOKE-3, it got almost all the features I want (bar MW/LW) I would say that don't go for a walkman type radio, as battery life is shyte.

http://www.simplyradios.com/ are an online retailer, very good info to compare features and prices.

Cool. So you obviously have one yourself yeah? If so what stations do find yourself listening to most. On most digital receivers you can pick up FM too can't you? Do you find you would listen to the FM stations much...

I think I am def gona get one alright because apparently FM will be gone by like 2015. The price of digital radios will prob go up the further down the line 2...

• Advertisement

Phantom, 2XM and Lyric cover most bases for me. FM available on almost all DAB radios. I still listen to FM in the car :D

Bit of a myth regarding FM switch off. There is no plan to, yet. Personally, I can't see it happening here for 2015. Not a hope in hell. In Britain, maybe, but it depends how could TV analogue switch off is. As for pricing, DAB Radios won't get dearer. The more mass produced they are, the cheaper they are. We won't have the problem that early adopters in the UK had with DAB pricing.

Cool. Thanx a mil! Ye I reckon I'll get one anyway. I'll prob b listening to the mocha station (independant) It seems to b mainly about the music. I can't stand all the interruptions in mainstream radio!

Thanx again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

lizara wrote:
    Cool. Thanx a mil! Ye I reckon I'll get one anyway. I'll prob b listening to the mocha station (independant) It seems to b mainly about the music. I can't stand all the interruptions in mainstream radio!

Thanx again!!

The DAP stations seem to have commercial breaks now ...

Didn't they always have ads? I only started listening in the last week. I havent heard any of the other RTE stations. Do they hav ads? And do they stream online? Haven't actually got a digital radio yet...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

bbability wrote:
    I'm confused. How has Rusty Rhodes got his hands on a DAB Licence and there isn't one bit of info available on the BCI website about applying for a licence to broadcast on a digital platform??

It seems as though digital licences, both TV and radio-based seem to be on request only at the moment, possibly because the BCI haven't gotten their processes in order or their heads around the whole thing.

I think Channel 6 went to the BCI (and then to Ofcom), rather than waiting for a licence to be advertised.

It makes a bit of sense, I suppose, as the main reason stations have to wait for the BCI to make frequencies available on analogue is because it's so limited... there's plenty of space for Irish digital stations if anyone wants it, in theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

flogen wrote:
    It seems as though digital licences, both TV and radio-based seem to be on request only at the moment, possibly because the BCI haven't gotten their processes in order or their heads around the whole thing.

I think Channel 6 went to the BCI (and then to Ofcom), rather than waiting for a licence to be advertised.

It makes a bit of sense, I suppose, as the main reason stations have to wait for the BCI to make frequencies available on analogue is because it's so limited... there's plenty of space for Irish digital stations if anyone wants it, in theory.

they are called Digital Content licences and you just apply. They aren't advertised as such. Once you have one you then have to go and negotiate your carriage with the various platforms - cable, DTT, satellite etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BrianD wrote:
    they are called Digital Content licences and you just apply. They aren't advertised as such. Once you have one you then have to go and negotiate your carriage with the various platforms - cable, DTT, satellite etc.

Danke - figured it was something like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just reading this thread - really useful.

That list of current Irish DAB stations pretty much covers my needs too. I assume the program that goes out over DAB is the same as the FM version for say, Phantom or Newstalk? Is it that much clearer?

I listen to a portable/pocket radio a lot, and now am seriously thinking of making the upgrade.

Newstalk is still in mono, and at a lower bitrate than other stations on DAB. As for clearer, well, thats where the debate rages between DAB enthusiasts and DAB baiters.

Personally (and with full Kevlar jacket on) the lay person won't notice it too much, but stations that play classical music (such as Lyric) need to be at high bitrates as it is more noticeable on those stations. DAB was sold in the past as "CD Quality", its not, that tag was long dropped by the BBC.

I would not recommend a DAB pocket radio, which takes AA batteries, you'd be changing them frequently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks DMC.

Gonna do some more reading up before I part with my shekels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DABble

I would recommend getting a DAB radio, you get 19 channels free, there will be another commercial station up on it in the next few weeks (Radio Kerry)

Radio Kerry?

Which mux and broadcasting to where?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hi,

I'm fairly sure that the answer to this is no, but could anyone confirm whether or not I could receive BBC Radio on DAB here in Dublin? I'm specifically interested in Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live for certain sports coverage, as the MW/LW coverage in the office here is rubbish.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

you wont pick up the BBC ststions nope. Just the DAB pilot stations from 3 Rock

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Slicklink wrote: »
    you wont pick up the BBC ststions nope. Just the DAB pilot stations from 3 Rock

Ok, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement