Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 02-10-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Out of curiosity, if you bring a car in from the UK and don't drive it for a while (e.g. keep it in your driveway) do you have to pay the VRT immediately or just when you go to register it/drive it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

According to EU law no tax can be added to goods bought within the EU from one state to another. According to Irish law you have to register it as we are not first class EU citizens and take it up the rear. Would make an interesting case for the European Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Out of curiosity, if you bring a car in from the UK and don't drive it for a while (e.g. keep it in your driveway) do you have to pay the VRT immediately or just when you go to register it/drive it.

Has to be paid within 24 hours of import or next working day if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    According to EU law no tax can be added to goods bought within the EU from one state to another. According to Irish law you have to register it as we are not first class EU citizens and take it up the rear. Would make an interesting case for the European Court.

I wish some motoring group would start a fund to take on the government over this vrt issue. Something i would definitely contribute to, no other country would put up with this rubbish:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

macshadow wrote:
    I wish some motoring group would start a fund to take on the government over this vrt issue. Something i would definitely contribute to, no other country would put up this rubbish:mad:

Apart from the others that have a very similar (and in some cases more expensive) system you mean?

At the end of the day the money will be gotten oneway or another. If VRT is gotten rid of other things (petrol, tax, etc) will be upped so you'll still pay.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If it is not used on the public roads here (even going from the port to your house) then it does not need to be registered or VRTd. To do this you would presumably have brought it in on a trailer and would if asked by customs be able to provide evidence of this (somehow)!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    If it is not used on the public roads here (even going from the port to your house) then it does not need to be registered or VRTd. To do this you would presumably have brought it in on a trailer and would if asked by customs be able to provide evidence of this (somehow)!

like for use in motorsport or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

if your not driving it you wont get stopped by the gardai/customs anyway?

they'll hardly do you for a cae sitting in a driveway not driving anywhere?

Stekelly which other country have a similar tax? I bet it's sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

macshadow wrote:
    Stekelly which other country have a similar tax? I bet it's sweden?

I think Denmark is one.

I'm assuming your going to wade in if I say Sweden, what have they got?

Stekelly wrote:
    I think Denmark is one.

I'm assuming your going to wade in if I say Sweden, what have they got?

No i genuinely didn't know the answer but had a feeling it was one of the scandinavians. you have a bad opinion of me, i never wade in:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

draffodx wrote:
    if your not driving it you wont get stopped by the gardai/customs anyway?

they'll hardly do you for a cae sitting in a driveway not driving anywhere?

Want to bet happend my old fella brought in an old MR2 and a nosey neightbour rang customs etc and he never had it on the road or anything and he had to clear it with customs so he sold it and bought another and put it staright into the garage. Customs get phonecalls all the time form assholes who hate seeing people have something nice. I have alos heard of a few other people getting letters form customs about their cars and why they have not been cleared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A friend of mine brought in an old Porsche for trackday use about 2 years ago. It doesn't see the public roads so VRT isn't required.

OTOH if you're "garaging";) a car and waiting for the VRT to come down, well that won't be a problem as long as you got the seller to not fill in the V5, or at least not to date the V5. If the V5 is dated, then you pay the VRT at the rate the time it was sold.

Bear in mind that VRT reduces very little month on month (my Accord dropped €7 per month), and in somes case can go up (wife's car went up nearly €1,000 year on year), so "garaging" is usually a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 beta_mutt

JHMEG wrote: »
    Bear in mind that VRT reduces very little month on month (my Accord dropped €7 per month), and in somes case can go up (wife's car went up nearly €1,000 year on year), so "garaging" is usually a waste of time.

Is this also the case if you wait until the following year? The VRT calculator on revenue.ie seems to suggest that it would have a big difference, e.g. when you change the cars initial reg date from Jan 03 to Dec 02.

I've just had a pleasant surprise, apparently my car is going up in value every month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Way to derail a simple thread without even answering the OP's question.

Can people not give this VRT moaning a break? :mad: It's been done to death here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

esel wrote: »

Can people not give this VRT moaning a break? :mad: It's been done to death here.

I think you're right.

Let's do oil, instead - US$96/ barrel or, and here's one we haven't had in ages.............................

an Alfa thread ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

a cliché of Irish society?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It is terrible though, I was in the UK yesterday, MINI One in the UK, 11k Sterling. In Ireland, 22k Euro. Madness! We've just rolled over and accepted it, that's all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Legally you have to pay VRT by the next working day of bringing the car into the country. Seems like a pretty expensive number plate if you don't plan on driving it on the road.

If I was you I wouldn't pay it instantly, it's not very likely that customs will knock on your door, but then again if you are worried about a busy body calling the gardaí on you, you could just get a cover for the car and nobody will ever see it or the number plate.

Advertisement