Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Central Midfielder In The World?

• 03-10-2007 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

I'm after watching the highlights of the champions league tonight and in anaylsing the Arsenal game Ronnie Whelan on RTÉ said he considers Cesc Fabregas to be the best central midfielder in the world. Quite a claim. However, having thought about it I'd have to agree with him. Maybe I have the blinkers on but I think he's got a terrific all round game, especially so far this season. Unbelievable for a player so. Nevertheless I'll let this season pan out before I make any definitive judgment on him. If he starts as he means to continue....then wow.

What does everyone else think?

Edit: I'm not including attacking midfielders such as Kaka and Ronaldinho

Best Central Midfielder In World? 162 votes

Cesc Fabregas - Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Paul Scholes - Man Utd
    43% 71 votes
    Michael Essien - Chelsea
    9% 15 votes
    Frank Lampard - Chelsea
    11% 18 votes
    Steven Gerrard - Liverpool
    1% 2 votes
    Xavi - Barcelona
    14% 23 votes
    Gennaro Gattuso - AC Milan
    8% 14 votes
    Mahammadou Diarra - Real Madrid
    10% 17 votes
    Patrick Vieira - Internazionale
    0% 0 votes
    Xabi Alonso - Liverpool
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lets talk about Cesc baby. Certainly it has to be him on current form, nobody on the list is even close. There are a few cracking attacking midfielders at the moment, like Diego for Bremen and Juninho at Lyon, but Fabregas just has that something about him, and its still amazing to think that he is only 20. He'll be one of the best ever I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Yep, I would agree with Fabregas definitely. Will turn out to be a true great and legend of the game if he keeps progressing the way he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

On current form it has to be Cesc. He has improved since last season. But I think he has to prove himself over a much longer period before we can truly call him the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Of those listed, Michael Essien without a doubt.

But Iniesta is the best in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jimmy Bullard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I'm talking about current form really. And Iniesta is a glaring omission tbh on my part. Excellent player.

Stekelly wrote:
    Jimmy Bullard

On current form? He's injured and out til Xmas afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Riquelme should be on that list, even if he isn't playing at the moment.

As should Deco and Iniesta.

Fabregas is the best on current form and will hopefully get even better.

To think Spain have Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Albelda, and Fabregas all competing for two places in the national side, and that Guti and Arteta can't even get a look in!

It's really insane the wealth of luxury players they have to choose from. And yet they continue to underachieve at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cson wrote:
    On current form? .

Nope, overall.

I'm thinking more in the lines of current form tbh.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote:
    Riquelme should be on that list, even if he isn't playing at the moment.

As should Deco and Iniesta.

Fabregas is the best on current form and will hopefully get even better.

To think Spain have Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Albelda, and Fabregas all competing for two places in the national side, and that Guti and Arteta can't even get a look in!

It's really insane the wealth of luxury players they have to choose from. And yet they continue to underachieve at international level.

I'd be of the opinion that Riquelme has fallen a bit since more or less guiding Villareal to the Champions League Semi's.

Definitely agree that Iniesta should have been on it, Arteta also perhaps now that I think of it. Haven't seen much of David Albelda at Valencia tbh.

cson wrote:
    I'm thinking more in the lines of current form tbh.
    Deco has been pretty sensational when I've seen him play this season. He's been awesome for Barca and Porto the past few seasons as well.

Guti at Real Madrid is now about 30 or 31 but he was inspired last season and on his day is a good as anyone. I believe there's a campaign in the Spanish press to get him and Raul back in the international setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Last season they were hyping up fabregas and I didn't think it was justified. However with what I've seen of him this season I think a Wayne's World "We're Not Worthy" is in order. He has been unbelievable, not only adding goals to his game, his passing is absolutely perfect. He can execute any pass that pops into his head effortlessly, making him pretty unstoppable. And he always seems to have all the time and space in the world which is the sign of a very intelligent player.

I haven't seen him play this year yet. I thought he was pretty annoymous for Barca's Champions League campaign last year. Actually is he getting his game at Barca these days? Such a wealth of attacking midfielders they have...

Edit: Talking 'bout Deco

And he always seems to have all the time and space in the world which is the sign of a very intelligent player.

Its also the sign of very inept opposition midfield.

*Looks at Arsenal's fixtures so far*

Oh... :)

cson wrote:
    I haven't seen him play this year yet. I thought he was pretty annoymous for Barca's Champions League campaign last year. Actually is he getting his game at Barca these days? Such a wealth of attacking midfielders they have...

Edit: Talking 'bout Deco
    He certainly has! Since Barca's opening day goalless draw at Santander he's started every game (5 in the league and 2 in the CL). The club were believed to be looking to offload him in the summer but obviously he's still very much apart of their 'dream team'.
    He did fade in the second half of last season but apart from that he's been fairly consistent in the last 4-5 years.

I know theres a limited number of options for polls, but De Rossi, Cambiasso and Pirlo should be there. Alonso and Diarra should not be considered at all.

Archimedes wrote:
    I know theres a limited number of options for polls, but De Rossi, Cambiasso and Pirlo should be there. Alonso and Diarra should not be considered at all.
    Diarra hasn't convinced me either and Alonso has faded over the past 18 months or so. Before then I'd definitely have him in there.
    Pirlo should be there, and perhaps Seedorf too.

If the Turkish Maradona (aka Emre) gets fully fit again and Big Sam starts playing him in a 3 man midfield, then he'll be in there too - mark my words!

