Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is long enough

Options
  • 03-10-2007 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting nearly 3 x months for a rifle licence. Been passed for security by CPO, range membership paid, How long before I can claim I'm being messed around ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Three months is over the odds to wait, but time isn't sufficient to claim you're being messed about. It is more than enough time, however, to go talk to your superintendent about it and ask to see your record under the data protection act so you can see what's in there that's holding up your application...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

have you been back on to the guards about it? i had the same problem with my shotgun, but the guard in charge of firearms here at the time was pretty decent and he gave me a cover note while i was waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

What area are you in OP and what sort of rifle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Always, always, always ask for a date and time on when you should be contacted regarding the license. Never settle for a "we'll see" or "I'll be in touch". If you can't get a definite date on a reply, offer one yourself and absolutely hound them.

If they're taking the piss after a few months seek legal advice on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Comments taken on board, I will contact super tomorrow

• Advertisement

GilGrissom wrote:
    What area are you in OP and what sort of rifle?

Tipp South, Swede Mauser 6.5x55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What recourse is available if they are messing you around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bond-007 wrote:
    What recourse is available if they are messing you around?

None at present. Always helps to talk though. Ask questions politely, make it a weekly event that you enquire and generally prove that you're not going to go away.

It's been "sent to Dublin", this good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

Ring Pheonix park ,look for firearms section give them the serial number and they wont be long tilling you if your application is "sent to dublin " or not .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I am waiting 5 weeks for a new shotgun licence. I spoke to the guard who deals with them in the local station and he looked into it for me. Apparently they wait till there is a significant amount to input in the park before stepping to it and if your in Luck you can have it back in two weeks or like me who applied in August........well frustration all the way, I am like a kid when the post man comes. Go ring the guard and ask him what is the story, it could be in an in tray, most Firearms officers have other duties and if stuff gets dropped on top of your licence :(

Three months is extracting urine, the longest I waited was 8 weeks for a shotgun, the rifle cert I got back after 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

Three months is extracting urine, the longest I waited was 8 weeks for a shotgun, the rifle cert I got back after 2 weeks

I was made wait 3 months for my first rifle licence. I was told that the timescale was 4 to 6 weeks at the time of application. After 8 weeks I got phoning up every week to chase it up. I had just given up hope when the envelope dropped thru the door. Postman was glad too that I gave up stalking him. :)

I applied for a shotgun licence only last monday and was told 3 weeks to a month for it to arrive. I shalln't hold my breath.

Is a month a realistic prospect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Is a month a realistic prospect?[/QUOTE]

Depends where you are and what the FO is like and thats about the size of it .We are fortunate enough down here to have a decent fella in office ive never waited anymore than 3 weeks for anything and ive often gotten them in less than 2 .
    It will be interesting to see what happens when he retires and the new man steps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

How about this, pal of mine applied for 6.5x55 back in 2005, he already had shotgun and .22, took ELEVEN MONTHS to get it, then the copper told him you are lucky to be getting this as you shouldnt have two rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

That doesn't surprise me at all .My brother in law applied for a shotgun licence 3 years ago in kildare and the local guard told him he wasn't "MATURE" enough to have a gun .At the time he was the most mature 17 yo i knew.By the way he still doesn't have a gun it turned him right off shooting for life.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

How about this, pal of mine applied for 6.5x55 back in 2005, he already had shotgun and .22, took ELEVEN MONTHS to get it, then the copper told him you are lucky to be getting this as you shouldnt have two rifles.

