Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about LAN Network

Options
  • 02-10-2007 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi.

Just quick question about LAN Network.

I have Smarttelecom's AoLynk Modem/Router & I connected Desktop & Laptop PCs to it for internet access (not wireless).

So my question is - is it possible to exchange files between 2 PCs using this set up?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

There should be no problem what so ever. I just followed the network set-up wizard when I had this router and it worked fine. Good luck!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ah! A Local Area Network Network! :p

But this setup will work perfectly for file sharing..

Run the network setup wizard on both machines, make sure they are in the same Workgroup, share some folders and thats it ;)

You can also access the other machines with \\MachineName in an explorer window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Actually I did run Network Setup Wizard & all I could see was the router but I couldn't see the other PC :confused:

Or I'm doing something wrong?

BTW I'm using Vista on both machines.

Thanks a lot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

I know I had an issue with zero length passwords in XP pro where I couldn't access a machine that didn't use a password without changing some of the policies. Perhaps Vista will hide the machine altogether? It might be worth taking a look at this:

http://www.megasolutions.net/laptops/Successfully-sharing-files-on-home-XP-Vista-networks-44260.aspx

Advertisement