Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHELSEA General Discussion and Rumours 07/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

The Kevin Doyle rumour is back, it's on the back page of the Echo today. Cork City would get 10% of the 12 million euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

plazzTT wrote: »
    The Kevin Doyle rumour is back, it's on the back page of the Echo today. Cork City would get 10% of the 12 million euro

As famous comedian once said
    " Cute Cork Whores "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I see people are saying Chelsea will lose a lot of points during the African cup of nations,
    well the fixtures are
    Spurs home
    Birmingham away
    Reading home
    and Portsmouth away ,

Feb 10 they have Liverpool away , will Drogs & Co be back by then ?

it doesn't look too dificult apart from Liverpool , but I think the ACN is over by then ?

you have a lot of these anti Chelsea journalists trying to stir ****e ..
    like this guy
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/02/five_things_we_learned_over_th.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

He's hardly stirring anything.

Chelsea are gonna be missing there best striker, one of their best playmakers (after Bllack) and their best combatitive midfieider for pretty much all the games you've mentioned.

And then Lampard is out for another 3 weeks.

So its just Sidwell, Ballack and Makelele in centre midfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

starting to think anelka wouldn't be a bad buy now, although i can't imagine bolton holding out for toll long for more money.

I saw a story in the torygraph this morning that Spurs want Ben Haim, more than welcome to him, he's been bloody useless for chelsea thus far, god help spurs if they think he's going to stop them leaking goals. If they do lose Berbatov also that would be very bad news (for them).

Still hoping that we acquire Alves and Villa which would certainly brighten up the new year and keep us in with some chance of keeping in the title race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    *clears cobwebs off thread*

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2942821,00.html

Stupid pointless stuff to be saying. Possibly a sign he plans on joining Jose and (reportedly) Drogba out the exit door?
    A piece from an interview by Italian player Luca Santonocito of Celtic:

Che differenza c'è fra i nostri allenamenti e i loro?

Quelli italiani sono basati soprattutto su tecnica e tattica con un basso ritmo di gioco; quelli scozzesi c’e meno tecnica e tattica, molta piu fisicità e resistenza, i ritmi di allenamento sono sempre molto elevati. Inoltre, io mi alleno tutti i giorni tranne il mercoledì, ho due partite alla settimana, e alcuni giorni le sessioni di allenamento sono sia mattino che pomeriggio, oltre alla palestra.

Babelfish translates it to this:

Which difference is between our training and theirs?

The Italians above all base on technique and tactics with a low rhythm of game; Scots c’and little technique and tactics, a lot piu fisicità and resistance, the training rhythms are always a lot elevate to you. Moreover, I train myself every day except the Wednesday, I have two left to the week, and some days the training sessions are are mattino that afternoon, beyond to the arena.

More reason as to why the British game is "brainless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

We really should try and revive this thread it is important to have a place to discuss chelsea, as I posted in another thread here is my opinion of our 1st and 2nd string team, it is quiet scary really!
    Cech
    Belletti
    R.Carvalho
    J.Terry
    A.Cole---

Essien
    Ballack
    Lampard

J.Cole

Anelka
    Drogba

With a Sub 11 of

Cudicini
    Ferreira----Alex
    Ivanovic
    W.Bridge

Makelele
    Mikel

Wright Philips
    Malouda

Schevchenko
    Kalou

Third String
    Hillario,Sidwell,Pizarro

Here is a question where would that team of subs end up in the premiership if all fully fit and on form? push for europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No Malouda on either team?

sorry my mistake.
    edited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Here is a question where would that team of subs end up in the premiership if all fully fit and on form? push for europe?

Assuming there'd be no Chelsea they'd be top 4 material easily but all of the top 4's secondary teams would be

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    No Malouda on either team?
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Assuming there'd be no Chelsea they'd be top 4 material easily but all of the top 4's secondary teams would be

I beg your pardon,

I find that hard to believe

Ivory Coast & Ghana are out of ACON
    that means essien,kalou,mikel and Drogba on their way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah crap! I was hoping for a Ghana - Ivory Coast final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ivory Coast & Ghana are out of ACON
    that means essien,kalou,mikel and Drogba on their way back.

Not quite yet, unless Essien/Kalou/Drogba are excused from the 3rd/4th place play-off match.

When is the 3rd/4th play off ?

so they won't be back for Liverpool ??

SHÏT !!

• Advertisement

jackdaw wrote: »
    When is the 3rd/4th play off ?

so they won't be back for Liverpool ??

SHÏT !!

Saturday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Any chelsea fans out there at all???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

chdpoker wrote: »

Wait about 12 - 15 years and this place will be full of 'em.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Wait about 12 - 15 years and this place will be full of 'em.

Thanks i will be back then!!

Delighted this thread has been brought back, so do you fancy Chelseas chances in eithe rthe league/cl now, ist a pity united didn't slip up today, would have been nice to be 1 behind them and 2 behind arsenal.

Wait wow just checked arsenal result, we are going to do this, we have such a big squad, could we do it?

• Advertisement

We have every chance to win the league.Have a huge say in it with having Arsenal and Man U both at the bridge. 3 pts off the top with a game in hand over Arsenal.Come on the Chels!!

I've said all along I think Chelsea will finish 1st or 2nd and with Arsenal and Utd to go to Stamford Bridge I'd put Chelsea joint favourites with Utd.

As a Utd fan I'm obviously rooting for them and expect them to do it....it's going to be mighty close though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not at the moment. All the band wagon places are taken by red shirts.

I do think Chelsea will make a good run at the league, but Grant will
    bottle it ...

and more bad news here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7296880.stm

Not a chance in the CL , i expect another slip up to Liverpool in the SF stage if we get past Fenerbache

Its a good draw in the CL easily beat those Scousers as long as theres no mysterious goals;)

_____________________Cudicini
    Ferreira___________Alex_____Ben-Haim_______Wayne Bridge

________________Mikel___________Makélélé_____________

__Wright-Phillips _________________________Malouda
    _______________________Kalou
    ________________Shevchenko

What do you think of that team? its quiet scary huh?
    but wait that was only the second string for the easy matches take a look at:

_____________________Petr Čech
    Juliano Belletti______John Terry_______Ricardo Carvalho____Ashley Cole

_____Michael Essien_____Michael Ballack_____Frank Lampard

________________________Joe Cole

_____________Anelka______________Drogba

Players who don't make top 22:
    Henrique Hilário
    Branislav Ivanović
    Claudio Pizarro
    Steve Sidwell

with this team all fully fit surely we have the best team in the league for a given formation. eg 4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3
    if only we experimented more.

where would the second string come in the league?
    challenge for europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You have the best squad in the league, nobody would doubt that. Whether or not you have the best manager, or the right balance I would seriously question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think what may cost Chelsea the league is the CL.
    I fully expect Chelsea to be in the semi's and I also believe it will be Arsenal they will face. And that's what could cost Chelsea the league. I think the two legs against Arsenal will be very physical and test games at a very keg time in the run in. And will stretch both teams mentally and more importantly physically Yes I expect Utd to face Barcelona in the other semi .And while Utd's semi is going to be hard to win, I dont think it will be anything like the physical English battle of Chelsea/Arsenal semi so the two legs should not affect the Utd players as much.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Think what may cost Chelsea the league is the CL.
    I fully expect Chelsea to be in the semi's and I also believe it will be Arsenal they will face. And that's what could cost Chelsea the league. I think the two legs against Arsenal will be very physical and test games at a very keg time in the run in. And will stretch both teams mentally and more importantly physically Yes I expect Utd to face Barcelona in the other semi .And while Utd's semi is going to be hard to win, I dont think it will be any like the physical English battle of Chelsea/Arsenal semi so the two legs should not affect the Utd players as much.

i think we have the squad to cope with a big push for both.We had a chance at a sneaky quadruple 3 weeks ago and fecked that up we let two trophys slip and this should fire us on in both to go all the way.Hopefully!!!!

The Sun is so full of nonsense
    helsea have denied reports that their manager Avram Grant received death threats at the club's training ground.

The Sun newspaper claimed this morning that Chelsea had received a package for Grant which contained racist threats and a "suspect white powder", but the club was quick to reject the story. A statement on the club's website insisted: "Reports in the media this morning regarding a threat sent to our training ground against Avram Grant are totally incorrect."

Excellent article by Kevin Mcarra
    Time for Grant to excorcise Mourinhos ghost
    The only thing Jose Mourinho could never give Chelsea was a low profile. In consequence the most disconcerting development under his predecessor has been the club's new penchant for stealth. Avram Grant's side might as well have been scaling the Premier League table under cover of darkness.

It is a small surprise to realise that Chelsea are now just three points off the peak currently occupied by Manchester United. Sir Alex Ferguson's team have yet to come to Stamford Bridge and Arsenal face that test on Sunday. Under Mourinho there would be an expectation of intrigue over these decisive weeks, to say nothing of feuding and bitter allegations.

When the parting with the Portuguese occurred in September there was emphasis on Roman Abramovich's desire for stylish football that would win friends as well as matches. Primarily, however, the appointment of Grant as manager was akin to firing a tranquilliser dart into an overwrought club. Perhaps the sedative was needed and there have been no Mourinhoesque tirades, just samples of the Israeli's dry sense of humour.

Only now are we set to discover how much more there is to Grant. He is at risk of being the opposite of Mourinho in one respect too many. Chelsea used to win most of their major games in the Premier League or, at least, falter in a splenetic manner. The side now plays vaguely at these moments. Under Grant, Chelsea have been beaten at both Old Trafford and the Emirates. When Liverpool came to Stamford Bridge last month, the absence of incident or flair made the spectator's head throb thoughout the goalless draw.

Chelsea have a demanding match before them at White Hart Lane tomorrow and would have to win all nine of their remaining fixtures in the Premier League to reach 91 points, the total with which they last took the title in 2006. The side, despite the routs against Manchester City and Derby County, has also been outscored heavily by United and Arsenal, with Liverpool also holding a clear advantage.

Grant has succeeded to an extent, dealing serenely with the Champions League programme and accumulating points in the Premier League. That, however, has done no more than earn the patience of a crowd that has deferred a verdict on him. It would not, of course, have been easy for anyone to follow Mourinho and the track record of Grant, which does not stand comparison with that of Ferguson, Arsène Wenger or Rafael Benítez, bought him scant tolerance.

He may have fared better than anticipated, but Chelsea continue to be a club owned by a billionaire who will, in the long run, accept nothing less than domination of English and European football. As Grant himself agrees, the friendship with Abramovich does not mean that ambitions will be scaled back.

This manager is yet to show that he has the personality and acumen to make a key match bend to his will. It is all the worse for him that his efforts must be weighed against those of Mourinho. Last season had overtones of failure for Chelsea, yet the club won the Carling Cup and the FA Cup, came second in the Premier League and were eliminated from the Champions League by a penalty shoot-out in the semi-final at Anfield.

The fans pine most for the sharp authority of Mourinho. No Stamford Bridge regular, for instance, will forget the merciless precision with which his Chelsea exploited Barcelona's weakness at full-back in 2005 to rack up a 3-0 lead over the visitors after 19 minutes.

Anyone might struggle to demonstrate that they can be quite such an overlord, but Grant is doubted because it has looked at times as if his influence cannot break free of the confines of the technical area. That defeat by Tottenham in the Carling Cup final caused particular dismay in Chelsea ranks because the manager, having settled on a peculiar line-up that shunted Nicolas Anelka to the left wing, could never galvanise his players or hit upon substitutions to alter the tone of the game.

It is impossible that the squad can have the total faith in him that the charismatic Mourinho enjoyed. Circumstance also militate against Grant and, for instance, neither Petr Cech nor John Terry have the imperious air that defined them a year or two ago. Each of them has had injuries, but the manager may also have been more at ease when the squad was gravely diminished and allowances could be made.

With most obstacles removed, the going is actually tougher for Grant.

What explanation could there ever be for an FA Cup defeat at Barnsley in which Chelsea barely created a chance? There are opportunities left in the two competitions that matter most, but the side has to prove that it still has an indomitable streak and the manager has not established that he is acute enough as a strategist.

He did face a gruelling assignment in following Mourinho and it may be that Grant's great contribution will lie in letting his own successor start with a clean sheet.

• Advertisement

Why do they not play Drogba and Anelka up front together?

Do you think it would work?

Why do they not play Drogba and Anelka up front together?

Do you think it would work?

too similar in style, if you put the two of them on at the same time, your going to have to sacrifice a winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mr Alan wrote: »

+1. F*****g idiot. I would've smashed his lovely windows.

Ashley Cole is another one. Did ya see his "tackle" on Hutton last night?? Should've been sent off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

+1. F*****g idiot. I would've smashed his lovely windows.

Then you are just as bad as he is. Do you do that a lot in public shopping centers when others park in disabled spots or just to cars you can't afford?

Seriously I think JT is great and all but thats just silly carry on from him.

On the whole Cashley tackle he has issued a public appology tonight.

DIDIER DIDIER DIDIER

that is all!

1-0 Essien 40Mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Come on Everton!
    I can see Chelski getting very nervy in the last 20 here as a result of what happened on Monday!

besty wrote: »
    Come on Everton!
    I can see Chelski getting very nervy in the last 20 here as a result of what happened on Monday!

good call

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

A deserved win Avram?
    Grant said: 'Yes.'

What particularly pleased you about the performance?
    'I'm pleased.'

What in particular pleased you?
    After an eight second delay: 'I don't know.'

Is it a relief to win here?
    'Yes.'

You seem lost for words by the performance. Are you more satisfied with the performance or the victory?
    'Both.'

You seem distracted. Do you have a problem?
    'No problem.'

Is there an issue?
    'No. I'm ok. I have nothing to say.'

Do you have a message for the Chelsea fans?
    'You represent the Chelsea fans?'

They must believe you are still in the title race, do you have a message for them?
    'No message.'

Does this result mean you are back in it now?
    'I don't know.'

How many steps have you climbed to undertake this press conference?
    'I don't know.'

You seem less voluble than usual. Is it because of Sky TV moving the game to a Thursday?
    'Maybe it's because of you. I don't know. I am ok.'

You are saying that you don't know if you are still in the title race?
    'No.' Is it easier to say nothing Avram?
    'I don't what to answer. It is a good question. I don't know what to answer.'

Is this because of Sky?
    'No. Sky is ok. I enjoy watching them.'

Is it a protest against newspapers?
    'No. Why?'

Why else would you come in and refuse to answer our questions?
    'I answer every question.'

You are two points behind Manchester United and you don't know if you are still in the title race?
    'No.'

Have you told the players that you don't know if you are back in the title race?
    'What I tell the players is something else. You want me to tell you what I say to the players?'

We just want you to answer the question really. Are you in the title race?
    'I don't know.'

Would you not like to gain some positive publicity for the result rather than this bizarre silence?
    'I'm sorry. You can write whatever you want and I can answer what I want.'

Do you feel under pressure to deliver a trophy. Is that the reason for the monosyllabic answers?
    'No.'

Are you upset? Do you feel you have been misrepresented?
    'Maybe I have said because it is a bad season.'

Did Michael Essien faint?
    'He had some problems, but he is ok.'

Michael Ballack?
    'Injured.'

What's his problem?
    'Ask the doctor.'

He's not here Avram.
    'Well call him then.'

Have you ever played the yes/no game Avram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Personality to match his boring team. I suppose its apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Haha, good stuff.
    I assume this is cause Chelsea realised they were under contract that they had to talk to Sky, and have no choice in it unless they want to get sued. What do you do? Give the least interesting answers ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

selpher wrote: »
    A deserved win Avram?
    Grant said: 'Yes.'

What particularly pleased you about the performance?
    'I'm pleased.'

What in particular pleased you?
    After an eight second delay: 'I don't know.'

Is it a relief to win here?
    'Yes.'

You seem lost for words by the performance. Are you more satisfied with the performance or the victory?
    'Both.'

You seem distracted. Do you have a problem?
    'No problem.'

Is there an issue?
    'No. I'm ok. I have nothing to say.'

Do you have a message for the Chelsea fans?
    'You represent the Chelsea fans?'

They must believe you are still in the title race, do you have a message for them?
    'No message.'

Does this result mean you are back in it now?
    'I don't know.'

How many steps have you climbed to undertake this press conference?
    'I don't know.'

You seem less voluble than usual. Is it because of Sky TV moving the game to a Thursday?
    'Maybe it's because of you. I don't know. I am ok.'

You are saying that you don't know if you are still in the title race?
    'No.' Is it easier to say nothing Avram?
    'I don't what to answer. It is a good question. I don't know what to answer.'

Is this because of Sky?
    'No. Sky is ok. I enjoy watching them.'

Is it a protest against newspapers?
    'No. Why?'

Why else would you come in and refuse to answer our questions?
    'I answer every question.'

You are two points behind Manchester United and you don't know if you are still in the title race?
    'No.'

Have you told the players that you don't know if you are back in the title race?
    'What I tell the players is something else. You want me to tell you what I say to the players?'

We just want you to answer the question really. Are you in the title race?
    'I don't know.'

Would you not like to gain some positive publicity for the result rather than this bizarre silence?
    'I'm sorry. You can write whatever you want and I can answer what I want.'

Do you feel under pressure to deliver a trophy. Is that the reason for the monosyllabic answers?
    'No.'

Are you upset? Do you feel you have been misrepresented?
    'Maybe I have said because it is a bad season.'

Did Michael Essien faint?
    'He had some problems, but he is ok.'

Michael Ballack?
    'Injured.'

What's his problem?
    'Ask the doctor.'

He's not here Avram.
    'Well call him then.'

Have you ever played the yes/no game Avram?

He has the personality of Pat Kenny!
    How on earth are they going to leave him as the manager next season.
    The players must look at him and laugh on a daily basis

Because hes doing well.Nobody expected us to be in the position we are now.He deserves one full season at least.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7319619.stm

GRANT HAILS VITAL CHELSEA VICTORY --

"We were behind Manchester United from the beginning of the season so it never was in our hands. It is in our hands to do our job and that is what we did."

eh .. you didn't do your job, you dropped 2 crucial points AT HOME against Wigan !!!!

• Advertisement

jackdaw wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7319619.stm

GRANT HAILS VITAL CHELSEA VICTORY --

"We were behind Manchester United from the beginning of the season so it never was in our hands. It is in our hands to do our job and that is what we did."

eh .. you didn't do your job, you dropped 2 crucial points AT HOME against Wigan !!!!
    your a very angry chelsea fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Looks like Ballack,Lampard,Drogba and Essien will miss the 1st leg.Pretty much means we'll either have SWP in the midfield 3 or else we'll go 4-4-2.It will be very interesting to see how Mikel performs in this match, he was excellent the other night and will have a lot of responsibility to go forward.Ballacks a huge loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

that interview that was posted up is pure quality! i laughed again when i read it, he actually has a sense of humour after all!

Because hes doing well.Nobody expected us to be in the position we are now.He deserves one full season at least.

worst nightmare possible, that clown given a transfer kitty, we'd have Jens Lehman playing as striker in september.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fair play

Nice to see a Chelsea fan supporting the team and manager for a change, especially only being 2 points behind the leaders in April and a CL semi final coming up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement