Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pronunciation pet hate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

or...

children pronounced as chidren

or...

Gerry Ryan pronouncing Portugal as Portagul

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Sangwidges and Janguary

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

George Hamilton saying sikth instead of sixth. My other half saying mellingitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Ontroprenoower - I know it's a foreign word but it's not that difficult. There's an add on the radio for some ethnic entrepreneurship awards and it is mispronounced every time (which is lots of times). You'd think if they had to say it so often they'd at least find out how to pronounce it. And don't get me started on the Newstalk presenter who puts the emphasis on the middle bit - onTROPenoower :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Slow coach wrote: »
    George Hamilton saying sikth instead of sixth. My other half saying mellingitis.

She must be a true Dub??

The true Dub usually throws in the "L" instead of 'N'

As in "Where did you go on your holidays last year??

Oh we were in "Telleriffe"!!!

• Advertisement

She must be a true Dub??

She is. North Inner city. Despite a Trinners' degree, she pronounces a lot of things the same way as her mother.

A package of Crip.
    Chimley
    Window still. (I'm wincing while typing :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That must be really frustrating, Slow Coach. Those little things would drive me mad. Next time she says it, just say, "You mean chimney, right?" and see what reaction you get; she may not notice that she's doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

irish people who pronounce chicago as shi-car-go annoy me.

americans who pronounce anything ending with ing as if it ends with een. "e.g. i was feeleen, like, ok n stuff". they're the same ones who usually intonate up at the end of every sentence, as if asking a question. the fools.

i like some mispronunciations though. i finds dubs who say "yizzer" for your quaintly charming, though it's hard to take them too seriously.

i have singaporean cousins who have perfect engish, but with many strange 'singlish' characteristics: contra-bute for con-trib-ute is one that offends me as it shows a lack of understanding of how that word is constructed.

if you say "would of" to me you will forever be thought of as an idiot. sorry.

Aard wrote: »
    That must be really frustrating, Slow Coach. Those little things would drive me mad. Next time she says it, just say, "You mean chimney, right?" and see what reaction you get; she may not notice that she's doing it.

heh heh ....Not a chance in hell I would say, better chance of snow in Aurgust;)

Aard wrote: »

I wince every time she says it. What's more she has the kids saying it, too. :mad:

Yes, I correct it every single time. Even in company. :D So much so that if she's about to say one of "her" words in company she checks herself and tries to say it right. Mission accomplished. :p

I have to admit to one or two bad ones myself, like everton instead of everything. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

....and 'committee' as 'comma - tee'.

My own pet pronounciation hate is when Dorset Street is pronounced as 'DorSETT' street! :(

It should rhyme with corset. ;)

Wrong.

People who live on Dorset ST pronounce it DorSETT Street. I imagine they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Wrong.

People who live on Dorset ST pronounce it DorSETT Street. I imagine they're right.
    It was named after the Earl of Dorset, not the Earl of DorSETT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Left instead of "let" as in "he left him go" Most people from Cork & Kerry

What's wrong with saying "he let him go"? :confused:

PS Anyone who says "DORset street" should be kicked out of the country.

obl wrote: »
    I hate people who either can't pronounce "th", or those who hyper-correct most "t" sounds to be pronounced as a "th".

you clearly have issues ...

It was named after the Earl of Dorset, not the Earl of DorSETT.

Doesn't matter where the fecker was from, north inner city inhabitants have modified it for their own purposes and DorSETT Street it is, and always will be. Except of course to southsiders who rarely venture over, except as a minor inconvenience on their way to the Airport or a yummy plate of prawn sandwiches at The Creauker.

:D

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Left instead of "let" as in "he left him go" Most people from Cork & Kerry

What's wrong with saying "he let him go"? :confused:

PS Anyone who says "DORset street" should be kicked out of the country.

Nothing at all Ian nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Committee, film, advertisement, worm, Corolla. Cork people.

Advertisement