Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Question

Options
  • 03-10-2007 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Hi someone I was talking to (my boss actually) said that if one is speeding behind someone else that the gardai will generally only get the car in front ? Is this true - in a line of traffic/a few cars is it just the car in front that gets caught? (I dont condone speeding - just asking as a matter of interest as it was an odd observation but my boss believes this to be true)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

well it depends on which is easier to catch if you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your boss is a thick prat! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As was mentioned on here recently, if the gardai have the option of picking one of 2+ drivers speeding in a convoy, then they will target the one behind as had the one in front not been there then more than likely they would be going faster; i.e. they potentially are bigger speeders.
    Furthermore, those behind frequently don't have an adequate stopping distance from the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If your boss means cameras, I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It depends entirely on the situation. If there's two cars speeding and they're clocked from behind, car B will be pulled if he's right up car A's arse. If he's a safe distance back, odds are the Gardai will be off after car A before car B passes. If you're clocked from the front I've only ever seen the front car pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So it's safe to be piggy in the middle of a speeding convoy:o (joke)

There was a thread here just a few days ago where somebody was behind another car, both going above the posted limit, and the guy behind was caught.

I suppose it does depend on the distance between and whether the gardai can get out and nab the 1st guy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

kbannon wrote:
    As was mentioned on here recently, if the gardai have the option of picking one of 2+ drivers speeding in a convoy, then they will target the one behind as had the one in front not been there then more than likely they would be going faster; i.e. they potentially are bigger speeders.

is this fact?
    did a guard confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It's a simple radar question...the signal can only bounce off one object and give a return.ie.you cannot point a radar gun at two cars and get a return signal from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

It probably a case of which is the easiest and safest option.
    I doubt they would have an official policy on something like that. Its probably left up to the guards judgement.

But I would say if the spead trap had two moterbike guards parked up waiting to stop cars and two cars were registered as speeding they would persue both. Otherwise the car at the back is the most likely to get done as they are the first car they will catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Wrong, they will chase the car they got the reading from, this I know from a reliable friend in the Traffic unit. This is nearly always the head car.

If they don't get the lead car with the laser, they'll have a go again from behind it after it passes, if you're following, you'll be caught out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

do the guards in a unmarked car parked up have to stop you if your speeding or can they just post you the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

if it was a hair drier yes they have to stop you but if they have a camera set up they wont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

In the case of a gun reading -

What if a car is travelling at 110kph in a 100kph zone on a dual carrigeway, a car doing 120kph passes out said car and gets clocked, but the guards pull car no.1 as they realise that it was also speeding?
    They have taken the reading off car no.2 that was travelling at a more excessive speed to car no.1 - Is it possible for them to prove to you that it was you they clocked?

I think this is a grey area...

Why? They have evidence that both cars were speeding and you think this is a grey area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

They have evidence that one car was speeding on the gun, they dont know the actual speed of the other car unless it was gunned too.

The grey area occurs IMO when the Guards pull car no.2 even though they clocked car no.1 which was travelling faster than car no.2, it could mean the difference between a dangerous driving charge and a speeding ticket.

Im sure they are only supposed to prosecute the car they clocked, not the one infront of it, behind it, beside it, over it... It cant be ok for a guard to say in a court of law 'well i clocked the lad in front on the gun and he was speeding'

Iv never been caught speeding as i dont make a habit of it so im asking the question, if i was caught, is it possible for me to ask a guard to show me on the gun where he clocked MY speed, not someone elses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

anto-t wrote: »
    if it was a hair drier yes they have to stop you but if they have a camera set up they wont

well there was one guy in the drivers and the guy was out the passenger window with what looked like me to be a camera kinda thing when i got closer but i found it strange that this was the case when they were in the car?

Bendihorse wrote: »
    They have evidence that one car was speeding on the gun, they dont know the actual speed of the other car unless it was gunned too.

The grey area occurs IMO when the Guards pull car no.2 even though they clocked car no.1 which was travelling faster than car no.2, it could mean the difference between a dangerous driving charge and a speeding ticket.

Im sure they are only supposed to prosecute the car they clocked, not the one infront of it, behind it, beside it, over it... It cant be ok for a guard to say in a court of law 'well i clocked the lad in front on the gun and he was speeding'

Iv never been caught speeding as i dont make a habit of it so im asking the question, if i was caught, is it possible for me to ask a guard to show me on the gun where he clocked MY speed, not someone elses?
    Sorry I misread it and was thinking you were referring to Gatsos.
    Anyhow, the gardai don't need proof that you were speeding so it doesn't really matter.

Advertisement