Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nape piercing reactions...

Options
  • 02-10-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

How was yours in the first couple weeks? Mine has started to become really itchy at times and it has always been uncomfortable to sleep one. Not sure if that's normal or not? Had it for 3 or so weeks now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hmmm, i must have gotten mine done about the same time as you... honestly, unless i look up and back as far as i can, im barely aware of mine in there.

ive been just washing it in the shower daily (or every second day, but aiming for daily) for the first two weeks, and since about saturday ive been giving it a bit of a soak in some sea salt(y water) and cotton wool as it's been getting a bit crusty.

at night, well, i dont use a pillow usually, and tend to sleep on my side, or my front, so it doesnt really affect me too much then. my biggest problems are occassionally my necklace will get stuck in it (i had a bit of a disagreement with my piercer, as i refused to take it off, despite a relatively new tattoo on my neck as well, we compromised on that every time i have a shower/clean my piercing, i wash the necklace with antibacterial soap), and when im stressed etc i tend to put my hands around the back of my neck, often too hard and then yelp and jerk them away. you'd think id've learnt by now, but no...

where'd you get it done, attol?

i'd it done in snakebite, and steve wouldnt give me an aftercare sheet, he said he'd rather i came back in at various intervals and let him see him, he'll tell me how it's looking and what stage of healing im at. im heading in this week if you wana meet up and come in with me? way i see it, it's way too cool a piercing, with way too much of a likelihood to grow out, i want to take the absolute best care of it i possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Make sure you rinse all the shampoo out of the piercing after a shower, in fact try not to get any shampoo near the piercing whatsoever. It will dry out the piercing and cause irritation.

My nape was itchy for the first month or so, that will go away after a while. The crusty bits never go away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i hate the crusty bits, they annoy me more than anything in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The entire back of my neck has come out all red and itchy, not just the piercing. It's torture trying to leave it alone! I'm not sure how that has happened. Narco may take you up on that offer. Get my tongue redone while I'm at it...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

GaRtH_V wrote:
    My nape was itchy for the first month or so, that will go away after a while. The crusty bits never go away though.

Same here--but what EXACTLY causes the crusties??I always thought the crusties was just some wierd thing with myself when I get pierced--good to see everyone else gets them aswell.

• Advertisement

Id say its the same stuff as with an ear stretch, the sebum(oil) in your skin collecting and drying out. Nasty stuff all together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Crusties are so fun. Flick them at people when you're cleaning your nape. It's hilarious! Lawl!! Haven't done that in forever!!!!!!!!!!

Crusties are so fun. Flick them at people when you're cleaning your nape. It's hilarious! Lawl!! Haven't done that in forever!!!!!!!!!!
    Mankbag!

well, apparently im not allowed to pick the crustie bits...

damned rules nad hygiene...

haha, loving your way of thinkin, emz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

It stays itchy for a while. I had mine done three years and recently took it out. When washing your hair lean forward and wash it the shampoo out so it doesn't go near the piercing. Then wash the piercing with anti-bacterial soap.

If any shampoo gets into the piercing then simply rinse it throughly and gently press the centre of the bar (beneath the skin) and push outwards to each hole. ( Do this gentley so you don't irritate the piercing much)

I never slept flat on my neck for the first few months of getting my neck pierced. Lay on your side to prevent irritation from tossing and turning during the night. Stick to the salt and water soaks twice daily to keep clean and you should be grand.

On the note of crusties, they're usually bits of solidified connective tissue used to create scar tissue. Very annoying if its builds up and can be slightly painfull to get off if you leave it too long.

Oh and Fantasy Suicide, thats just disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I can't read this thread. It's making me pick at my piercings.

*flick*

oh, and about the antibacterial soap, i was told that carex was the gentlest they could find, nad to get a tiny bit of that and make sure it's well diluted before bringing it anywhere near hte piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

I'm a sick individual, I know I know!! But it's hilarious!

I'm a sick individual, I know I know!! But it's hilarious!

why else would we luv ya? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im sorry I asked now!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

GaRtH_V wrote:
    The crusty bits never go away though.

eh... mine went away after maybe 10-12 months
    course then i went and ****ed it all up by getting a second one done :( but it definitely stayed crust free for a long time

edit
    btw crusties are dried lymph fluid afaik, very important part of the immune system. that clear liquid that tends to leak or ooze for a while after you stop bleeding. you have a number of lymph nodes around your neck, probably why you seem to get alot of crusties there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm going formy3rd now soon, rejects a few months after, sniffle,then have towait ages to get it redone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

i'm going formy3rd now soon, rejects a few months after, sniffle,then have towait ages to get it redone

Doesn't sound right to be honest. I was talking to Rob in snakebite when i was getting mine removed and he said they are permanent if placed correctly and kept clean.

If your going for another perhaps change piercer unless you don't clean it enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

can surface peircings be permanant? ive been told by a lot of ppl that they do just grow out after so long and can leave a pretty nasty scar! someone even recomended microdermal implants but i just really like the look of surface peircings and them implants be mighty expensive!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Ok, it's healing up way better. It got pretty nasty and red for a while but now the scabbing is clearing up and it's not that uncomfortable anymore. Might actually feel brave enough to expose it to the world again soon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement