Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Advice Needed

Options
  • 02-10-2007 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi I brought this Model

MIG35144.jpg

I am at a loss to see whatr the best paint for it is , any ideas are welcome , bit of a novice (complete novice)

Basically I think its
    White - Body
    Grey - Seats
    Black - Wheels , Gun, etc black bits
    Front grill - silver?
    Lights - ?
    Indicators - ?
    Inner wheels - Silver

I will handle the dirt effect later .

I am really looking for suggestions on brands of paint etc ...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

ye bought a resin kit and yer a beginner??? are ye mad?
    Anyways.. I use mostly Tamiya Acrylic paints. I find them great for using with an airbrush. Though they can be painted on with a brush pretty well too. But you are best to get the correct brush (I use tamiya brushes or if stuck artists brushes designed for acrylics)

For your indicators, paint em silver then use Clear Orange paint.
    Fot the lights, silver and a bit of shading with clear black (smoke in tamiya range).
    If it were me, id scratch build the lights with clear plastic, but since yer a beginner, dont bother.
    Make sure ya wash the parts, and you will need to prime it too (being resin) with the likes of halfords primer for cars..
    Anything else ya need to know?:D

By the way, tis a cool model! Its on my "to do" list... with a few mujahideen lads in the back of it... http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/3093/0/mujahideen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

White is a notoriously difficult colour to paint, especially with a brush, and even more especially on resin. You will need to be sure to put a primer coat of something like a neutral grey underneath it.

NTM

White is a notoriously difficult colour to paint, especially with a brush, and even more especially on resin. You will need to be sure to put a primer coat of something like a neutral grey underneath it.

NTM

Tis a pain in the bollix alright!... ye can get a white coloured primer which makes life much easier (available in Halfords)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Zambia232 wrote:
    Hi I brought this Model

MIG35144.jpg

I am at a loss to see whatr the best paint for it is , any ideas are welcome , bit of a novice (complete novice)

Basically I think its
    White - Body
    Grey - Seats
    Black - Wheels , Gun, etc black bits
    Front grill - silver?
    Lights - ?
    Indicators - ?
    Inner wheels - Silver

I will handle the dirt effect later .

I am really looking for suggestions on brands of paint etc ...

Thanks in advance

But, before you even start thinking about paintwork, the best advice would be:
    leave this Mig's resin kit on the shelf and get some Tamiya plastic one instead. If you are a novice, you will have big big trouble to put this one together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

FiSe wrote:
    But, before you even start thinking about paintwork, the best advice would be:
    leave this Mig's resin kit on the shelf and get some Tamiya plastic one instead. If you are a novice, you will have big big trouble to put this one together.

Thanks lads , I felt i had taken a bit of a big bite on this one...

any suggestions on a plastic one !!

See i hadnt even thought of resin ....?

• Advertisement

As fise says, get yourself a Tamiya kit. They go together with out any messin. I think just about any Tamiya kit would be fine for a beginner.
    Loads of kits available from netmerchants etc. Tanks, armoured vehicles, motorbikes, cars trucks, dinosaurs... what ever takes ur fancy.

Now, I`ll take that Mig kit off yer hands!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The Doktor wrote:
    As fise says, get yourself a Tamiya kit. They go together with out any messin. I think just about any Tamiya kit would be fine for a beginner.
    Loads of kits available from netmerchants etc. Tanks, armoured vehicles, motorbikes, cars trucks, dinosaurs... what ever takes ur fancy.

Now, I`ll take that Mig kit off yer hands!!:D

I might let you Doktor !!!

Advertisement