Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol ban for CL and UEFA Cup games

• 02-10-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Can't get a beer at CL or UC games because of UEFA regulations...I'm told Rangers can't have their Carling sponsors name on their shirts tonight either (blacked out on the shirts)

Nice to see UEFA's principled stand on alcohol extends to their choice of Heineken as an official sponsor for the CL, isn't it? Think I'll ask for a pint of hypocrisy at my next Wafer game...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Rangers can't have Carling on their jerseys because alcohol sponsorship is banned in France, nothing to do with UEFA.Same happened liverpool v Toulose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

JeanClaude wrote:
    Rangers can't have Carling on their jerseys because alcohol sponsorship is banned in France, nothing to do with UEFA.Same happened liverpool v Toulose.

Correct.

betting companies next, i loved how kanoute wouldnt have it on his jersey then 888 gave him 300k, guess religion is as strong as ever.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The Rangers thing is a French government ban on the advertisement of alcohol on TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_Evin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

JeanClaude wrote:

yeah thats the case alright... even the rugby european cup, the heineken cup, is called the 'H' Cup in France on all the official advertising hoardings etc... Same for Formula 1 etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can't get a beer at CL or UC games because of UEFA regulations...
    Probably won't make much difference. Very few people drink at games when it's available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Alcohol is never available to us plebs at Celtic. It is served to the 'invester' seats although you cannot bring it out to your seat unlike when I was at the Nou Camp :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Probably won't make much difference. Very few people drink at games when it's available.

400 pats fans took about 23 seconds to figure out that Carlsberg lights i non alchol in Odense :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lynchie

Alcohol is never available to us plebs at Celtic. It is served to the 'invester' seats although you cannot bring it out to your seat unlike when I was at the Nou Camp :)

And the Club 67 bar too.. And both will be selling beer as normal tomorrow from 5pm onwards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:

Never been in White Hart Lane then, I think our halftime round last night was 36 beers...:D

Didn't know about the French ban, the point re. UEFA and sponsorship still stands though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Who needs beer with a result like that!?

I'm sure the gers fans are making up for it right about now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

JeanClaude wrote:
    because alcohol sponsorship is banned in France

The HEINEKEN rugby world cup. There were heineken barriers up all around the pitch. How did that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

maxi-twist wrote:
    The HEINEKEN rugby world cup. There were heineken barriers up all around the pitch. How did that work?

Did the signs actually say 'Heineken' or was it just the logo for example?

I can't remember noticing billboards etc. Too busy getting frustrated with Ireland's performances :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

maxi-twist wrote:
    There would have been at the games staged in Cardiff and Edinburgh but at the games on French soil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The boards have the logo afaik and it says something different but in the heineken font. There waas one behind the goal at the Rangers game. Think it said "champions planet" or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Did the signs actually say 'Heineken' or was it just the logo for example?

I can't remember noticing billboards etc. Too busy getting frustrated with Ireland's performances :(

No i was at 2 of the matches and it definately said heineken. They also sold amstel (pretty sure it was non alcoholic). This debate popped up and no one had an answer to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ziggy67 wrote:
    Thats why inside pockets and half-bottles of Buckfast were invented! :)

amen to that :)

Advertisement