I waited 1 month for shot gun 1998,3 weeks for .22 1999, 11 months for my 6.5x55 2001
    And 3 weeks for .40s&w Semi-auto Pistol in 2006!! I wonder how long for a .338 lapua as well??:D

depends on your local guards... i was waiting about 2 months for my first licence (shotgun), but they gave me a cover note after just a couple of weeks which was pretty decent,

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Went to local station with application for .223 at end of May, rang up about 5 weeks later to enquire, "I thought I'd save you payin for the licence renewal, I'll send it in in a week or two" was the reply from the friendly garda.
    A few phone calls since and I've been promised an answer this
    Wednesday, but I'm not holdin my breath......
    Fingers crossed.....

smallfry

smallfry wrote:
    Went to local station with application for .223 at end of May, rang up about 5 weeks later to enquire, "I thought I'd save you payin for the licence renewal, I'll send it in in a week or two" was the reply from the friendly garda.
    Fingers crossed.....

smallfry

Be interesting to see if you are granted the licence for a 223. Keep us posted, what area are you in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

smallfry wrote:
    Fingers crossed.....

smallfry
    A friend of mine had his application for a rifle sat on for months by a local garda. The application never left the station. It was only after a few calls to the right people that the application moved and was granted within 3 weeks after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

revan23 wrote:
    depends on your local guards... i was waiting about 2 months for my first licence (shotgun), but they gave me a cover note after just a couple of weeks which was pretty decent,
    What is this cover note you speak of and are they easy to obtain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

i had just started working in the shop a good few years ago,one sat morning a guy walked in looking for advice on a .22lr for starting out,so after about 20 mins of showing him some examples he settled on his .22,scope,mounts etc,filled out the revelent paperwork and handed over the total amount.I then told him the process involved in getting the licence,waiting times to which he told me he would be "back after lunch to collect it",this was at about 12:50am and we were closing for lunch,we didnt take any notice of the comment at the time (strange comments woundnt be unusual from customers at times).
    so at 2pm when we reopened,at the fax machine was a copy of the guy licence!! and about 10 mins after that he arrived in asking did his fax come through for us ,a new irish record of 70 mins,and yes we had to ask how he got it that quick simply saying he was a civil servent used to work in the "park".

Bond-007 wrote:
    What is this cover note you speak of and are they easy to obtain?

Not an official document, usually a letter from Garda to dealer that he can hand out firearm. Means licence will be granted, only a case of waiting for it to come ?

.243 wrote:
    i had just started working in the shop a good few years ago,one sat morning a guy walked in looking for advice on a .22lr for starting out,so after about 20 mins of showing him some examples he settled on his .22,scope,mounts etc,filled out the revelent paperwork and handed over the total amount.I then told him the process involved in getting the licence,waiting times to which he told me he would be "back after lunch to collect it",this was at about 12:50am and we were closing for lunch,we didnt take any notice of the comment at the time (strange comments woundnt be unusual from customers at times).
    so at 2pm when we reopened,at the fax machine was a copy of the guy licence!! and about 10 mins after that he arrived in asking did his fax come through for us ,a new irish record of 70 mins,and yes we had to ask how he got it that quick simply saying he was a civil servent used to work in the "park".

All about who you know, not what you know

the cover note, its just a letter from your guard in charge of firearms with a stamp on it... it basicaly allows you to go pick up your gun and start shooting while you wait for your licence to arrive, i would say they only give these out if they are 100% sure you wont be refused.

Not an official document, usually a letter from Garda to dealer that he can hand out firearm. Means licence will be granted, only a case of waiting for it to come ?

I'm getting deja-vu - see message #24 .....................

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Be interesting to see if you are granted the licence for a 223. Keep us posted, what area are you in ?
    I'm in the Wesht, I'll let ye know either way.....
    (that h ^ is for effect)

smallfry

Got phone call today, I've to meet Super for an interview regarding my application on Friday morning..............omininous................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Got phone call today, I've to meet Super for an interview regarding my application on Friday morning..............omininous................

No. That's good. Super is minded to grant the licence but just wants to meet you to make sure you're not a total header (which of course we all know you are :D ).

Be straight with him, don't get belligerent or bolshie and start pointing to the firearms acts. Just give good sound reasons why you want it and why other calibres won't work for you.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote:
    No. That's good. Super is minded to grant the licence but just wants to meet you to make sure you're not a total header (which of course we all know you are :D ).

Be straight with him, don't get belligerent or bolshie and start pointing to the firearms acts. Just give good sound reasons why you want it and why other calibres won't work for you.

Thanks for advice, me a header, my doctor said I was only a little nut, or was it a bolt ? :D

Advertisement