Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Coomhola Ever?

Options
  • 02-10-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

Desperate at this stage!! For the last 3 years I've been attempting in vein to get broadband down home in Coomhola (8 miles ouside Bantry on the Kilgarvan road) . I've chased politicians, I've tried wireless but to no avail. I'm working in a large multinational company in Limerick who told me I could work from home if I could get broadband, they even supplied a Vodafone datamodem but of course it didn't work!!!

I even got onto the Project Manager for rolling out of broadband in the Coomhola region who couldn't answer any of my questions re availability.

Another politician recently told me that it would 20 years to get broadband rolled out...

I need to work from home as I have a small farm but because I can't get broadband I can't be there, I have to travel down home only at weekends and stay in Limerick Monday to Friday = massive inconvenience:mad:

I tried a company called digital forge but because a mountain is blocking my view of their mast I haven't got a hope...

Also satellite seems really expensive and the upload speeds don't seem that great...

So please please please , any pointers or tips or anything would be great...

Thanx for reading this

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The SWRA used to maintain a jolly good spreadsheet for Cork and Kerry.

permanet.ie may be in your area but you should check all of the spreadsheet attached below and contact the SWRA to see if there are any updates to it .

Also ask the SWRA to link the feckin thing on their website like they used to ...with thanx from Sponge Bob on boards.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dogatemylegoff

Hey Sponge Bob ! Big thanx for this :cool:

what can I say you are the man !

netwhizkid lives around there, Kilgarvan ...but on the Kerry side of the mountain and is forever on the hunt , he may even have written this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgarvan

he is banned from boards for some reason I know not of but is to be found lurking on politics.ie

http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=20228

but he may have cooked some BB up

send him sponge bobs regards if you make contact , obviously by pm after you register on politics.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sponge Bob wrote:
    he is banned from boards for some reason

He probably has a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dogatemylegoff

Hi SpongeBob!

Back again , tried Permanet but because of restrictions by ComReg they are only allowed to transmit to 10km radius only , still getting nowhere, trying to track down netwhizzkid and maybe form an alliance... Kilgarvan is only 16 miles over the mountain form my house in Cork .

Now it's time for action , I'm going to try to find people in similiar situations to me and protest outside the local council office... later:eek:

• Advertisement

In a situation like yours you first need to find out who owns the high point(s) around with power, maybe a TV deflector ( decommissioned or otherwise) or a water pump and to then get their permission to put an Access Point (=transmitter) up there...with backhaul from someone, maybe permanet or digital forge, who knows .

From that you make sure everyone in range knows about it and signs up.

You see below here that the locals in Roscahill in Galway have just done that , rolled their own and got backhaul

http://www.irishwan.ie/forum/index.php?topic=697.msg4330;topicseen

If you ever installed a network you are some of the way there.

Irishwan also has lots of advice on outdoor wireless gear and installing it , I recommend 5.8ghz gear in case there are 2.4ghz cowshed cameras already in the area which play puck with the signal.

I have seen elsewhere that about 25% of homes and businesses ( of the total) sign up for BB nowadays where its available so scratch that on the back of your envelope when doing the figures.

You may take it that your government does not give a ****e about you and that its up to yourselves , the national bb scheme is probably a dead duck.

The minister in charge is the most junior politician in the entire cabinet and will spend his budget on pellet burners anyway . You would be pure MAD to think he can deliver for you. Do it yeerselves.

Same way ye got running water, ye did it yeerselves !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

A few pictures here : http://clarewan.org/spancilhill.html

that ye burying a crushtie at the bottom there bushy ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Not me , but they do make excellent environmentally friendly foundations

Advertisement