Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing to Wireless Help

• 02-10-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I'm currently connected to Digiweb on my PC which is fine and all but am getting a laptop at the weekend and would like to change over to wireless for it.
    What do I need?
    A wireless router is it? And if so is there a certain one i'll need?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

And if I wanted to connect the PC to broadband in a different room, to the router, can I do it wirelessly as well? Would I need anything to plug into the compu? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Yeah. A wireless router if you want mobile broadband round the house. typically all laptops come as standard with wireless, but it's no harm to ask.
    Wireless operates on a standard 802.11b or 802.11g. The b version is very prone to hacking. The g version is a bit more stable but as recent events have shown nothing is sacred. However that aside ensure that both laptop & router are compatible with whichever variant you decide to get. There's plenty to choose from. Check with digiweb for compatability issues with manufacturers.

As for the PC all you have to do is get a wireless usb dongle in any computer retailer or argos, very cheap to get and setup.

One other thing to bear in mind, the speed you want the router to broadcast. They run at 54, 125Mbps & some even higher. usually the quicker the better & the longer the range. Also ensure the dongle you get for the pc runs at the same speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

patpark121 wrote:
    Wireless operates on a standard 802.11b or 802.11g. The b version is very prone to hacking. The g version is a bit more stable but as recent events have shown nothing is sacred.

Ignore this bit, he doesn't know what he is talking about. 802.11b and 802.11g are standards on how many megabits can be transferred per second. They have nothing to do with encryption or security.
    All you need to know
    802.11b = 11 Mbps
    802.11g = 54 Mnps

The standard is backward compatible so a 802.11b card will work with a 802.11g router but only at 11 Mbps and visa versa.
    Most new hardware is 802.11g.

As for security, there are alreday many thread on this so read them when you go to setup your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

tuxy wrote:
    Ignore this bit, he doesn't know what he is talking about. 802.11b and 802.11g are standards on how many megabits can be transferred per second. They have nothing to do with encryption or security.
    All you need to know
    802.11b = 11 Mbps
    802.11g = 54 Mnps

The standard is backward compatible so a 802.11b card will work with a 802.11g router but only at 11 Mbps and visa versa.
    Most new hardware is 802.11g.

As for security, there are alreday many thread on this so read them when you go to setup your router.

Apologies for leaving the gaping hole there tuxy. I was trying to take into account the posters questioning about wireless, trying to explain it as simply as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Cheers lads. Have been looking through the Argos catalogue. And here is probably the stupidest question ever, but do I get a 'phone line broadband' router or a 'cable broadband' wireless router???
    I have one of those Digiweb satellite boxy things on the wall outside with a cable to my current router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wirelessconnect

The easiest what to answer this question is to get a standard 4 port wireless router. I.e. not a dsl (Phone line) router. All you have to do is plug in the cable that you currently have plugged into you computer into the WAN port on the wireless router and following the instruction that come with router. This will eliminate any possible problems setting up such things as pppoe usernames and passwords that your provider may have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The easiest what to answer this question is to get a standard 4 port wireless router. I.e. not a dsl (Phone line) router. All you have to do is plug in the cable that you currently have plugged into you computer into the WAN port on the wireless router and following the instruction that come with router. This will eliminate any possible problems setting up such things as pppoe usernames and passwords that your provider may have.
    Cheers wirelessconnect. Have done exactly that (after failing to set up the wireless one direct. Just wondering how safe my network is now? How do I know if anyone else can simply use my network? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Forky wrote: »
    Cheers wirelessconnect. Have done exactly that (after failing to set up the wireless one direct. Just wondering how safe my network is now? How do I know if anyone else can simply use my network? Thanks again.

Well what wireless encryption are you using?
    I recommend you use wpa and make sure you have a strong passphrase.

Advertisement