You heard it here first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I would say Fabregas or Essien tbh, maybe more so Essien due to me being a Chelsea supporter :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

On current form as in over the last month, Fabregas probably nails it. Pirlo is one of the top midfielders in football but, again, on current form, probably shouldn't make that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Fabregas is the form midfielder which makes him easiest to pick. In general I'd go with Xavi though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

FABERGAS form at the moment is superb and Yes he may be up their at the end of the season. But too say he is the best in the world is jumping to concussions, It would be like naming the winner in a mile long horse race after a furlong. their are a hell of alot proven midfielders out there. (proven over many seasons at the top ) Yes he has ability and talent but let's not put the cart before the horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

De Rossi
    Cambiasso
    Iniesta
    Riquelme-Best player in Copa Libertadores last year
    Cesc

I think these are the best in the World, but I could add much more to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

On current form, I'd go with Iñiesta. I voted for Xavi though, as Iñiesta isn't in the list. I like Pirlo aswell but he was pretty anonymous the couple of times I've seen him in the flesh. Xavi just looks so elegant on the ball and Iñiesta has had that ease on the ball mixed with some sublime bits of skill since the season started.

Cesc will definitely be one of the greats but he's not there yet. Although I'm a United fan and have an inherent dislike of everything Arsenal related, I really like the way he carries himself on the pitch and off it. He seems very intelligent, articulate and down-to-earth in any of the interviews I've seen with him.

An Citeog wrote:
    On current form, I'd go with Iñiesta. I voted for Xavi though, as Iñiesta isn't in the list. I like Pirlo aswell but he was pretty anonymous the couple of times I've seen him in the flesh. Xavi just looks so elegant on the ball and Iñiesta has had that ease on the ball mixed with some sublime bits of skill since the season started.

Cesc will definitely be one of the greats but he's not there yet. Although I'm a United fan and have an inherent dislike of everything Arsenal related, I really like the way he carries himself on the pitch and off it. He seems very intelligent, articulate and down-to-earth in any of the interviews I've seen with him.
    The funny thing is that if you are going on current form, Iniesta can't really be judged as a midfielder, because up until tonight he was playing in the front three. Didn't see tonights Barcelona game so don't know how he did back in the midfield again. Xavi, Deco and Iniesta is a formidable midfield trio at the moment, not to mention the front three of Henry, Messi and Ronaldinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And of course Yaya Toure in there as well!

Was having a bit of a toughy picking from that poll, but i decided to pick who i would most like to have at my team in the morning, no questions asked, and went for Cesc. Essien close behind though.

Riquelme is awesome as a player, but i dont know if id put him into the same category as the other 2 as he doesnt really track back and get stuck in which any central midfielder has to be able to do. Thats another important facet Fabregas has added to his game this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I was only ever going to vote for one player really. I think Barca fans are still trying to remember a time when he actually gave the ball away.

I agree that Cesc is unreal for his age. Not an Arsenal fan by any means but bought myself a 'Fabregas 15' jersey three years ago cause I knew he'd be big. Most people just went "Who?". He's brilliant to watch.

I really don't think Lampard should be on this ahead of the likes of Pirlo. No contest there IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Xavi is great, but at this moment in time, I would not say he's up there with players like De Rossi.

Xavi hands down. Fabregas in the future could be the best. After that Pirlo and maybe Essien. Agree that iniesta should be there, he's grown into a world class player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pirlo or Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol @ Alonso and Lamps in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If it's on current form, I'd have to go with Fabregas. He is unreal lately. That said, it's only been 8 matches of the season so far, it remains to be seen whether he can keep it up (which while I think he can keep up his performance levels, I don't think he'll keep knocking in the goals)

In general, I'd have to say Kaka? He plays at the front of a 4-3-3, like Lampard and Geard. But if you mean a standerd box to boxer, the best out and out is Xavi in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fabregas is the best at the moment alright, but if in the morning i had a choice between him and Monsieur Gerrard, it'd be Gerrard all the way to be honest....the man is a force of nature :)

Give Cesc time, and i have no doubt he'll be it, but at the moment no, as has been pointed out, Arsenal have yet to face any decent opposition in the league this year.

• Advertisement

Give Cesc time, and i have no doubt he'll be it, but at the moment no, as has been pointed out, Arsenal have yet to face any decent opposition in the league this year.

Emmm didn't they play the team that currently sit 3rd in the Premiership, who also beat United and, along with Arsenal, are currently playing the best football in the league? Surely that counts as 'decent opposition'?

No afraid not, City will fade during the year almost certainly,good side, but not one of the top ones I'm afraid. And the whole, they played X and won, X played Y and won, Y are decent, therefore X are great, doesn't really hold any water :) sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Gareth Barry!! England would be nothing with out him!

^quality player alright, think best in the world is a bit of a stretch though :)

No afraid not, City will fade during the year almost certainly,good side, but not one of the top ones I'm afraid. And the whole, they played X and won, X played Y and won, Y are decent, therefore X are great, doesn't really hold any water :) sorry

So you're saying City are a good side but not a decent side??? Excuse my confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Okay then, the best in MY world!!

Um, you said 'decent' first, and Man City certainly fit that category.

I'm temped to say Spurs as well since they were meant to be the next big thing but I suppose any team could beat them these days.

Ok, apologies, i meant top4 side . . satisfied? :)

Ok, apologies, i meant top4 side . . satisfied? :)

But we're in 3rd so therefore aren't we a.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think he meant Sky's 'BIG FOUR'tm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

"Current form" two months into a season is irrelevant.

If I could take only one midfielder in the current game it would be Gattuso. We'll see what Cesc and Arsenal have won at the end of the year.

People seem to think Fabregas has just come out of nowhere this season...

He made the European Team of the Year last season, and has been the best midfielder in the Premiership for pretty much the last two seasons. In my opinion, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Gattuso for me.
    For the PL its Fabregas tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that poll should read the best in england tbh. so many from the continent left out.

but yeah Cesc has been my all time favourite footballer for the past 3 years or so. it's scary to think he can only get better!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement