Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pronunciation pet hate

Options
  • 03-10-2007 12:43am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just watching Oireachtas Report on RTÉ One and it's showing a clip of Joan Burton speaking, during which she kept pronouncing 'modern' as if it was spelt 'mod-rin'.

It got me thinking about pet hates in terms of pronunciation and I thought I'd ask if people had their own.

For me it's one thing if the pronunciation is different but logical (like they difference between the pronunciation of 'route' by Americans and British or Irish people or the way many people pronounce 'vehicle' with an emphasis on the 'eh' rather than the 've'), but it's a whole other thing when it's pronounced nothing like it's spelled (as above).

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nuke-u-lar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Carlsburg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

How many do you want!!!!

Border.... pron. Bawder
    Carvery.. pron. Cavvery

Fás..pron Foss

Fine Gael.. pron Fyne Gael

Lotto ..pron Lottho

Get.. pron geh..Miriam O'Callaghan.

Get it.. pron gerrih.. most working class Dubliners.

France.. pron Fraaaaance..Donal Lenihan on TV3

Left instead of "let" as in "he left him go" Most people from Cork & Kerry

Waterford pron Waterford that plonker on the GAA results RTE

Human pron yooman .... Joe Duffy

Money pron Munny.. Mary O'Rourke...............

ad infinitum...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Millons

My old history teach used to talk about the I.R.AH.

Slightly OT, but I hate "turned around" as in "Anto turned around and asked decco what he was talking about. Decco turned round and told Anto to.." etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

espresso pronounced as eXpresso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

It hapens alot on boards - thought and taught getting mixed up.

On radio and TV anything begining with TH - Thailand getting pronounced thighland, Thompson = thumbson.

X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but I hate "turned around" as in "Anto turned around and asked decco what he was talking about. Decco turned round and told Anto to.." etc.
    lol yeah, they must have been quite dizzy by the end of the anecdote.

Similarly I dislike people ending sentences with "but".
    It leaves you hanging a bit if you're not used to it... "eeh, but what?" - "nope that's it" - "oh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

People in munster often stress the wrong syllable of a word eg.
    Cement - Ce-ment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

One that crops up this time of year is people pronouncing Stephen's Day as Stephen's's Day. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

FruitLover wrote: »
    One that crops up this time of year is people pronouncing Stephen's Day as Stephen's's Day. WTF?
    People I work with pronounce "Texts" as "Texts's". WRECKS my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JæKæ wrote: »
    People in munster often stress the wrong syllable of a word eg.
    Cement - Ce-ment
    ....and 'committee' as 'comma - tee'.

My own pet pronounciation hate is when Dorset Street is pronounced as 'DorSETT' street! :(

It should rhyme with corset. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

My own pet pronounciation hate is when Dorset Street is pronounced as 'DorSETT' street! :(

And when the English put their pronunciation on Irish names, and before we know it, it's Tim Cay-hill

Beaumont pronounced as Beaumount. :(

Ashbourne pronounced as Ashburn. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Taradusk

Theeseach = Taoiseach
    Thanaiste = Tánaiste:D

(RTE Special)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And when the English put their pronunciation on Irish names, and before we know it, it's Tim Cay-hill
    and doherty as dock-her-tee

Taradusk wrote: »
    Theeseach = Taoiseach
    Thanaiste = Tánaiste:D

(RTE Special)

What's wrong with that???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 glasgowspremier

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Gerry Ryan, the world's biggest expert on absolutely everything, who pronounces paedophile as pay-doh-feel.

Or maybe he's right and the rest of us have it wrong. Any classical Greek scholars out there?

the world's biggest expert on absolutely everything, who pronounces paedophile as pay-doh-feel
    That just reminds me (althought not pronounciation related) of all those media people who constantly refer to 'sexual abuse' as 'sex abuse'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

There's a documentary on Channel 4 at the moment about WW3 almost starting in 1983.

The bloody woman narrating it is using the word nucular every few seconds. It is driving me so mad I've stopped watching and come here to vent my spleen instead :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

dont forget keogh pronounced "key oh"

• Advertisement

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Gerry Ryan, the world's biggest expert on absolutely everything, who pronounces paedophile as pay-doh-feel.

Or maybe he's right and the rest of us have it wrong. Any classical Greek scholars out there?

Actually he is right, but the other "Pee-doh feel" is also right.

Nothing to do with classical greek,it's a latin derivation

remember the Latin grammar !ae! as in Mensae can be pronounced either

"Men-say" or "menss-eye.

there ya go now:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The mispronunciation of 'would HAVE' has a great deal to answer for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Only culchies and southsiders say Dorset to rhyme with corset ;) - people who live there say Door-SETT.

I knew a man once who used to say 'Rah-henny' for Raheny. He was probably close to the original pronunciation, though I doubt he was quite that old.

I knew a fella who always called "Phibsboro" "Fizzboro"

who called "Chapelizod" "Chapelizard"

who called "Blanchardstown" "Blancherstown"

who called "Rathfarnham" "Rathfarm"

who called "Sandyford" ""Samford"

who called"Lisbon" "Lisburn"

who called "Latvia" "Latua"

who called "Tesco" "Texaco"

Fcuker nearly put me into a mad house.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

People who don't say vee-ic-le but instead veh-hickle (yes I know its spelt that way)

Its more common than you think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Not English of course, but Kyoto (Kyo-to) as key-yoto or kai-oto irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

espresso pronounced as eXpresso
    This is only irritating when the speaker is a native English-speaker. I forgive foreigners, as in French -the home of coffee- it is spelled with an "x". Although the fact that they call it just "un café" makes this somewhat redundant.

I don't mind different accents affecting how words are pronounced, such as most inner city Dublin accents dropping final "t"; it's all part of sound change. What *does* get my goat, however, is -as has been mentioned previously- when people mispronounce things based on how they're spelled. The only example that comes to mind is the word "definitely" when spoken by some inner city Dubs: [,dE.fIn"aI.tli], which would rhyme with "nightly".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What's wrong with that???

Everything.

There is no phoneme in Gaeilge which even closely corresponds to the "th" phoneme in English.

I hate people who either can't pronounce "th", or those who hyper-correct most "t" sounds to be pronounced as a "th".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Yep.

Like in Thigh-land which I find fantastically annoying.

Also, ek-cetera and pacifically (for specifically)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Pronunciation being spelt pronounciation <-- not an English word.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/pronounciation.html

Advertisement